Building speaker stands... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Building speaker stands...

HD newbie
06-16-2006, 01:10 PM
Just curious what the best listening hight would be. Where I sit (sweet spot) my head is at about 37" from the ground. I was gonna build the stand 39" to the absolute top of the speaker.. Would this be just right or too high or to low ?? Please let me know.

Cheers :smile5:

Hyfi
06-16-2006, 02:23 PM
Just curious what the best listening hight would be. Where I sit (sweet spot) my head is at about 37" from the ground. I was gonna build the stand 39" to the absolute top of the speaker.. Would this be just right or too high or to low ?? Please let me know.

Cheers :smile5:

Tweeters at ear level has always been the recomendation.

Woochifer
06-16-2006, 02:41 PM
The appropriate height would depend on the height of your speakers. I use 18" stands with my Paradigm Studio 40s because they are taller than typical bookshelf speakers. As hyfi stated, the normal recommended height is to have the tweeters at ear level.

If you decide to build stands for your surround speakers, keep in mind that the typical recommended height is about 2' above ear level. In my listenings with adjustable stands, I find that about 1' above ear level is fine for most multichannel sources. (my stands go up to 45" in height, and my preferred level for multichannel music is about 38" -- this does not include the height of the speaker itself)

kexodusc
06-16-2006, 03:35 PM
Just remember, it's usually easier to find something to raise the speaker an inch or two than it is to lower it an inch or two.
The further back you are from the speaker, the less important height becomes.