Help me buy a budget cd player [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help me buy a budget cd player

ninetynine
06-12-2006, 07:21 PM
I'm considering these players

marantz cd-5001
cambridge 340c or 540c
rotel rcd-02 ( do they still make this player in Canada?)

any major differences between each one of these? what do you think?

jrhymeammo
06-12-2006, 08:00 PM
This gotta be the most asked question on threads.

Have you tried Search option?

audio_dude
06-13-2006, 11:22 AM
yup, do a simple search, easy is that

JohnMichael
06-13-2006, 12:30 PM
I own the Marantz CD5001 and find it to be a smooth and detailed player for the money.

Fergymunster
06-13-2006, 04:43 PM
I'm considering these players

marantz cd-5001
cambridge 340c or 540c
rotel rcd-02 ( do they still make this player in Canada?)

any major differences between each one of these? what do you think?
Audioadvisor.com has the Cambridge Audio 640c v1 for $299.You might well consider that as it is an exceptionable cd player for the money.

RoyY51
06-15-2006, 08:33 AM
You might want to add the Nad C542 to your list. It has wonderfully smooth sound, no grate, and tight, well-defined bass reproduction. Check the reviews on this site as well as those from the audio rags. I bought mine from DMC Electronics in Garden Grove CA for $100 off retail. I think they also sell online.

Happy Hunting!

markw
06-15-2006, 01:50 PM
Can't get too much more budget and maintain reasonable quality than this.

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/MARCC4300

I picked one up a few months ago and am loving it.

Vercus
06-16-2006, 08:03 PM
The only problem with the Marantz CD Players is the less than reliable transports. I've had the CD-5400 (Predecesor to the 5001) for a while and it has had frequent disc read/play problems, long load times, etc. I usually have to take the disc out once or twice before it reads it. When it does work it is a good sounding player.

The same pretty much applies to the CC4300. We are a home theater installation firm, and a Marantz dealer, and put them in frequently. They are extremely picky about CD-Rs, half my collection won't play on it at all, so I use a Denon, which reads everything. Also, 3 of the last 5 we got in had drawer problems out of the box, the other one developed carousel problems within a few months after installation. Just something to keep in mind.

I would check out Denon's offerings (this coming from a Marantz dealer no less..lol)

-Jon

ninetynine
06-16-2006, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm pretty sure i'm going to go with the cambridge a540c v2 player. It fits into my budget and I haven't heard one bad comment as of yet. Anyone have any experiences with cambridge cd players?

markw
06-17-2006, 03:07 AM
The only problem with the Marantz CD Players is the less than reliable transports. I've had the CD-5400 (Predecesor to the 5001) for a while and it has had frequent disc read/play problems, long load times, etc. I usually have to take the disc out once or twice before it reads it. When it does work it is a good sounding player.

The same pretty much applies to the CC4300. We are a home theater installation firm, and a Marantz dealer, and put them in frequently. They are extremely picky about CD-Rs, half my collection won't play on it at all, so I use a Denon, which reads everything. Also, 3 of the last 5 we got in had drawer problems out of the box, the other one developed carousel problems within a few months after installation. Just something to keep in mind.

I would check out Denon's offerings (this coming from a Marantz dealer no less..lol)

-JonIt sounds great, though. I can just hope I got lucky or, perhaps, just perhaps, they fixed it when they got it back and refurbished it.

...and I believe in that big fat guy in a red suit, too. ;)

Vercus
06-17-2006, 10:55 AM
MarkW,
I should add though, that these are shipped to us by UPS, so who knows what THEY did to them on the way! :confused5:

-Jon

emorphien
06-17-2006, 11:23 AM
You might want to add the Nad C542 to your list. It has wonderfully smooth sound, no grate, and tight, well-defined bass reproduction. Check the reviews on this site as well as those from the audio rags. I bought mine from DMC Electronics in Garden Grove CA for $100 off retail. I think they also sell online.

