Tuesday - random [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday - random

-Jar-
06-13-2006, 09:50 AM
Um, Hi. What's going on.

Here's today's random playlist from my work computer..

Alice In Chains - Would?
Doves - Here it Comes
Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American
Meat Beat Manifesto - I Got the Fear Pt. 1
Black Flag - Police Story
Urge Overkill - Tequila Sundae
Jets to Brazil - Perfecting Lonliness
Buzzbucket - Mourning Wood
Boards of Canada - Magic Window
Black Flag - Revenge
Cave In - Deep Rising
Pixies - Alec Eiffel
Radiohead - My Iron Lung
Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas
Helium - Medieval People
Flaming Lips - Turn it On
Foo Fighters - Wind Up
New Order - Theives like Us
Electronic - Getting Away with it
Sebadoh - Supernatural Force
Sly & The Revolutionaries - Black Ash

and so it goes.

Mostly songs the past few weeks, not much else going on.

The new Appleseed Cast is great.

Heard a few new songs from Sonic Youth and they were good, so their new one is on my list.

Listened to some James, Jets to Brazil, Pink Floyd (yea, um, MEDDLE rules but you all knew that already), Sibelius, Mojave 3 and Slayer (of course).

-jar

audiobill
06-13-2006, 04:05 PM
Um, Hi. What's going on.

Here's today's random playlist from my work computer..

Alice In Chains - Would?
Doves - Here it Comes
Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American
Meat Beat Manifesto - I Got the Fear Pt. 1
Black Flag - Police Story
Urge Overkill - Tequila Sundae
Jets to Brazil - Perfecting Lonliness
Buzzbucket - Mourning Wood
Boards of Canada - Magic Window
Black Flag - Revenge
Cave In - Deep Rising
Pixies - Alec Eiffel
Radiohead - My Iron Lung
Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas
Helium - Medieval People
Flaming Lips - Turn it On
Foo Fighters - Wind Up
New Order - Theives like Us
Electronic - Getting Away with it
Sebadoh - Supernatural Force
Sly & The Revolutionaries - Black Ash

and so it goes.

Mostly songs the past few weeks, not much else going on.

The new Appleseed Cast is great.

Heard a few new songs from Sonic Youth and they were good, so their new one is on my list.

Listened to some James, Jets to Brazil, Pink Floyd (yea, um, MEDDLE rules but you all knew that already), Sibelius, Mojave 3 and Slayer (of course).

-jar

Hey, that's quite the list Jarman.

I've got to pull out the Sebadoh, Cave In, and Boards of Canada since it's been awhile since I spun those bands. Thanks for the nudge.

Personally, the verdict is out on the new Appleseed Cast. First couple of times it did not do it for me. I'll try again this weekend when I have some uninterrupted listening time.

Cheers,

Bill

N.P., Gretchen Wilson's fun album

Troy
06-13-2006, 04:14 PM
This afternoon's randumness.

Wanna talk about any of these? Some great songs in here.

http://www.designshed.com/tuesday.jpg

Dusty Chalk
06-13-2006, 05:41 PM
I've been anything but random lately -- been more into repetitive listening.

Right now I got the new Prestige box from Miles playing. This is good stuff.

Been playing the Liszt box that I picked up recently (Mazur). Mostly orchestral stuff, but the occasional piano'n'orchestra creeps in, especially on the last disk or so.

Also still digging on that Grimaud piano "fox" box. This one will probably end up ranking up there with Jarrett's Sun Bear Concerts, I.E. never gets old.

In the car, I get everything from Black Heart Procession (dig!) to the new Calexico (it's not as bad as it hit me on the first listen), to Kylie Minogue, to Vast's Turquoise and Crimson (probably LOTW -- very catchy and has got a lot going on, musically -- RIYL NIN, etc.) to Bonnie "Prince" Billy and Tortoise's collaboration record. I need to find those new Maquiladora releases, they've already released a new EP, and I haven't even picked up the LP.

I have no idea why I like Kylie so much, but I do. Here's a picture:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005A7E6.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Though I don't get to look at pictures of her much when I'm driving. Here's another picture (I have no idea why I like this one so much, except that one of my fantasies starts out like this):

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00009AQLL.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Now I have "Telecommunication" stuck in my head, and I have no idea where my Flock of Seagulls CDs are...

Mike
06-14-2006, 04:08 AM
Hey Jar nice to see Jets to Brazil in your playlist. I picked up 4 Cornered Hat and Orange Rhyming dictionary a while ago based on hearing a track on one of those Rave Rec Comps we used to put together and they are two really good albums, beats me why they aren't more popular.

My player has recently been spinning recent albums from...

Keane
Snow Patrol
Calexico
Gomez, new album which is a nice turnaround from their last album
Neko Case
Isoble Campbell and Mark Lanegan
Tosca
Royksopp

Cheers
Mike

Stone
06-14-2006, 07:14 AM
Yeah, I'm a big fan of Kylie too. How's her bout with breast cancer coming? Have you heard?

I've been listening to a fair amount of XM radio (mostly XMU, Fred, and Fungus channels). I've also been trying to wrap my brain around the Paper Chase album. Strange stuff.

Also, some blasts from the past:

The The - Infected

Cursive - Domestica

T Rex - Electric Warrior

Beatles - With the Beatles

Chesterfield Kings - The Mindbending Sounds of ...

audiobill
06-14-2006, 08:27 AM
[QUOTE=Troy]This afternoon's randumness.

QUOTE]

Troy:

How do you get the iTunes playlist to post?? Neat trick. I'd like to learn how.

