View Full Version : getting "better" SQ

audio amateur
06-16-2006, 05:54 AM
I'm curious to know what you guys think of these...:
http://www.dakiom.com/index.htm

never heard of them.

hermanv
06-21-2006, 11:25 AM
According to their own web site , these devices are designed to fix unstable feedback loops from improperly designed amplifiers.

Me, I'd get a properly designed amplifier:)

audio amateur
06-22-2006, 05:10 AM
hehe thanks. Me too...

Mtbrider
06-22-2006, 12:39 PM
I tried them for awhile in two different systems. Although they initially seemed to improve the bass response, I ultimately felt that they had a negative effect on transparency, so I sold them.

Resident Loser
06-23-2006, 07:56 AM
I'm curious to know what you guys think of these...:
http://www.dakiom.com/index.htm

never heard of them.

...of tweaky stuff that unscrews my cork...

Negative feedback, the process of feeding a part of the flip-flop of the output into the input, in an effort to lower distortion, is designed into an amplifier and it happens within the amplifier's circuit path...Inside...not outside.

How can any external device have any effect on something that is a part of the closed-loop of the signal path within the amplifier itself?...

Can it effect the sound? Yes, but so can aftermarket wires with terminating networks. Is it better? More accurate? Entirely subjective?

jimHJJ(...straight wire with gain?...)

markw
06-23-2006, 08:00 AM
According to their own web site , these devices are designed to fix unstable feedback loops from improperly designed amplifiers.

Me, I'd get a properly designed amplifier:)Sounds suspiciously like a Zoebel network to me.

hermanv
06-26-2006, 09:34 AM
Negative feedback, the process of feeding a part of the flip-flop of the output into the input, in an effort to lower distortion, is designed into an amplifier and it happens within the amplifier's circuit path...Inside...not outside.

How can any external device have any effect on something that is a part of the closed-loop of the signal path within the amplifier itself?...
jimHJJ(...straight wire with gain?...)Without supporting these devices in any way, its worth pointing out that the summing node for the internal feedback loop of many amplifiers is the input base or grid of the first stage. So you bet an external reactance applied to this same circuit node could effect the loop behavior.

This helps explain parts of "system synergy" the fact that certain components or cables may work better or have a larger effect with some equipment than with other equipment

Resident Loser
06-27-2006, 06:04 AM
Without supporting these devices in any way, its worth pointing out that the summing node for the internal feedback loop of many amplifiers is the input base or grid of the first stage. So you bet an external reactance applied to this same circuit node could effect the loop behavior.

This helps explain parts of "system synergy" the fact that certain components or cables may work better or have a larger effect with some equipment than with other equipment

...not buyin' it...these thingies are connected to the power amp's speaker outputs and while their effect may be audible, I can't see how they would have any effect on the internal feedback loops which are located far upstream (and fairly isolated) from these devices and their connection point.

Add to that, that each amp's design tend to have differing amounts of feedback and these things seem to be a one-size-fits-all affair, not really optimized to reflect such differences.

jimHJJ(...as markw suggested Zobel network anyone?...)

hermanv
06-27-2006, 09:50 AM
...not buyin' it...these thingies are connected to the power amp's speaker outputs and while their effect may be audible, I can't see how they would have any effect on the internal feedback loops which are located far upstream (and fairly isolated) from these devices and their connection point.

Add to that, that each amp's design tend to have differing amounts of feedback and these things seem to be a one-size-fits-all affair, not really optimized to reflect such differences.

jimHJJ(...as markw suggested Zobel network anyone?...)

In most designs, the output stage of an amplifier is the most in need of feedback correction so the signal from the last stage is usually included in the feedback mix. Feedback is a broad term, global feedback normally means from the last point on the output to the first point in the input, it is both the best way to apply feedback and worst way because it is easy to introduce unplanned results an thereby get it wrong (read up on slewing induced distrortion and transient induced distortion).

So global feedback is traditionally taken from the output signal as far downstream as possible and then applied to the input stage as far upstream as possible. This means the actual speaker leads in the case of a power amplifier. In the case of a tube amp, picking feedback from the actual speaker leads will include the output transformer inside the feedback loop, in the case of a transistor amp the signal from this point is often used for both feedback and amplifier output stage protection. Putting a complex reactance (capacitor and inductor network?) to ground at this point can change the amplifier feedback or protection signal.

Again, I think the concept is probably a bad idea. Designers may have made any number of decisions about how to shape the feedback signal (that signal is usually shaped by some kind of network) and second guessing the designer seems unwise.

If the design is poorly executed so that these things help, I stand by my original comment - buy an amplifier that is not poorly executed.

As to Zobel networks, all of them have a corner frequency, traditionally that corner is the frequency at which the voice coil inductance starts to significantly increase a given driver's impedance. Zobel networks allow previous crossover stages to work into a fixed load (4 or 8 ohms for example). Putting a Zobel ahead of the crossover accomplishes little,. Plus, is that Zobel designed for the tweeter, the mid range or the woofer? A single compromise network is very unlikely to actually work.

markw
06-27-2006, 06:08 PM
Putting a Zobel ahead of the crossover accomplishes little,. Plus, is that Zobel designed for the tweeter, the mid range or the woofer? A single compromise network is very unlikely to actually work.Neither. It's designed in order to increase the inductance that the amp's output stage sees in order to minimize any oscillations that can arise from a poorly designed amplifier, or speaker cables with dangerously low inductance, which seem to be all the rage lately.

hermanv
06-28-2006, 09:51 AM
Neither. It's designed in order to increase the inductance that the amp's output stage sees in order to minimize any oscillations that can arise from a poorly designed amplifier, or speaker cables with dangerously low inductance, which seem to be all the rage lately. 1. A Zobel series R - C network will decrease not increase the impedance (inductance).
2. In any event, this is incorrect, that is not the main purpose of a Zobel. A Zobel network is part of a speaker crossover design, not part of an amplifier design.
3. Short speaker cables also have low inductance. Nothing dangerous about using short cables to your speakers, low inductance is not dangerous.

