AVR-1804 Fried--New A/V Receiver Recs? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : AVR-1804 Fried--New A/V Receiver Recs?

Jibba
06-14-2006, 08:15 PM
During lightning storm last week, my Denon AVR-1804 went out and when I booted it back up it only plays in stereo mode--no surround. That's a problem, seeing that I just spent $3k on a Paradigm 5.1 setup and Velodyne amp. I called a shop that I trust and they said that the surround processor is likely fried and will have to be replaced. Sounds about right to me.

I have two choices--repair this subpar power source (which cost $500, new 3 years ago) for whatever it costs to do the job, or view this as an opportunity to invest in a new and more adequate A/V receiver that will really power my setup.

Any recs from you pros on A/V receivers for around $1k or less? Liked the 1804 but need more power and probably HDMI.

BTW, I had a Monster Power Strip--and it clearly didn't do what it was supposed to do. Any recs on power strips that actually work and won't cost me thousands to repair/replace equipment?

likeitloud
06-15-2006, 02:32 AM
The Right receiver to drive those is the pioneer elite vsx 72txv $1000-$1200. 130w x 7
2 HMDI out, 1 in, and tons of features, and the best looking a/v receiver out there.
(its not close). I checked this out thru 4 boston vr m60's and it was soo smooth,
very powerful. It's out of my budget, but that was a great 20 minute test drive. One
step down is the vsx 56tx (no hmdi, pretty sure), also very clean and plenty of power.
Good Luck.

Pioneer VSX1015-TX
JBL Northridge E150 Powered Sub
JBL 4410A Studio Monitors(Front)
JBL Northridge E30(Surrounds)
JBL Cinema Vison CVCEN50 Center
JBL Northridge Satellites(Back Channel)
Pioneer Elite DV45A DVDA/SACD
Panasonic DVD F86K
Sony RCD W500C CD PLAYER/REC
AR Interconnects
Cobalt 14G Wire
Sanus Stands

As Long As My Brain And Fingers Work I'm Cool...Edward Van Halen

bfalls
06-15-2006, 04:43 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss, but behind every cloud, even an electrical smoke cloud, is a silver lining. I would love to be able to justify a new receiver,but the two I have (RX-V2095, ARV-3300) are old, but still going strong. I'm sure any one of the higher-end Denons would serve you well, or the Yamahas. I wonder how many others have horror stories about lightening storms. I'm also curious how many thought they were protected by a surge protector or power conditioner, but weren't. Any bad experiences out there about your Monster, Panamax, etc...

edtyct
06-15-2006, 04:53 AM
I was just passing by, and your predicament touched my heart. I just had a whole slew of A/V and computer equipment fried by a lightning strike. I take it that your insurance won't cover the damage, or that your deductible is too high ($500?). I'm a little out of my league, since I don't know anything about the various receivers' strengths and weakness, but I do know of a few receivers that sound awfully good. One of them, the Rotel RSX-1056, lists for $1300, though it's often available for $1100--and maybe even less now that the 1057 with HDMI switching is out. You can only find it at a speciality store within your area (or used at Audiogon/Videogon), but that inconvenience hardly matters to those who are sold on it. Maybe the lack of ubiquity and the slightly esoteric, no-bells-and-whistles approach works against it, but I still can't understand why Audio Review people seem oblivious to Rotel--and, while I'm on the subject, Arcam.

Edit, in answer to my pal, bfalls: I am protected by surge protection everywhere. No extra-curricular electricity entered my systems via that route. The lightning, which hit so close that I thought our roof must have caved, went through Comcast's cable, taking out cable modems, internet phones, routers, tuner, DVI switch, and (ahem) a Rotel receiver. The cable company is supposed to ground outside the house, but, truth be told, they often do a less than satisfactory job. Frankly, not much is going to impede a direct 2,000 volt attack. Until I can ground the cable satisfactorily outside the house, I'll be detaching the cable from the business inside whenever thunderstorms occur. I may do so regardless of ground.

GMichael
06-15-2006, 05:22 AM
There are many good receivers that can drive those speakers. The Pioneer above is a good choice. Also Denon & Onkyo make great receivers. I love my Yamaha. If you don't care about HDMI connectors you could pick up the RX-V2500 for a great price these days. Upgrade to the 2600 and you get the HDMI and upscalling. I believe that the Denon 3806 does the same.

likeitloud
06-15-2006, 06:06 AM
I have not had my rig up long enough for any problems, but I will NEVER take
a thunder storm lightly again. I live in nor cal, and we get plenty of storms in the
winter. I going to check the house ground, and rethink my surge protectors. I'm
using ar gear, and so far so good, but may get something more industrial. Sorry
for the loss of a great piece of gear. Good luck.

Pioneer VSX1015
JBL Northridege E150 Powered Sub
JBL 4410A Studio Monitors(Front)
JBL Northridge E30(Surrounds)
JBL Cinema Vison CVCEN50 Center
JBL Northridge Satellites(Back Channel)
Pioneer Elite DV45A DVDA/SACD
Panasonic DVD F86K
Sony RCD W500C CD PLAYER/REC
AR Interconnects
Cobalt 14G Wire
Sanus Stands