The Roman 2.5 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Roman 2.5

hmmmm
06-15-2006, 01:27 PM
I don't have time to write much right now but here are some photos of one of the DIY towers. They sound awesome!

poneal
06-15-2006, 01:43 PM
the from the picture I opened up I can't even tell if it's a speaker or not. Does anyone else have this problem?

hmmmm
06-15-2006, 02:51 PM
The third one came out o.k. but I don't know what happened to the first two. I'll try again in a bit.

hmmmm
06-15-2006, 03:34 PM
Lets try this again...

superpanavision70mm
06-15-2006, 05:34 PM
So do you have specs on these bad boys?

kexodusc
06-16-2006, 03:42 AM
Great work, Hmmm.

Interesting feet/spike setup too. What do you think of the 2.5 way sound? I think it's a great compromise - more bass without losing the great imaging and soundstaging of a 2-way.

How'd you finish these? Vinyl? Paint?

hmmmm
06-16-2006, 04:19 AM
Well, the dimensions on the box are 9" X 42" X 13" With a 1 1/2" Baffle and base, with the rest 3/4" MDF. I painted these semi-gloss black. I'm so sick of paint!
As far as the base goes...I have a friend who works with iron, so I drew him a sketch for a plate that is screwed into the bottom. The spikes are from PE, and I cut a 1" dowel, drilled a hole in it to slide over the bolts, and then put a button on top.
I only have one speaker hooked up while the other is in the painting stages. From what I can tell so far, is that it sounds amazing. I'll give a better review when I get the other one hooked up.
I'm on my way to work, I'll get back to this.

hmmmm
06-24-2006, 09:49 AM
I finally finished the second tower and have everything calibrated. These towers sound amazing. The imaging on these speakers is outstanding. The biggest difference in these from my ar.com's is the extra punch in the bass. At first it almost sounded like too much bass but my wife and a friend of mine thought that they sounded a lot better than the AR's mainly because of the extra bass. Dire Straight's "Brothers in Arms" in DVD-A never sounded better! Now I have to get the rest of the system built so I can play it in surround. Right now the center channel sounds so much different, it is a bit annoying, so that's next on the list. If anyone needs a center channel to go with your AR.com's let me know. It's Ed Frias Extensively modified DV-62CLRS center channel. It's about a 1 1/2 years old.
That's it for now.

outfitter
07-10-2006, 06:24 AM
Did you use the rs180? Also, it's hard to tell from the photos-what tweeter did you use?

hmmmm
07-15-2006, 05:55 AM
Yes, I used two RS180's and a Seas 27tdfc from Madisound. I really like this tweeter. The more I listen to these speakers, the more I love them. Donald ***an's "Morph the Cat" on DVD-A sounds spectacular. The recording quality is first rate- you should check it out.

superpanavision70mm
07-17-2006, 04:30 AM
I wonder if the bass is similar to my PSB Image 7PT's....with the built in powered subs these things just booooooooom. Not just crappy low end like you hear coming from people with car systems, but that really sweet low presence that just makes you poop your pants.

hmmmm
07-17-2006, 04:29 PM
I wonder if the bass is similar to my PSB Image 7PT's....with the built in powered subs these things just booooooooom. Not just crappy low end like you hear coming from people with car systems, but that really sweet low presence that just makes you poop your pants.

I'm not familiar with the PSB's but these definately have a nice clean low end.
Last night I did Poop my pants!

Jim85IROC
10-31-2006, 11:36 AM
Care to share the crossover specs? I'm in the process of building an MTM with the same drivers, and after I complete it I'd like to build a 2.5 way to compare. It would be interesting to see your design to see how you've done it.

Thanks

hmmmm
10-31-2006, 05:32 PM
Here goes...
I stink at uploading files so I hope this works.

jocko_nc
11-13-2006, 10:28 PM
I have three "Romans" upstairs, 27TDFC's paired with Peerless HDS. Roman was kind enough to do the crossover calcs for me, great guy. They sound quite good. Good drivers.

I got a wild hair lately and switched them out for Klipsch Heresys... I have been really rocking out lately. They do rock...

jocko