If your amp becomes unstable with zero length speaker cables it is a badly designed amp, think hard about getting a better one. Good speaker cables attempt to mimic no cable, that is an ideal speaker cable would look like a cable of zero length so it would have zero Ohms, zero picoFarads and zero microHenries.

What does a Zobel accomplish? Say you have a midrange and you decided to roll it off at 3KHz. Using a first order network an 8 Ohm driver would need 425uH of series inductance to acheive that result. If the driver voice coil inductance is not taken into account, the roll off above 3 KHz will not be 6 dB per octave, it will be less because the voice coil inductance causes the nominal 8 speaker impedance to rise at frequencies somewhere above mid band.

However markw is partially correct that it will also somewhat decrease the amplifer load impedance, the problem is that most multi-way speaker crossovers have lots of inductors, mostly much larger in value than the voice coil inductance. Look at any typical speaker impedance vs frequency plot, mostly those positive peaks in impedance are inductive by nature.

royphil345
06-28-2006, 11:00 AM
"speaker cables with dangerously low inductance"

Oh please!!!!

Smack yourself around a little and wake up!!!

markw
06-28-2006, 11:49 AM
"speaker cables with dangerously low inductance"

Oh please!!!!

Smack yourself around a little and wake up!!!This can be deadly for some high strung (i.e. poorly designed) amplifier designs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naim_Audio

"The company's pre- and power- amplifiers, especially, are carefully matched electrically and are designed to be used together. Dire warnings attach to experimentation with other manufacturers components, particularly in the case for some "high-end" loudspeaker cables, whose inductance/capacitance characteristics present unstable loads to the high-current devices used inside Naim power amplifiers — these have been documented to cause damage to same (not covered by warranty)."

We ran into this problem with a client in the early 80's. Plain zip cord worked fine but his expensive botique cables brought this Niam amp to it's smoking knees. ...all because of low inductance, high capacitance cables.

royphil345
06-28-2006, 12:26 PM
Any different load presented by a different freaking piece of wire is absolutely insignificant compared to the different loads presented by different drivers and crossovers.

If Naim really weaseled out of their warranty claiming that speaker wire destroyed their amp... that's absolutely disgusting, your client was a fool for buying it, and you obviously bought it too.

If it's not true... Naim should sue you for slander.

"We ran into this problem with a client in the early 80's. Plain zip cord worked fine but his expensive botique cables brought this Niam amp to it's smoking knees"

Would someone who sold "Naim" know how to spell it?... LOL

markw
06-28-2006, 12:32 PM
Any different load presented by a different freaking piece of wire is absolutely insignificant compared to the different loads presented by different drivers and crossovers.

If Niam really weaseled out of their warranty claiming that speaker wire destroyed their amp... that's absolutely disgusting, your client was a fool for buying it, and you obviously bought it too.

If it's not true... Niam should sue you for slander.I didn't lose any money on he deal. In fact, we got paid quite well for solving it.

Gee, it almost sounds like you're a bit angry that I was able to back up my claim. Why should I be sued. Where did I mention any names? But, anyhow, to some of us that were around at that time this story is common knowledge.

royphil345
06-28-2006, 12:41 PM
You didn't back up anything. The garbage on the web is just that.

You really didn't mention any names... You said you witnessed "Niam" practicing shady business. Although, you implied "Naim" by your link.

markw
06-28-2006, 01:07 PM
You didn't back up anything. The garbage on the web is just that.

You really didn't mention any names... You said "Niam" practiced shady business. Although, you implied "Naim" by your link.Well, obviously my first hand experience isn't enough to convince you but that''s fine. I'm used to being doubted but that doesn't alter the truth.

I could suggest you visit a certain cable forum at another unnamed audio site where meds are perscribed for the inmates on a regular basis, but I doubt it would do any good. You wouldn't believe then, either. Even crazy people speak some truth.

Now, I've dropped more than enough hints that you should be able to discern the site I'm refering to if you are interested enough to investigate further on your own.

TTFN

royphil345
06-28-2006, 01:24 PM
Your "first hand experience" is obviously BS because you couldn't even spell "Naim".

I don't care if 1 or 100 people tell me something that's so obviously false to anyone with some real knowledge... I'm still not buying it!!!... LOL

markw
06-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Your "first hand experience" is obviously BS because you couldn't even spell "Naim".

I don't care if 1 or 100 people tell me something that's so obviously false to anyone with some real knowledge... I'm still not buying it!!!... LOL...and I'm not selling anything!

Well now, I guess since I transposed a few letters I'm out of the running , eh?

Tsk... tsk.. .you know what they say about posters who stoop to playing spell check, don't you?

My reputation as an objectivist here speaks for itself and, if I have the noive to come out and say that a wire can make a difference, you can be dang sure I've experienced it.

royphil345
06-28-2006, 01:46 PM
"My reputation as an objectivist here speaks for itself and, if I have the noive to come out and say that a wire can make a difference, you can be dang sure I've experienced it"

I absolutely agree that wires networks can sound different. I absolutely, strongly, and violently disagree that using the wrong freaking speaker wire will damage an amplifier. It bothers me when such crap is spread around on the internet. It could be used to steal someone's money.

"Well now, I guess since I transposed a few letters I'm out of the running , eh?"

When the letters are transposed in a brand name you're supposedly very familiar with... Yes, it is VERY likely that you are lying.

"Tsk... tsk.. .you know what they say about posters who stoop to playing spell check, don't you?"

Uh... No I don't... If you had any balls, I suppose you'd tell me...

"Tsk... tsk.. ."

Tsk... tsk.. . Are you freaking serious... Tsk... tsk??? Are you like the world's biggest geek or something???!!!

markw
06-28-2006, 01:54 PM
OK, I will. It means you're out of steam and that's your last resort.

It comes right before name calling, which I see you resort to in the next post.

