Changing Tweeters [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Changing Tweeters

SpankingVanillaice
06-12-2006, 06:27 PM
Is it ok to change tweeters in the JBL Control 1X?? What I was thinking to do is to swich the titanium tweeters to the Polycarbonate tweeters that are used in the orginal Control 1's. I can say the size of the tweeters are the same and how they are placed and everything is the same as the orginal Control 1's. I like the Poly sound better than titanium laminate tweeters.

The only difference I see is that the orginal Control 1's have a crossover freq at 6000hz and the Control 1X has 4000hz but does that matter when I swich tweeters?

N. Abstentia
06-12-2006, 07:19 PM
If the crossover frequencies and sensitivity are different then it could wind up sounding like pure crap. You'll want proper crossovers. I'd just sell them and upgrade to a better speaker.

SpankingVanillaice
06-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Well all of the specs of the two are the same but the only difference is that the crossover freq on the Control 1's are 6000hz and the Xtremes are 4000hz since titanium tweeters can produce lower freq. But what I was woundering is that because the crossover freq is different will it still be ok to change tweeters since I dont think it will harm the Poly tweeters when I take the titanium tweeters off and add the Poly tweeters instead. Remember these monitors are basicaly the same speakers meaning like almost the same crossover so I would assume that trading tweeters will work but I want to make sure that it won't harm the poly tweeters.

MikeyBC
06-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Just change them and see if they sound good to your ears or not, 4000 Hz is still a fairly high crossover point, I'd give it a try anyway and who cares if it might cause a wrinkle in frequency response as long as you like the way they sound with the different tweeters. I doubt you'd hurt anything unless you're always playing your system at full pin all the time. Oh and on the crossover if there is only a single cap on each set of tweeters then just change the cap with the tweeter, then it will still be at 6000 Hz