My Morning Jacket [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My Morning Jacket

3-LockBox
06-16-2006, 01:06 PM
Speaking of crappy band names ;)

I find that I enjoy this Davey rec :eek:

reminds me of Chizel in a way...with less distortion.

Very musical and interesting, using a mix of protopunk guitar with atmospheric reverb and vocal harmonic flourishes like Mercury Rev or Flaming Lips, without those bands' penchant for overt quirkiness.

They even explore '70ish adult rock using mixes of acoustic strumming, slide electric guitars and keyboard ala Gerry Rafferty in a song like Knot Comes Loose, which is almost reminescent of what used to be termed 'progressive country'.

But otherwise its not modern indie this band emulates, but more the late '80s or early '90s band like the Pixies or Teenage Fanclub.

Davey
06-16-2006, 02:44 PM
You wanna see something fun, check out their performance on Letterman last Thursday backed up by some of the Boston Pops, performing "Gideon". Amazing. Dave even made their name sound cool in the intro :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXEHOS6p2o8

BinFrog
06-19-2006, 04:11 AM
I saw them open for Pearl Jam a bunch of times last month and I thought they were decent. I'm going to try and find some shows on BT later.

ForeverAutumn
06-19-2006, 04:50 AM
You wanna see something fun, check out their performance on Letterman last Thursday backed up by some of the Boston Pops, performing "Gideon". Amazing. Dave even made their name sound cool in the intro :)

That's good stuff. Does he scream like that on the album? I was really enjoying it until that point, then it lost me...but gained me back again when I realized how good the music behind the scream was.

Davey
06-19-2006, 07:13 AM
That's good stuff. Does he scream like that on the album? I was really enjoying it until that point, then it lost me...but gained me back again when I realized how good the music behind the scream was.
I love the scream! He really lets go on that performance. It's really only the first couple seconds where it breaks into a scream, after that it comes more under control like on the album. On the album version, the strings are by our mutual fave Andrew Bird, who contributes his violin (and other stringed instruments) and whistling skills on a few songs. Those Boston Pops players really made it a striking performance on Letterman. Fun seeing everyone in tuxes, especially when they really get rocking!

Troy
06-19-2006, 07:54 AM
Bad scream.

I stand by my opinion that rock bands look ridiculous backed by orchestras.

BarryL
06-19-2006, 08:46 AM

Thanks for the link. Hey, it's the new The Who!

Sounded great. Have they done a rock opera yet? Can't be long now, if they're working with an orchestra.

I think they look good in tuxes.

Ex Lion Tamer
06-19-2006, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the link. Hey, it's the new The Who!

Sounded great. Have they done a rock opera yet? Can't be long now, if they're working with an orchestra.

I think they look good in tuxes.

Good call! The first time I heard MMJ, thanks do Davey, it was The Who that most quickly and lastingly came to mind. I like the performance, but it hangs up before halfway through so I haven't seen/heard the scream yet.

Dusty Chalk
06-19-2006, 09:32 PM
I like the scream, as well as the rest of the song. As well as it being done by slightly overweight guys with beards in tuxes. "Fuzzy penguins".

Mike
06-20-2006, 01:18 AM
What an outstanding performance, makes the album version sound a bit lightweight now. As for the scream at least he's in tune - most of the time, thanks for the link

Cheers
Mike