And, all this stuff happened before Al Gore invented the internet* and, most likely, you were still a wet spot on your daddy's inseam. Did you read the dates?

*WEll, compuserve was just starting up but that's a different animal.

royphil345
06-28-2006, 01:58 PM
You're full of hot air and POOP!!!

Oh... And there's no difference between speaker wires that will actually cause damage to an amplifier. That stuff has been around since the laws of physics came to be.

Tsk... tsk... BBBBWWWWAAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAHHHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

markw
06-28-2006, 05:02 PM
I see that rather than learn you would prefer to call names. I can see your momma raised you well. Too bad daddy didn't stick around to help. Then again, with a kid like you, who could blame him?

royphil345
06-28-2006, 06:17 PM
Well... I see that rather than learn, you prefer to live in your fantasy world where using high-end speaker wire can destroy your amplifier.

You need to wake up, join reality...

Pedro is never going to be the president of anything in real life. Star Trek isn't real. An amplifier isn't going to be damaged by using high-end speaker wires!!!!

WAKE UP YOU FREAKY, CREEPY, NAME CALLING, LYING, MENTALLY CHALLENGED PIECE OF GARBAGE!!!

At least I know you're not my kid 'cause I did your momma' in the butt!!! That ugly freakin' horse face woulda' been too much!!!

Nobody, no matter how well they were raised, is going to put up with a freaky loser like you. Of course, you probably already know that. Do you think people on the internet will treat you any differently???

We'll see what Naim has to say about not honoring their warranty when high-end speaker wires are used. We'll see what they think about you posting your "stories" in public.

markw
06-28-2006, 10:26 PM
Well... I see that rather than learn, you prefer to live in your fantasy world where using high-end speaker wire can destroy your amplifier.

You need to wake up, join reality...

Pedro is never going to be the president of anything in real life. Star Trek isn't real. An amplifier isn't going to be damaged by using high-end speaker wires!!!!

WAKE UP YOU FREAKY, CREEPY, NAME CALLING, LYING, MENTALLY CHALLENGED PIECE OF GARBAGE!!!

At least I know you're not my kid 'cause I did your momma' in the butt!!! That ugly freakin' horse face woulda' been too much!!!

Nobody, no matter how well they were raised, is going to put up with a freaky loser like you. Of course, you probably already know that. Do you think people on the internet will treat you any differently???

We'll see what Naim has to say about not honoring their warranty when high-end speaker wires are used. We'll see what they think about you posting your "stories" in public.Gee, wotta crybaby. What, time to change your diapies? You get trounced in public and go threatening legal action because you are wrong, eh? Yep, you sure can dish it out but you still can't take it.

What, you gonna have 'em gonna sue wikipedia and A/R? Get real. You've been reading too many comic books, kid.

Wassamatta' kid? Like to dish it out but can't take it, eh?

Your opening statement, and each subsequent one, was progressively more confrontational and insulting than the previous, even after I initially maintained a civil nature. You don't want to exchange ideas, you want to insult people who have different ideas and more experience than you. If not, you would explore and learn rather than fling insults like a grade school child with no upbringing.

Yep, you're an Internet baby, all right. Brought up taking anonymity for granted. You've got keyboard balls when mommy isn't watching you . You'll say things behind that which you would never say in person.

What, don't like that web site, do ya? Why? Because it shows that there's more to this world than your widdle mind can conceive? Get used to it, kid. You're in for some biiiiiiig disappointments when you grow up. Life is like that kid.

I once THOUGHT you had some sense but your actions here sure proved me wrong. You're just a widdle poser who doesn't even do his own laundry yet.

I'm so glad you've come out and shown your true colors to everyone. Happy now? Real proud of yourself?

OIh, and as far as nobody wanting to put up with a freaky loser like me, well, my wife, three grown boys and five grandchildren seem to have no problems with me. And there you are, still living in a polygamous state with Rosy Palm and her five sisters.

Now , run along child. you annoy me.

TTFN. kid. Markw out

royphil345
06-29-2006, 04:21 AM
You just keep proving that when you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, you just make stuff up!!!!

You are a freak!!! Nobody has ever deserved a "virtual butt kicking" more than you!!!

Tell your "stories" somewhere else freak!!!

I'll say it one more time...

THAT IS A FACT!!! AN ABSOLUTE FACT!!!

You can piss and moan all you want... tell your little lies... talk down to me...say crap about my mother...do your little "Tsk.. tsk.." (FREAK!!!)...

But, none of it will change that this is a FACT. None of it will change the FACT that you are a HUGE IDIOT for believing otherwise.

Nothing will change the FACT that you are a creepy, freaky idiot who makes ridiculous statements on the internet, then makes up stories and whines and cries alot to try and back them up.

THESE ARE FACTS THAT CAN BE SUPPORTED BY INFORMATION THIS THREAD. NOT THE CREEPY FANTASY STORIES TOLD TO YOU BY THE VOICES IN YOUR HEAD. CAN YOU TELL THE DIFFERENCE? IT APPEARS NOT.

GET HELP FREAK!!!

royphil345
06-29-2006, 04:48 AM

THAT IS A FACT!!! AN ABSOLUTE FACT!!!

markw
06-29-2006, 05:04 AM

THAT IS A FACT!!! AN ABSOLUTE FACT!!!"Parasitic Oscillation
This is the major problem that plagues all solid-state amplifiers. Instability appears as bursts of oscillations (Mega Hz) on the music waveform. This causes RF interference and can easily destroy tweeters. This oscillation cannot be heard directly, but the result is sometimes head as a low level high-frequency swishing sound. Some audiophile amplifiers are inherently unstable. They can burst into oscillation simply by changing speaker leads. Amplifiers competing for higher specifications can exaggerate this problem.

