Toe to Toe.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Toe to Toe....

superpanavision70mm
06-16-2006, 08:49 PM
Ok, which player in a toe to toe matchup would win?

DENON 2910
MARANTZ DV 7600

shokhead
06-17-2006, 04:39 AM
The cheapest if your going digital otherwise bells and whistles and BM and i guess some take into account the remote.

westcott
06-19-2006, 09:08 AM
Denon 2910.

NO CONTEST!

shokhead
06-19-2006, 10:03 AM
I'm thinking the 7600 is built abit better and might have better bm but with the difference in price of what,150 bucks? I sure like the Marantz.

topspeed
06-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Ok, which player in a toe to toe matchup would win?

DENON 2910
MARANTZ DV 7600
You tell me

superpanavision70mm
06-19-2006, 06:04 PM
I have had my Denon 2910 for about 2 months now and I am loving every second of it. I have had Marantz players in the past...not the DV 7600, but I would be curious to see how that model performs.

N. Abstentia
06-19-2006, 07:01 PM
On paper and by reputation, Marantz by a mile.

But I've not tested those two players specifically so there's only one way to find out for sure...

topspeed
06-19-2006, 07:57 PM
On paper and by reputation, Marantz by a mile.

Interesting statement. Upon what do you base this opinion?

On paper, differences are very hard to discern, especially when Marantz doesn't let you know what processors they employ while Denon is only too happy to boast their Burr/Brown and Faroudja DCDi chipsets. S/N ratios, freq. resp., etc. is within a few dB's of each other. Perhaps one telling sign is this: DV7600 - 10.1lbs, 2910 - 18.75lbs. Weight doesn't correlate to better performance, but it does tell you something about the parts employed.

As far as rep, the 2910 is one of the most well reviewed and respected universals extant. Granted, Marantz has really come on strong the past couple of years, but it's a bit of stretch to say it beats Denon "by a mile," this model in particular. In fact, I couldn't find one review that stated such.

That said, the only to be sure is to compare them yourself and choose whichever floats your boat. I have both Denon and Marantz gear, so I could care less either way.

Woochifer
06-19-2006, 11:03 PM
Interesting statement. Upon what do you base this opinion?

On paper, differences are very hard to discern, especially when Marantz doesn't let you know what processors they employ while Denon is only too happy to boast their Burr/Brown and Faroudja DCDi chipsets. S/N ratios, freq. resp., etc. is within a few dB's of each other. Perhaps one telling sign is this: DV7600 - 10.1lbs, 2910 - 18.75lbs. Weight doesn't correlate to better performance, but it does tell you something about the parts employed.

As far as rep, the 2910 is one of the most well reviewed and respected universals extant. Granted, Marantz has really come on strong the past couple of years, but it's a bit of stretch to say it beats Denon "by a mile," this model in particular. In fact, I couldn't find one review that stated such.

That said, the only to be sure is to compare them yourself and choose whichever floats your boat. I have both Denon and Marantz gear, so I could care less either way.

Not to mention both brands are owned by the same company (D&M Holdings), and have entered into a joint manufacturing venture where the higher end components from both brands would be built at the same facility in Japan (?). (This was announced over a year ago, but I don't know whether the facility has opened yet)

Not sure if this applies to the DVD-2910 or DV7600, but something to keep in mind with any comparisons between Denon and Marantz. For years, Marantz was more of a higher end label for Philips than anything until D&M Holdings was formed by acquiring and merging the Denon and Marantz brands.

The DVD-2910 is indeed a nice player. It was on my shortlist until I opted to get a dedicated SACD player instead of a universal player for the time being. I'm not so sure though that the 2910 weighs 18 lbs. I know that the previous model DVD-2900 weighed at least that much because it shared the same chassis with the DVD-3900.

shokhead
06-20-2006, 05:09 AM
That was my mistake,getting sacd only. More DVD-A titles so now its on to a universals. BTW,the Yamaha C950 also has Burr-Brown and Faroudja DCDI.