speakers for marantz7200 ??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : speakers for marantz7200 ???

chopr761
06-13-2006, 07:47 AM
:confused5:

need suggestions on speakers that would suit a marantz7200 amplifier... any suggestions ??? preferably floor standing speakers. Cheers.

markw
06-13-2006, 08:43 AM
Provide specifics, such as:

1) How many speakers: two, five, six or seven?

2 Are you asking about a subwoofer too, or do you consider that a separate purchase?

3) And last, but not least, what kind of money are you hoping to spend?

4) For # 3, view lines one and two as separate purchases.

5) What's your taste in music? Chamber music or hip hop?.

6) While not imperative, you might indicate where you are located. Some items are not universally available and, sometimes, people near you might know of some great deals locally.

Resident Loser
06-14-2006, 11:17 AM
:confused5:

need suggestions on speakers that would suit a marantz7200 amplifier... any suggestions ??? preferably floor standing speakers. Cheers.

...completely different!!! I actually like this integrated quite a bit and was considering it but, I need more connectivity than it affords, otherwise it looks promising...

Given that the 7200's output is 95Wpc RMS in class AB mode, you can run most anything you choose...An inefficient speaker will draw around 5 Watts or so while crusin' @ 80-85dB SPL, musical peaks will demand more output as power is logarithmic in nature. Generally speaking, with all but the most demanding of speaker loads (4 Ohms and less) you should be OK.

Given that the 7200's output is 25Wpc RMS in the optional class A mode, you need to be a bit more cautious and will need loudspeakers that are a bit more efficient...A more efficient loudspeaker (i.e. horn-driven, bass reflex) will have you chugging along at about 1 Watt or so at those same SPLs. On musical peaks you still should be OK, although the downside to class A operation can be heat and thermal protection issues.

As markw pointed out we need some answers...How loud do you play your tunes? What do you listen to? Have you listened to anything you might be considering? Price range?

jimHJJ(...and since you will be paying for them YOU oughta' like 'em...)

subtle
06-14-2006, 01:57 PM
Hi chopr761,another newbie and PM7200 owner here. I don't know how much help this will be but all i can do is tell u what i use. I recently,after a lot of time searching,got my hands on a pair of Mission 720s,they're old speakers,circa 1980,large 3-way stand mount speakers and they sound stunning with this amp. I never take the amp out of class A and it drives them comfortably. Unfortunately they're not easy to find but do come up on ebay once in a while. Probably not much help to u but as i say just thought i'd tell u what i use,but as the others have said get down to your local hi-fi shop and try different speakers with your amp. The right ones are the ones you like the sound of.

superpanavision70mm
06-14-2006, 10:20 PM
I've only heard two speakers connected to Marantz amps....Definitive and B&W. Both seemed well suited, but i'm not sure what type of performance you are looking for and what type of budget you want to work with. Both manufacturers were the floorstanding models.