An average amplifier increases the input signal to the speaker by approx 50 (Signal gain 1:50). The amplifier is initially designed with a gain of approx 20,000 (open loop gain). The open loop gain is reduced to approx 50 by the output being feed back to the comparator (negative feedback). The greater the 'open loop gain' before being feed back, the higher the specifications, but the less stable the amp becomes. Some audiophile amplifiers have open loop gains exceeding 1Million. Speaker outputs of all amplifiers have a damping circuit (Zobal) to help suppress parasitic oscillation."

http://www.lenardaudio.com/education/12_amps.html

markw
06-29-2006, 05:17 AM
"3) Some designs of Power Amplifier (and in some cases a faulty amplifier) can produce parasitic oscillations or become unstable when used with some cables. Typically with loudspeaker cables that have a relatively high shunt capacitance. Most professional or commercial modern designs of amplifiers should not show this problem under any domestic circumstances if used as intended. Hence this should not be a problem. However in some cases it may occur, and will alter the performance of the amplifier, than thus may have an audible effect."

http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/AudioMisc/cables/ukracables.html

markw
06-29-2006, 05:32 AM
"One (potentially major) drawback ocurs if you own certain amplifiers that are unstable with capacitive loads. Typical multiple twisted pair cable has about 9nF per metre of capacitance with little resistance or inductance, which causes many amplifiers to go into parasitic oscillation. The fix is simple, wind twelve turns of wire around a pen and put it in series with the beginning of the cable. This tiny coil has far less inductance than even one metre of twin flex.

This description of the possible issues with speaker cables is the first I have seen that makes some sense from a technical perspective. There is sufficient evidence from my own measurements and those of many writers that there are indeed some detectable (and measurable) differences. With this in mind, and wanting to provide all the information I can, I have included this information - and this is the one area where properly sized and well made cables really does make a difference. If you own speakers that present a highly capacitive load, or have deep "notches" in the impedance curve, I would take this information seriously."

http://www.audiocourses.com/esp/cables-p2.htm#spkr-leads

royphil345
06-29-2006, 05:34 AM
"may have an audible effect."

Notice it didn't say... And your amplifier may burst into flames because you used the wrong speaker wire???!!! BBBBWAAAAAAHHHHAAAAHHHHAAAAA!!!

Did the voices in your head say that???

Tsk... tsk.. BWWWWWWWAAAHHHHAAAAHHHHAAAAAAA!!!!

markw
06-29-2006, 05:44 AM
"may have an audible effect."

Notice it didn't say... And your amplifier may burst into flames because you used the wrong speaker wire???!!! BBBBWAAAAAAHHHHAAAAHHHHAAAAA!!!

Did the voices in your head say that???

Tsk... tsk.. BWWWWWWWAAAHHHHAAAAHHHHAAAAAAA!!!!When I use the term "smoking knees" that does not necessarily imply sparks and flame, but shutting down until the now defective output stage was replaced.

I must say, that's quite a "virtual butt kicking" you gave me here.

I can see where your ignorance in this matter has grown into full fledged denial, which can roughly be attributed to stupidity.

Oh well, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. At least the true depth of your knowledge and willingness to learn more about this hobby has been brought to light. I'm pretty sure that anyone following this thread now has a yardstick upon which to measure the validity of what you may say in the future.

I guess you know all you will ever need to know.

royphil345
06-29-2006, 06:17 AM
"Oh well, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. At least the true depth of your knowledge and willingness to learn more about this hobby has been brought to light. I'm pretty sure that anyone following this thread now has a yardstick upon which to measure the validity of what you may say in the future."

IS THAT A FACT, FREAK?... OR IS THAT WHAT THE VOICES SAY??? AM I REALLY SUPPOSED TO CARE ANYWAY, YOU FREAKY, CREEPY, WEIRDO???!!!

FREAK!!!

Any different load presented by using a different freaking piece of wire is absolutely insignificant compared to the different loads presented by different drivers and crossovers. FACT

markw
06-29-2006, 06:32 AM
"Any different load presented by using a different freaking piece of wire is absolutely insignificant compared to the different loads presented by different drivers and crossovers. FACTYep, you just go ahead and keep believing that. How's that blue pill taste, kid?

royphil345
06-29-2006, 07:02 AM
"How's that blue pill taste, kid?"

BWAAAAHHHHHAAAAHHHAAAAAA!!!!!!! FREAKY GEEK!!! Go play with your video games and GI Joes!!!!

Any different load presented by using a different freaking piece of wire is absolutely insignificant compared to the different loads presented by different drivers and crossovers. FACT

Resident Loser
07-05-2006, 05:30 AM
Yep, you just go ahead and keep believing that...

...it must be somethin' in the friggin' water !!! Either that or they've opened the gates of the idiot asylum...

For anyone who might be interested in the truth, even the self-avowed wire-guru, JR hisself, has stated on these very forums, that some wire designs can inter-react with less than optimally designed amplifiers, causing oscillations that can, and in some cases do (as was my case) send the amp to an early demise.

Early on, in the nascent days of the cottage industry of wire-isn't-just wire (late 70s? early 80s?) I purchased some Polk Cobras from my local snoot-shop, audio emporium...all I was lookin' for were some specific DTD pressings...yada, yada, yada...they looked cool, the conductors woven together looking like climbing rope and after all I was an audiophile on the cutting edge...I buys 'em, replace my zip with them, and one day, poof!!! a puff of green smoke, the scent of ozone and electrolyte spewed about the PCBs...As per the repair tech, lacking any other evidence, the wire was the most likely culprit...That amp, wired with 10ga zip works even today and my speakers have no crossover components...

So yeah, can wires do things?...you betcha...

jimHJJ(...mostly they can relieve you of spare cash...)

royphil345
07-05-2006, 07:00 AM
I would have to believe there was a short somewhere. Bad insulation, connectors, speaker problem, etc... or that it was just a coincidence...

I will not ever believe that using different speaker wires can damage an amp.

Any difference in load presented by using different speaker wires is absolutely dwarfed in comparison to the difference in loads presented by different drivers, crossovers, and music.

