AVR-1804 Fried--Now What? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : AVR-1804 Fried--Now What?

Jibba
06-14-2006, 08:09 PM
During lightning storm last week, my Denon AVR-1804 went out and when I booted it back up it only plays in stereo mode--no surround. That's a problem, seeing that I just spent $3k on a Paradigm 5.1 setup and Velodyne amp. I called a shop that I trust and they said that the surround processor is likely fried and will have to be replaced. Sounds about right to me.

I have two choices--repair this subpar power source (which cost $500, new 3 years ago) for whatever it costs to do the job, or view this as an opportunity to invest in a new and more adequate A/V receiver that will really power my setup.

BTW, I had a Monster Power Strip--and it clearly didn't do what it was supposed to do.

paul_pci
06-14-2006, 08:27 PM
Most Monster power strips come with an insurance guarantee, so if it was a surge that the device was designed to protect against, you could make a claim. Otherwise, I don't see much sense in putting $500 into a repair when you could add a couple hundred to that and get a decent, or even more than decent, a/v receiver.

superpanavision70mm
06-14-2006, 10:27 PM
Have you thought about other means for preventing this from happening again? A power strip might have a insurance guarantee...that is ...if you registered it when you bought it. Usually it's a pain in the butt to get a settlement on that type of warranty anyway, so you may be better off spending some serious money and invest in something with really good protection and it will also help your performance. I am thinking something from PS Audio.

markw
06-15-2006, 03:13 AM
That's their stock and trade and they were into it long before it became a catch phrase in audio circles.

http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=221

GMichael
06-15-2006, 05:06 AM
It's the perfect reason to upgrade. The repairs would most likely cost you as much as the unit is worth. Tons of great new ARV's out there now.

jrhymeammo
06-15-2006, 05:59 AM
During lightning storm last week, my Denon AVR-1804 went out and when I booted it back up it only plays in stereo mode--no surround. That's a problem, seeing that I just spent $3k on a Paradigm 5.1 setup and Velodyne amp. I called a shop that I trust and they said that the surround processor is likely fried and will have to be replaced. Sounds about right to me.

I have two choices--repair this subpar power source (which cost $500, new 3 years ago) for whatever it costs to do the job, or view this as an opportunity to invest in a new and more adequate A/V receiver that will really power my setup.

BTW, I had a Monster Power Strip--and it clearly didn't do what it was supposed to do.

I was wondering if you could borrow a 5 ch amp and see if everything will perform the way it should. If you could use your Denon as a pre-amp, I woundn't spend another $500 on a receiver with similar power output. Getting a lightly used 5ch amp will give you more slam for your Paradigms and HT experience. How is your sub-out?

Jibba
06-16-2006, 12:57 PM
After looking into repair, and finding out that it would be about $250 to get it done (not including shipping), that's not an option.

I thought about getting a cheap, used replacement from craigslist or ebay but that's a bad idea. No sense in throwing good money after bad.

So I'm going to go with the AVR 2807--which a local dealer is selling for $950. Hopefully, barring any lightning strikes, I'll be set for a few years, anyway.

Question--what advantage is there to running HDMI from my Pana plasma through the AVR, rather than through the DirecTV HD receiver--which is the current configuration.

Thanks,

Jibba

paul_pci
06-16-2006, 02:09 PM
After looking into repair, and finding out that it would be about $250 to get it done (not including shipping), that's not an option.

I thought about getting a cheap, used replacement from craigslist or ebay but that's a bad idea. No sense in throwing good money after bad.

So I'm going to go with the AVR 2807--which a local dealer is selling for $950. Hopefully, barring any lightning strikes, I'll be set for a few years, anyway.

Question--what advantage is there to running HDMI from my Pana plasma through the AVR, rather than through the DirecTV HD receiver--which is the current configuration.

Thanks,

Jibba

A lot of folks have been having problems running hdmi through their receivers thus far. Plus, it doesn't support audio anyway, so you'll still have to run an optical cable to the receiver, so you might as well run the hdmi straight to the tv, until you can pick up a receiver (on both ends) that supports hdmi 1.3. Check the News&Rumors forum for the latest on hdmi 1.3.

shokhead
06-22-2006, 06:01 AM

Thanks,

Jibba

www.dakmart.com