Happy Hunting!
Agreed. Got mine for about the same price as you then :)

musiclover60
06-17-2006, 10:38 PM
Simple suggestion.
Listen to all 3 and decide which one you like the best. Check out the reviews for build quality and reliability. Then decide.
Only you know what sounds right for you
Listen, Listen, Listen

RPGII
06-18-2006, 08:01 AM
For CD playback, I found an inexpesive diamond in the rough, the 5 disk capacity Sony SCD C2000ES, it can be found new on the net for about $289 today. You can also get some exposure to SACD playback with this unit as well, although I think it falls down a bit playing SACD's. Good luck and happy listening!

superpanavision70mm
06-18-2006, 08:20 AM
Wouldn't you be better off going with a universal disc player made by someone like Denon or even Cambridge that will play anything....CD, DVD, SACD, etc?

topspeed
06-19-2006, 12:17 PM
I use a 540c in my office rig and it's worked flawlessly for a couple of years now. This is saying something as I've usually got it on "repeat" for around 10-12 hours a day. Very well built, gold plated inputs, detacheable IEC, proprietary transport (not Sony or Phillips) and hi-end Wolfson DAC's. For around $300, it's very tough to beat IMO for sound quality as well as build quality. Plus, the remote is built like a tank. The sound is very detailed with good extension at both ends and a very smooth presentation. I've never encountered any problems reading CD-R's.

In fact, the only downside to the player is if you get it in Silver. Some genius decided that all of the labels should be in grey. This is fine on a black background, but on silver it's darn near impossible to read. Bah...use the remote and you'll be fine.

If it matters, the 540a & 540c V.2's just received very favorable reviews in TAS.
Hope this helps.

Geoffcin
06-19-2006, 01:39 PM
I use a 540c in my office rig and it's worked flawlessly for a couple of years now. This is saying something as I've usually got it on "repeat" for around 10-12 hours a day. Very well built, gold plated inputs, detacheable IEC, proprietary transport (not Sony or Phillips) and hi-end Wolfson DAC's. For around $300, it's very tough to beat IMO for sound quality as well as build quality. Plus, the remote is built like a tank. The sound is very detailed with good extension at both ends and a very smooth presentation. I've never encountered any problems reading CD-R's.

In fact, the only downside to the player is if you get it in Silver. Some genius decided that all of the labels should be in grey. This is fine on a black background, but on silver it's darn near impossible to read. Bah...use the remote and you'll be fine.

If it matters, the 540a & 540c V.2's just received very favorable reviews in TAS.
Hope this helps.

2 years for 10-12 hr a day is a LOT of spinning!

The only thing that's got me worried, (although if it's built anywhere near as good as the drive it should work for many years) is that the BIG problem with CD players is not so much the electronics (mostly) it's the transport mechanism. All those little plastic gears, and small springs have a tendancy to go south after a few years, even less if your hard on equipment (like me)

topspeed
06-19-2006, 02:26 PM
I agree, Geoff. The gears and the laser pick-up always seem to be the first to go. I should note that I only change my cd's like once or twice a day, max. I pretty much just drop it in and let it spin for the rest of the day.

ninetynine
06-19-2006, 08:14 PM

has this been improved with the version 2 players?

accastil
06-20-2006, 02:36 AM
ninetynine, i have owned both the CA azur540C and the rotel rcd06..and ive already had a very good listen at marantz CD5001. i hope you still have not bought anything as of this time. what you first need to do is to listen very closly to your system..is there really anything you want to change? is it sounding bright to you? or maybe a little dull?
here are some viewpoints...CD5001(too bright sounding), rcd02(balanced sound), azur540C(a little bright). you really need to compensate to the rest of your components and especialy to your speakers if you want your player to sound at its best. cheers!

ps. i bought the RCD06 and it sounds wonderful with marantz SR4500, studio20 V3s

topspeed
06-20-2006, 09:50 AM
has this been improved with the version 2 players?
Ummm...

no

ninetynine
06-21-2006, 11:22 AM
well i've decided and got the 640c v2. It sounds and looks great. I've just got it and played only a few tunes. Very sturdy and well built machine. About the labels being to grey, my player is positioned at a height which is a little higher than my knees so when I look down at the front label from any position being standing up, or at my seating position i see everything bright and clear. Although if you put the cd player at eye level I noticed that the labels become less bright and more dim or greyish like youve explained. You don't notice this if the player is below eye level. I'm going to go have a few more listens , thanks for the suggestions!

Fergymunster
06-28-2006, 02:37 PM
well i've decided and got the 640c v2. It sounds and looks great. I've just got it and played only a few tunes. Very sturdy and well built machine. About the labels being to grey, my player is positioned at a height which is a little higher than my knees so when I look down at the front label from any position being standing up, or at my seating position i see everything bright and clear. Although if you put the cd player at eye level I noticed that the labels become less bright and more dim or greyish like youve explained. You don't notice this if the player is below eye level. I'm going to go have a few more listens , thanks for the suggestions!
Very wise choice.ENJOY

topspeed
06-29-2006, 12:54 PM
Congrats! Enjoy your new toy!