How did you get from "lacking any evidence" to "most likely" to "you betcha'"?

Resident Loser
07-05-2006, 07:47 AM
I would have to believe there was a short somewhere. Bad insulation, connectors, etc... or that it was just a coincidence...

I will not ever believe that using different speaker wires can damage an amp.

...people relegate every electrical problem to the ubiquitous "short"...The Cobras were not short-circuited then and they still aren't...at least my Sperry VOM didn't show one, nor did my Simpson, nor did my Triplett ...neither analog nor digital-type showed anything out of the ordinary for a piece of wire...not a "dead" short, not a high-resistance one...no individual-conductor ground faults (nor a place for there to be one)...there was no manipulation of the wires, they just lay there...no mouse bites, no dog pee, no gnawing rug-rats...a short, is a short, is a short...generally speaking, they don't go away...wet can dissipate and the resistance change reflects that and they weren't wet. There was, however, a capacitive difference.

Do you believe wire can behave like a tone control? That smaller gauge wires can roll-off the high freqs? That as a result, folks claim (and rightly so) that some wires can can provide more bass? Even though the relationship is relative, wire can sound different and depending on the architecture can measure quite differently in the salient LCR parameters...Zip is different from twisted is different from CAT5...it's all in the TPI...weave a CAT5 with it's roughly 24 Twists Per Inch or CAT5e @32TPI into one of the on-line DIY recipes and you can easily do a mischief to some amps...fact, not fiction...

Question of the day: Any idea how a fuse works?

jimHJJ(...work on that a bit...)

royphil345
07-05-2006, 09:49 AM
I'd imagine that many high-end interconnects could blow your amp sky high then, considering their effects are so greatly amplified.

I'm getting really worried now. How will I ever know if the WIRE I'm using is safe??? This is a frightening revelation indeed...

Wire with a "short" can test fine with a tester and arc at higher wattages.

Resident Loser
07-05-2006, 10:20 AM
I'd imagine that many high-end interconnects could blow your amp sky high then, considering their effects are so greatly amplified.

I'm getting really worried now. How will I ever know if the WIRE I'm using is safe??? This is a frightening revelation indeed...

Wire with a "short" can test fine with a tester and arc at higher wattages.

...realize we're talking speaker wiring and not ICs...

...realize the numbers required for arcing to happen? Think spark plug gaps and coil voltages...40kV to jump .035in.

jimHJJ(...ain't happnin' in your living room...)

E-Stat
07-05-2006, 10:38 AM
II will not ever believe that using different speaker wires can damage an amp.
Whether you believe it or not, it is true. The infamous Polk cables had a prodigious amount of capacitance coupled with low inductance that drove many a fine wide band amplifier nuts. Here is a link to an article Nelson Pass (then of Threshold) wrote in 1980. He specifically mentions having spoken with Matt Polk about this very issue.

http://passlabs.com/downloads/articles/spkrcabl.pdf

While the Polk achieved exceptionally low inductance, it did so at the expense of the high capacitance. There are many designs available today that do so without such a huge tradeoff. For example, my JPS Labs speaker cables have about a third the inductance of zip as well as offering both lower resistance and lower capacitance.

rw

royphil345
07-05-2006, 10:45 AM
LOL!!!...

Realize we're talking about audio cables... not spark plugs!!! (to almost quote someone I know) WAY less relevant than mentioning ICs!!!

The voltages sent to spark plugs are necessary to send a spark HOT ENOUGH for the most efficient operation of an internal combustion engine.

I've seen many cases of arcing / shorting in phone wires resting on basement floors. Wires can also arc to each other in a multi-conductor cable. Think you're dealing with less wattage there than what can go through a speaker cable.

Maybe I'd be willing to believe that a particularly poorly-designed cable with exceptionally high capacitance could cause some problems. My main problem on this thread was this statement: "speaker cables with dangerously low inductance, which seem to be all the rage lately." A statement that suggests high-end cable manufacturers are fools, blowing up amps left and right. And that low inductance in a cable is "dangerous".

Resident Loser
07-05-2006, 11:20 AM
LOL!!!...

Realize we're talking about audio cables... not spark plugs!!! (to almost quote someone I know) WAY less relevant than mentioning ICs!!!

The voltages sent to spark plugs are necessary to send a spark HOT ENOUGH for the most efficient operation of an internal combustion engine.

I've seen many cases of arcing / shorting in phone wires resting on basement floors. Wires can also arc to each other in a multi-conductor cable. Think you're dealing with less wattage there than what can go through a speaker cable.

...of a little knowledge being dangerous...

Like 10-18VAC. "A" batt, "B" batt or 48VDC or 105VAC@30Hz? Hey, Watson...were your 25prs. crushed...were the Amphenols wet after a flood or floor washing? Were your connecting blocks full of roaches and their detritus? Did you ever test your phone cables with a KS (or it's equivalent) meter? See the needle swing around at midscale? Whatcha' got there is an escape or a high-resistance S/C...Did it cause pre-trips? False holds? Xtalk? Other FEMF and/or grounding conditions?

Liquids conduct, without a doubt...the voltage/current required to jump an air-gap is dictated by the laws of physics...

I've been doing telecom and data installs and repairs probably longer than you've been on the planet...don't try to dazzle me with your technical brilliance...

jimHJJ(...probably couldn't find a cross in church...you're like a 51A lamp on three-volts...)

royphil345
07-05-2006, 11:49 AM
"don't try to dazzle me with your technical brilliance..."

Likewise...

And your "spark plug" comment was absolutely ridiculous for someone supposedly sooo knowledgeable...

"you're like a 51A lamp on three-volts..." ...........You're like a dork!!!...LOL!!! Bet you don't talk like to people's faces. Do you dork???

You know where you can put your spark plug... Right Sparky???