Thanks,

Bill

Troy
06-14-2006, 09:21 AM
[QUOTE=Troy]This afternoon's randumness.

QUOTE]

Troy:

How do you get the iTunes playlist to post?? Neat trick. I'd like to learn how.

Thanks,

Bill

All I do is take a screen shot, crop and save as jpg, upload it to my server and thar she blows. Takes about a minute and a half.

Dusty Chalk
06-14-2006, 11:38 AM
Yeah, I'm a big fan of Kylie too. How's her bout with breast cancer coming? Have you heard?No, I haven't heard.

Davey
06-14-2006, 11:51 AM
As the saints go marching on towards Zion with guns in hand

Been listening to Texas-Jerusalem Crossroads a lot lately, the debut from Lift To Experience from a few years ago. Just such a big, sprawling, epic concept spread over 2 CDs. Lots to love about it. Has that cool Spiritualized sound, but with the drugs replaced by religion.

Now the time has come when you must decide
To take two steps toward Texas tonight
So follow the lone star in the sky and beg for the angels to guard
and to guide

audiobill
06-14-2006, 05:03 PM
[QUOTE=audiobill]

All I do is take a screen shot,.

Okay, silly question: How do you take a screen shot??

audiobill
06-14-2006, 05:15 PM
Been rediscovering a real gem of an album that I'd put away, until today, and had been reminded by an email from Swish of what a great band this is.

The band/album is Over the Rhine's 2003 release "Ohio".

This CD is fitting the bill perfectly, this evening. More daylight (it's 9:06 p.m.), a fine german beer and a lovely churhcill are blending together perfectly with "that voice" -- the voice of Karin Bergquist -- pure joy -- and the piano of Linford Detweiler -- pure laidback comfort. In fact, the track "Professional Daydreamer" aptly captures the mood.

Alas.... "Ohio" is the only disc of this band that I own.

Any suggestions as to what in this band's catalogue I should explore next??

audiobill

Davey
06-14-2006, 06:14 PM
Okay, silly question: How do you take a screen shot??
You're right Bill, that is a silly question http://forums.audioreview.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

Just press the [prt sc] key on most machines to capture the whole screen to the clipboard, then paste into any image editor like Paint or IrfanView or whatever to crop, resize and/or save in the image format you want such as jpg or gif. Alternatey on some machines you have to press the [ctrl] [prt sc] combo. If you just want the active window then press the [alt] [prt sc] combo.

Don't get too dangerous (and double check that there isn't any personal and potentially embarassing info on the image of your desktop that you wouldn't want one of the millions of regulars here at Rave Recs to see :)).

BradH
06-14-2006, 08:31 PM
double check that there isn't any personal and potentially embarassing info on the image of your desktop

It's not my Sponge Bob game. It's my son's, I SWEAR it is!

InfranView rules. I can't believe it's free.

Exposing your desktop. I don't know, seems kind of personal.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

tentoze
06-14-2006, 08:40 PM
For me, slowest year for new music in 4 or 5 years. Only thing that's really slapped me is still Willie Nile's Streets of New York. Willard Grant Conspiracy's Let It Roll (NP) is a distant second. Everything else has been mediocre at best.

Mike
06-15-2006, 01:38 AM
A couple of albums doing it for me so far are...

Lou Rhodes - Beloved One
The former singer with Lamb weaves her fantastic voice through a collection of folk orientated sounds.

Tunng - This is Tunng
Folk sounds again but with a twist of electronica, it sounds like it shouldn't work but it does.

Gomez - How We Operate
More acoustic than any of their previous albums, but a band with two great vocalists and excellent musicianship.

Cheers
Mike

audiobill
06-15-2006, 12:18 PM
Okay.... Troy & Davey.

This is a test -- do not adjust your sets!!

Hope it works.

audiobill

Stone
06-15-2006, 12:35 PM
"Ring My Bell"!!!

Yes!

Troy
06-15-2006, 02:09 PM
Hope it works.

Now engage shuffle (pictogram button lower left) and then sort the tracks by the track number (left of "Names") and you'll have yer random playlist.

How's that Secret Machines? I liked Nowhere a lot.

audiobill
06-15-2006, 05:21 PM
"Ring My Bell"!!!

Yes!

Heh, heh, heh... just wondering if you'd notice. Nice to see there's someone out there who's awake. Heh, heh, heh.

audiobill
06-15-2006, 05:36 PM
[QUOTE=Troy

How's that Secret Machines? I liked Nowhere a lot.[/QUOTE]

I really like the new one, Ten Silver Drops, from the Secret Machines. It has a Spiritualized vibe going for it with an eerie David Bowie sound, from his spacier days(and I mean this in the best possible way). "Daddy's in the Doldrums" is a cool freak-out that I especially enjoy from the album. I, also, like the production values on this last one... more crispy new wave edge, than the one before.

Hope this helps,

audiobill

nobody
06-15-2006, 06:03 PM
Jusat thought I'd mention that I was out and about on a nice warm day, driving around listening to the <b>Trojan Records 12" Box</b> and it is an absolutely amazingly good collection. Beautiful summer vibes that hooks in newcomers with stuff like Bob Marley's Small Axe and keeps going with everything from Dennis Brown to Mighty Diamonds to Lee Perry and more...3 CDs, all tracks full 12" versions. For a bunch of reggae cheap, I can't think of a better way to go than the Trojan collections. They've got a ton of different ones for under 20 bucks. So far, this one, followed closely by the dub collections, has been the best of the bunch.