What do I really need for lightning protection? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What do I really need for lightning protection?

BKSinAZ
06-13-2006, 07:20 PM
Gosh, I dont want to come off like a cheap dude, but I don't really have $550.00 to spend on a Panamax surge protector. :17: I recently bought a APC for my computer system for $150.00 that protects the entire computer systems, printers, monitors and such from lightning, why does a surge protector for a audio system cost so much...whats the difference in the two protectors??

What is the minimum that I can buy that would do the job and protect from lightning for the following gear below?

Sony SXRD 50 inch
Rotel RMB-1095
Denon DVD-2910
Yamaha RXV-2095
B&W speakers all around (5)

PAT.P
06-13-2006, 07:59 PM
Gosh, I dont want to come off like a cheap dude, but I don't really have $550.00 to spend on a Panamax surge protector. :17: I recently bought a APC for my computer system for $150.00 that protects the entire computer systems, printers, monitors and such from lightning, why does a surge protector for a audio system cost so much...whats the difference in the two protectors??

What is the minimum that I can buy that would do the job and protect from lightning for the following gear below?

Sony SXRD 50 inch
Rotel RMB-1095
Denon DVD-2910
Yamaha RXV-2095
B&W speakers all around (5)The dif is it's a Power conditioner,cleans the power and as filters.I use Panamax for my main system.APC makes some for audio system so does Belkin .

teledynepost
06-13-2006, 08:55 PM
A lightning rod?

Glen B
06-15-2006, 12:02 PM

Sony SXRD 50 inch
Rotel RMB-1095
Denon DVD-2910
Yamaha RXV-2095

The best protection from lightning is to unplug your equipment during an electrical storm.
In lieu of unplugging, the next best thing is a whole-house surge protector (if you live in your own house):
http://www.smarthome.com/4839.html

You can also get decent line conditioners with surge protection like these at a budget price. Look at these two products for under $250:
http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--FURPLPLUSDII
http://www.provantage.com/belkin-ap20800-10~7BELD010.htm

Jibba
06-16-2006, 12:52 PM
...and now my AVR 1804 is fried. Now, it's not like it's a $2k AVR or anything, but still, not pleasant to have a piece of equipment blow up due to a surge. I thought I was doing the right thing when I bought a $100 Monster surge protector but it obviously didn't do the job. Now, as my local AV dealer has said, nothing is perfect--depending on the "hit" you can get smoke that comes out of your sub and it will melt the cone--surge protector or not. I'll chalk it up to a freak occurence, get better protection (but not $550 worth) and hope it doesn't happen again.

Jibba

bonsaiguitar
06-16-2006, 06:29 PM
...and now my AVR 1804 is fried. Now, it's not like it's a $2k AVR or anything, but still, not pleasant to have a piece of equipment blow up due to a surge. I thought I was doing the right thing when I bought a $100 Monster surge protector but it obviously didn't do the job. Now, as my local AV dealer has said, nothing is perfect--depending on the "hit" you can get smoke that comes out of your sub and it will melt the cone--surge protector or not. I'll chalk it up to a freak occurence, get better protection (but not $550 worth) and hope it doesn't happen again.

Jibba

Nothing man made will protect your equipment from lightning strikes short of unplugging it.

Fergymunster
06-19-2006, 08:48 AM

Sony SXRD 50 inch
Rotel RMB-1095
Denon DVD-2910
Yamaha RXV-2095
Look at the monster home theater powerbar 1100 or 1000.However, it has 8 outlets and by what I counted you need 9.Furthurmore, I agree that a direct hit would cause substantial damage to to your whole house yet alone your equimpment.The montser is the next best thing to something like that happening.Additions to this unit are of course the clean power features of the powerbar that would enhance the performance of your equipment tremendously.

jerry22m
06-26-2006, 10:39 PM
You might also take alook at the specs on the Tripplite HT10DBS it can be found online for about $90

balloonknot32
06-27-2006, 08:21 PM
I would stay away from Monster products. In the Monster User manual they state to unplug your unit during a thunder storm. What kind of product are they selling then? I myself use Panmax products. I have a 5500-EX for my HT and a MAX 5100 in my bedroom set up. My thinking is you've spent some good money on equipment why not spend a little more to protect it all.

:cornut:

superpanavision70mm
06-27-2006, 09:19 PM
I am very much enjoying my Belkin PF60 for monitoring my power and protection. It offers level 4 power protection, isolated filters for audio and video, 2 high current outlets for amps, 7000 joule protection, 369,000 amp spike amperage, and many of the other perks of the Monster only I think it's better. That's just my opinion.

bonsaiguitar
06-28-2006, 04:40 AM
I would stay away from Monster products. In the Monster User manual they state to unplug your unit during a thunder storm. What kind of product are they selling then? I myself use Panmax products. I have a 5500-EX for my HT and a MAX 5100 in my bedroom set up. My thinking is you've spent some good money on equipment why not spend a little more to protect it all.

That's because nothing will protect your gear from lightning srtikes.

Fergymunster
06-28-2006, 09:37 AM

What Monster product are you refering to?