E-Stat
07-05-2006, 12:18 PM
My main problem on this thread was this statement: "speaker cables with dangerously low inductance, which seem to be all the rage lately." ...And that low inductance in a cable is "dangerous".
Agreed. Simply not true. The most neutral cables in my experience share low inductance and do not blow up amps. Mr. Polk (hardly a "high end" guy) simply screwed up back then.

rw

Resident Loser
07-05-2006, 12:28 PM
"don't try to dazzle me with your technical brilliance..."

Likewise...

And your "spark plug" comment was absolutely ridiculous for someone supposedly sooo knowledgeable...

"you're like a 51A lamp on three-volts..." ...........You're like a dork!!!...LOL!!! Bet you don't talk like to people's faces. Do you dork???

You know where you can put your spark plug... Right Sparky???

...was try to reduce the voltage/airgap ratio to a simple analogy most guys would understand...apparently not simple enough...

Face-to-face? No actually I'm much worse in person...no feeble software censor to contend with...or pencil-necked geeks.

You can either put up or shut up...why not answer even one of the questions I posed...oh, yeah no answers...just lotsa' Watts...

Dork? Is that the best you can come up with...now you have three of us telling you the same thing, but of course, you are right...

BTW, a 51A is a 10volt lamp, not particularly bright are you?

jimHJJ(...Like a Chinese phone book, you're just full of Wong numbers...)

royphil345
07-05-2006, 03:50 PM
"...As per the repair tech, lacking any other evidence, the wire was the most likely culprit..."

Oh yeah... and I just remembered that I also tested the wires using every method known to modern science...

Right!!!...

"...realize the numbers required for arcing to happen? Think spark plug gaps and coil voltages...40kV to jump .035in."

Oh... I wasn't using the spark plug analogy to try and prove how much voltage is required to cause arcing...

Right!!!... Sparky...

And that other guy with his "I used to sell Niam and..."........................Oh yeah.....Naim..........That's what I meant..........

Obvious lies and positively the dorkiest smarta$$ comments I've ever heard in my life!!! (almost beyond belief)... Why does everyone who's trying to tell me that high-end wires will destroy my amp have nothing more to offer?

GOOD question...

Is this "information" traveling in certain circles of people with a similar mindset? (rude, lying, know-it-all internet dorks who believe everything they read and keep squirming and twisting the facts to try and win an argument?)

Heck... I might even believe you guys if you didn't lie so much!!!

markw
07-05-2006, 04:31 PM
Agreed. Simply not true. The most neutral cables in my experience share low inductance and do not blow up amps. Mr. Polk (hardly a "high end" guy) simply screwed up back then.

rwHave you checked out AA's CA lately?

E-Stat
07-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Have you checked out AA's CA lately?
Translation please. There is a sum total of ONE post about inductance in the past two weeks.

rw

royphil345
07-05-2006, 10:53 PM
The whole internet audio community is abuzz!!!

Amps blowing left and right because of improper WIRE!!!

Wire with "gasp" LOW INDUCTANCE.. that are "shudder" ALL THE RAGE RIGHT NOW!!!

I can't believe this is really happening!!!

The Bible warned of this!!!

The natural laws have been shaken!!!

Once innocent and benign wires and cables will now destroy our stereos!!!

OH!!!... The humanity!!!

Run for yer' lives!!!

markw
07-06-2006, 03:25 AM
Translation please. There is a sum total of ONE post about inductance in the past two weeks.

rwdo a search on "zobel" over the past few months or years.

markw
07-06-2006, 03:38 AM
And that other guy with his "I used to sell Niam and..."........................Oh yeah.....Naim..........That's what I meant..........
,Where did I ever say I sold naim? You sure do assume much, child. There are other ways for him to be a "client", ya know. ...like, say, we ran generic in-wall wires that worked with his toys but his after markets didn't when he upgraed his amp and came to us to solve his problems?

You don't think too good when the blood covers your eyes, do you?

Tsk...Tsk... first, you stoop to spell checker, the intrernet sign of impotency, then you call three guys who were playing with these toys since before you were even conceived liars, and now you stoop to misquoting. ...getting a bit desparate, eh?

Gotta say, RP, you're lookin' like damaged goods here.

Poof! What's that sound? Why, I'd say it's royphil345's reputation going up in smoke!

Markw (lovin' Nashville...)

E-Stat
07-06-2006, 04:12 AM
do a search on "zobel" over the past few months or years.
You consider "recently" as spanning a period of years? Ok.

In the past two months, there were about three threads about Zobels. And...?

rw

Resident Loser
07-06-2006, 05:52 AM
"...As per the repair tech, lacking any other evidence, the wire was the most likely culprit..."

(1)Oh yeah... and I just remembered that I also tested the wires using every method known to modern science...

Right!!!...

(2)"...realize the numbers required for arcing to happen? Think spark plug gaps and coil voltages...40kV to jump .035in."

Oh... I wasn't using the spark plug analogy to try and prove how much voltage is required to cause arcing...
Right!!!... Sparky...

(3)And that other guy with his "I used to sell Niam and..."........................Oh yeah.....Naim..........That's what I meant..........

(4)Obvious lies and positively the dorkiest smarta$$ comments I've ever heard in my life!!! (almost beyond belief)... Why does everyone who's trying to tell me that high-end wires will destroy my amp have nothing more to offer?

GOOD question...

Is this "information" traveling in certain circles of people with a similar mindset? (rude, lying, know-it-all internet dorks who believe everything they read and keep squirming and twisting the facts to try and win an argument?)

Heck... I might even believe you guys if you didn't lie so much!!!

(1)...you can believe whatever you want...being one who always investigates and researches cause and effect (it must be the repairman in me), when my amp went south I did run some basic tests...Using digital and analog VOMs doesn't quite qualify as "...every method known to modern science..." Didn't have (or rely on) the interweb to run to crying "oh, what happened?"...that's how you learn...And it's all anecdotal...whether it's "My wife heard the difference coming up the drive" or the repair tech's comments...All FYI and FWIW...

(2)...I can make a spark with a 9VDC battery...WTF does that prove? Short out the terminals with a screwdriver...do it in the dark, it's more impressive...The point is the conductors are touching, there is no insulation, the 9Volts isn't jumping an air-gap...sparks is way different than arcing; it would seem your lingustic skills are on a par with your technical ones i.e. non-existent..., and do try to recall, you brought up the subject of arcing (AKA jumping said air-gap) in the first place as an example of your "expertise" in such matters...Arcing (due to the voltages involved) would leave evidence: burned insulation, conductor damage, that sort of thing.

(3)...markw never said he sold anything, mis-spelled or otherwise, now did he?

(4)...Who said anything of the sort? Try to keep up now, we'll take it r-e-a-l s-l-o-w...there are amps that react badly to certain commercial offerings and some DIY recipes...that's what was said...but you, in your profoundly myopic and defensive mindset, read it as an attack on after-market wiring in general...If such wiring blew-out every amp, there would be no market for them...they all don't do such bad things but, some of us realize they don't really do very much good either...wire is simply wire, anecdotal accolades notwithstanding. Who gives a r@t's @$$ how you spend your money or what you think you hear...I surely don't.

BTW, this thread isn't even about wire per se, it's about an outboard device that claims to rectify an internal "problem" re: feedback loops in amplifiers...hence the Zobel/terminating network reference and their use with certain wires with certain parameters.

You may wanna' take notes next time, you might actually learn something...

jimHJJ(...but I sorta', kinda' doubt it...)

markw
07-06-2006, 05:55 AM
You consider "recently" as spanning a period of years? Ok.

In the past two months, there were about three threads about Zobels. And...?

rwThe fact that is still pops up says that it's still an issue that's often overlooked. Perhaps not as pressing as death and taxes, but it's still an issue to be considered when designing cables.

Resident Loser
07-06-2006, 06:59 AM
...At my age yeah...

...it's all relative, eh? I still think of my pristine '91 Cherokee as a "new" vehicle...and if I think of something that happened a year ago chances are it was more like two or three years ago...Rule of thumb: whenever estimating a time frame, double it...

jimHJJ(...looks like you have your own albatross to contend with, eh?...)

Resident Loser
07-06-2006, 07:16 AM
Mr. Polk (hardly a "high end" guy) simply screwed up back then.rw

...there was a time when Polk (prior to the mass-market days) was the darling of the "in" crowd..."...screwed up..." or simply not confronted with intolerant amps at the time?

BTW, FWIW I bought those cables at a high-end shop who, in addition to Polk, also sold B&W and original Mark Levinson gear...they swore by 'em as the next big thing...

jimHJJ(...caveat emptor...)

GMichael
07-06-2006, 07:48 AM
What a great thread. I've learned so much today. Thanks for the cool read.

E-Stat
07-06-2006, 07:59 AM
...there was a time when Polk (prior to the mass-market days) was the darling of the "in" crowd..."
Really? So, what high end products did they make?. Don't get me wrong since I use Polk speakers in my HT system. Just have always considered them good stuff, not exceptional.

..or simply not confronted with intolerant amps at the time?
Bring on all those great sounding "intolerant" amps! I'll go with cable companies who achieve low inductance AND low capacitance.

...they swore by 'em as the next big thing.
Well, there is a benefit with using for low inductance cables with speakers like mine exhibiting low impedance at high frequencies. They just got the high capacitance thing wrong. :)

rw

royphil345
07-06-2006, 08:22 AM
Blah, blah, blah...

squirm

lie

same stuff

If I misunderstood you're association with Niam.... oh......... I mean Naim...

Why didn't you say so when it happened?

Or are you just going through this thread trying to find any way possible to make yourself look like a little less of a lier.

Ain't gonna' work... Sparky... LOLAS!!! (laughing out loud at sparky)

RUN FER' YOUR LIVES... IT'S THE WIRES!!!!!!!!!!!

JohnMichael
07-06-2006, 08:27 AM
One current cable that warns of possible problems with amps is Goertz Alpha-Core speaker cables. Their larger cables have a low impedance load that are rated at 2.5 and 1.7 ohms. They claim that a number of solid state amps can oscillate into a low impedance load and offer an RC link to be used in such cases.

Resident Loser
07-06-2006, 08:28 AM
Really? So, what high end products did they make?. Don't get me wrong since I use Polk speakers in my HT system. Just have always considered them good stuff, not exceptional.rw

...20-25 yrs ago, Polk's were considered to be of exceptional quality comparing well with the likes of Dahlquist and B&Ws at entry-level pricing...Again this is prior to the Matthew's "sell-out" to adverts and the BB and CC type of mass-marketing...

jimHJJ(...fickle bunch dem audio-types...)

Resident Loser
07-06-2006, 08:33 AM
Blah, blah, blah...

squirm

lie

same stuff

Or are you just going through this thread trying to find any way possible to make yourself look like a little less of a lier.

RUN FER' YOUR LIVES... IT'S THE WIRES!!!!!!!!!!!

...do be quiet you mindless dolt, the adults are talking now...

jimHJJ(...we'll let you know when the cartoons are on...)

Resident Loser
07-06-2006, 09:08 AM
...If I misunderstood you're association with Niam.... oh......... I mean Naim...

...since you are so quick to point out spelling errors and are so adroit at lexicological legerdemain, it's the adjective your as in the sense of possession, not the contraction for you are and it's liar not lier...the former being a fairly common error...the latter just plain stupid...

jimHJJ(...and we all had such high hopes...)

E-Stat
07-06-2006, 09:08 AM
One current cable that warns of possible problems with amps is Goertz Alpha-Core speaker cables. Their larger cables have a low impedance load that are rated at 2.5 and 1.7 ohms. They claim that a number of solid state amps can oscillate into a low impedance load and offer an RC link to be used in such cases.
If you visit their website, they are all about low impedance and low inductance. They kinda ignore the role of capacitance and thus have rather high numbers. Here are a few representative cable specs per foot:

Cable-------------------------Inductance----------------Capacitance--------------Resistance

Goertz-------------------------0.010 uH---------------------1500 pf----------------------0.0011 ohms
JPS Labs---------------------0.060 uH------------------------20 pf----------------------0.0020 ohms
Valhalla-----------------------0.096 uH------------------------11 pf-----------------------0.0026 ohms
12 ga zip---------------------0.210 uH------------------------24 pf-----------------------0.0034 ohms

rw

JohnMichael
07-06-2006, 09:23 AM
If you visit their website, they are all about low impedance and low inductance. They kinda ignore the role of capacitance and thus have rather high numbers. Here are a few representative cable specs per foot:

Cable-------------------------Inductance----------------Capacitance--------------Resistance

Goertz-------------------------0.010 uH---------------------1500 pf----------------------0.0011 ohms
JPS Labs---------------------0.060 uH------------------------20 pf----------------------0.0020 ohms
Valhalla-----------------------0.096 uH------------------------11 pf-----------------------0.0026 ohms
12 ga zip---------------------0.210 uH------------------------24 pf-----------------------0.0034 ohms

rw

Those specs are for their 7 guage cables. I use the MI1 which has less capacitance and has not caused any trouble with either my Rotel or CA 640A int. amp. I did read a review on a new Rotel where it had a melt down when the reviewer was using the MI2 cables.

E-Stat
07-06-2006, 10:04 AM
Those specs are for their 7 guage cables. I use the MI1 which has less capacitance and has not caused any trouble with either my Rotel or CA 640A int. amp. I did read a review on a new Rotel where it had a melt down when the reviewer was using the MI2 cables.
Gotcha. The capacitance drops to a third of that, but the impedance increases.

rw

E-Stat
07-06-2006, 10:14 AM
The fact that is still pops up says that it's still an issue that's often overlooked.
Fine. From what JM says, Goertz makes mention of its properties when using certain amps and offers a Zobel if necessary.

It would be interesting to hear if lowering the inductance by another factor of four or so (over zip) would benefit my electrostats. My tube amps would likely have no trouble with the capacitance.

rw

hermanv
07-06-2006, 10:44 AM
Near the front of this thread, I said low inductance was not a danger to amplifier stability. I and I don't think anyone else ever said high capacitance was not a problem. It is, specially for transistor amps with bandwidths up into the megahertz.

To re-iterate, a low inductance cable is the same as a short cable or no cable, it will not endanger any reasonably designed amplifier. On the other hand a high capacitance cable that does not also have high inductance (to partially offset the problem) can make amplifiers oscillate. This will make them sound awful, if it causes them to blow up, the amplifier is poorly designed (see magazine reviews where the amplifier output waveform is displayed at 1 or 10KHz while driving a 1.5 uF load, most of them ring. Ringing is OK under these conditions as long as the ringing waveform is damped, i.e gets smaller over time). ps. This is why reviews with numbers, charts and graphs are important, they may not tell you how it sounds, but they will tell you if the design is competent.

Badly desinged amplifiers can sound great, but you never know what change no matter how small will suddenly change their character. Suddenly this exotic hand built one of a kind amplifer doesn'tt sound great any more, did the tubes age?. Maybe the electrolytics lost 40% of their value due to age (yes, they do this). Did the cheap PCB absorb moisture? Did someone move a speaker cable so the magnetic field interacts with the amp. Stay away from this stuff unless you enjoy the endless battle to recover the way it once sounded a week ago, briefly between 10:30 and midnight..

E-Stat
07-06-2006, 10:55 AM
This will make them sound awful, if it causes them to blow up, the amplifier is poorly designed (see magazine reviews where the amplifier output waveform is displayed at 1 or 10KHz while driving a 1.5 uF load, most of them ring.
My comments about good sounding amps was related to the Nelson Pass article. The first Threshold 400As (circa 1978) blew fuses when the Polk cables first surfaced. He then made some changes to prevent that from occurring. That event, however, was over two decades ago.

Blowing up is another thing altogether!

rw

markw
07-06-2006, 11:40 AM
Blah, blah, blah...

squirm

lie

same stuff

RUN FER' YOUR LIVES... IT'S THE WIRES!!!!!!!!!!!Pretty soon you're gomna need oxygen to breathe.

WTF are you babbling about now? Your* inability to comprehend what I wrote in post 13? ..or are you trying, unsuccessfully, I might add, to weasel out of making yourself a laughing stock here.

*Note it's use here to indicate a possesive. "You're" is a contraction of "you are"

And, while we're at it, I think the word you were grasping for is "liar", not "lier"

Markw (Live from Nashville. You really should stop digging now... a smarter person would have seen how stupid their posts made them look and cut their losses and simply stopped making it worse long ago, but not you.)

hermanv
07-06-2006, 01:05 PM
My comments about good sounding amps was related to the Nelson Pass article. The first Threshold 400As (circa 1978) blew fuses when the Polk cables first surfaced. He then made some changes to prevent that from occurring. That event, however, was over two decades ago.

Blowing up is another thing altogether!rw I have been designing things for about 30 years, and guess what, occasionally I get it wrong. The issue here is what a reputable manufacturer does in this case. 1. He fixes it. 2. He offers some deal to previous customers to offset any problems the error may have caused.

I seem to remember the venerable Audio Research going through a phase where they had problems, they dealt with them and kept their position in the industry, others have screwed up as well. I think Bill Gates and Windows basically legitimized the idea that pretends that having customers pay for companies mistakes is OK.

topspeed
07-06-2006, 04:40 PM
Now THIS is the AR I remember.

Ahhh...good times...:ciappa:

audio amateur
10-22-2006, 01:11 PM
holy sh** I never thought I would 'create' such a thread!! sorry I wasn't bothered to get into all of it. Nice job

hermanv
10-22-2006, 05:39 PM
"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." Mark DonohueIf you feel like you're in control while driving your race car, then you don't have enough horsepower - Michael Andretti