Past AR Regular Contributors [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Past AR Regular Contributors

cam
06-12-2006, 06:06 PM
Hey guys, every now and then I'll be skimmy through some threads here at AR and I'll think, what ever happen to such and such. I know people come and go but sometimes when they go, you would never ever remember them unless somebody mentioned their name and then you'd think, oh ya I forgot about that guy. I'll start with a few, Skeptic, Uncooked, This Guy, and what ever happened to Hershon, I mean, ever since his bro Ed came here, Hershon went missing, HA HA HA.:cornut:

Wireworm5
06-12-2006, 10:33 PM
Well a while back this site was infested with trolls and there was little to no moderators to control it. So people got tired of it and just left and never came back. Others got booted.
Yep, there used to be wealth of knowledgable people here. Maybe some will return as this site has improved considerably.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
06-13-2006, 05:39 AM
I really miss my mentor and friend Dr Boom Richard Greene. His knowledge of subwoofers and room acoustics is unmatched on this site, and I learned alot from him and truely miss his thoughts and information. John from Canada was also a very insightful person who had one of the most balanced viewpoints on audio that has ever come across this website. Anyone remember good old Mtrycraft? A positively useless poster who knew alot about nothing, but love to argue. His posts if not laughable in many cases, was an interesting read. Nick4433 is another person I miss on this website. Adam is another. All of these guys are gone now and they are truely missed.

GMichael
06-13-2006, 06:40 AM
I haven't been here as long as some. I don't recall many of the older names I saw brought up in the "who is the most helpful" thread. But I do remember a few departed members. Here's my list.

Lexmark: A fun read as he always got into a fight with anyone who didn't agree with his reveiw. (gone because his reviews turned out to be copied)

Soundideas: Just full of crazy ideas. I think he was trying to sell us crap. Boy his threads started some funny stuff. (not sure where he went)

Spaningvanillaice: A nice kid but out there baby. He started his own website.

JSE: With Lex gone, he had no one left to fight with. Too bad, he was funny.

Hershon/Ed: This switch was going on about the time I joined up. Glad he/they are still here.

Resident Loser
06-13-2006, 07:19 AM
Anyone remember good old Mtrycraft? A positively useless poster who knew alot about nothing, but love to argue. His posts if not laughable in many cases, was an interesting read.

...you missed his point completely...He, along with Eyespy, took the golden-eared, audiopile-types, the Jon Risch's of the audio world(and that whole school of thought) down a peg or two...

I didn't agree with mtry's constant, confrontational style, but IMO the underlying philosophy was solid...

jimHJJ(...those two would have had a field day with the likes of Florian...)

FLZapped
06-13-2006, 07:45 AM
Anyone remember good old Mtrycraft? A positively useless poster

Why? Because he often disagreed with you, right?

Doesn't make his point of view any less useful.

-Bruce

topspeed
06-13-2006, 09:12 AM
Why? Because he often disagreed with you, right?

Doesn't make his point of view any less useful.

-BruceWhile that's debateable, I think Jim nailed it that Mtry had the communication skills of a gnat. If he had a point, his ability to bring it across thoughtfully was laughable. Robotczar, another departed member, held the same views as Mtry yet was much easier to converse with. It isn't the idea, it's the ability to get the other person to see your point of view. Robot did, Mtry didn't.

BOT, some members I miss:

Skeptic: balanced opinion (most of the time), sharp wit.
Lexmark: for entertainment purposes only. Will we ever see anyone as unstable as Lexie again?
JSE: He's around every once in awhile, but not enough.
Doc Greene: a freakin' genius, plus he's a car guy.
This Guy: Funny kid. I have a feeling he's sitting in a corner baked out of his mind right now...
Woodman: RIP (and thank goodness Edyct joined!)
DMBlover: good guy.
Piece it Pete: A conservative, a car guy, and all around good guy
hifitommy: audiophile that always brought something interesting to the table
PeterDuminy: you can never have too many speaker engineers on an audio site. Great conversations regarding the properties of different materials.
RGA: Yeah, I know he's in Korea right now. Good input as long as he doesn't talk about cars...

trollgirl
06-13-2006, 07:37 PM
...[groan] Jameson Davenport Briggs III (or was that IV?).

Laz

06-14-2006, 03:59 AM
jimHJJ(...those two would have had a field day with the likes of Florian...)

Now that is for sure! It would be interesting to see Florian in a corner chewing on a Kentucky Fried Chicken biscuit while blubbering " I thought I could take them, I thought I could take them" LOL

Resident Loser
06-14-2006, 07:24 AM
...[groan] Jameson Davenport Briggs III (or was that IV?).

Laz

...the self-proclaimed audiopile supreme-o, who hailed from his compound in the hinterlands of northern Maine...TtT would have simply loved him!

Among the missing: MikE(near missing), TinHear, Norm Strong and ...hmm...one of them senior moments,,, the fellow from Canada who was involved with wiring on Naval vessels...D@mn, I hate when that happens...

jimHJJ(...talk about a cast of characters...)

cam
06-14-2006, 09:53 AM
And what about Chris, our old administrator. He did say when he was giving his job to ericl that he would from time to time visit us here.

Woochifer
06-14-2006, 11:51 AM
Geez, a lot of cobwebs getting dusted off with those former heavy hitters! When I first joined the site, it was guys like Doc Greene, Adam, nick4433, RGA, mtrycrafts, Skeptic, etc. who dominated the board. Doc Greene and Terrence in particular had to set me straight on occasion in those days. I also appreciated the contributions from people who aren't around as much anymore like Keith From Canada, Bryan, spacedeckman, bigwally, thepogue, Quagmire, umrswimr, among many many others.

It seems that there were three mass exoduses that I can recall. First one was when a troll started messing with the board and no one could reliably log on or not have their threads hijacked. Second one occurred when they switched to the current board format. Third one occurred when the transition over to the moderated board got off to a rough start and rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

There's still a lot of really good threads worth checking out on the archived AR discussions. For one thing, the board was a lot more active around 2001-02. Just perusing through the older discussions, I found some of these gems that are very much worth checking out, so the links are below. (You'll see that to a large degree, as the board has evolved, only the names have changed!) I've already got a message out to EricL to do something about the background color on the archived threads and to restore the link to those discussions. In the meantime, I also posted below the link to the archive index in case anyone's curious and highlight the text if you want to read it without straining!

http://archive.audioreview.com/index.php

http://archive.audioreview.com/07/0EE7F13A.php
http://archive.audioreview.com/00/0EECA080.php
http://archive.audioreview.com/07/0EF6890D.php

P.S. Here are some additional links in case anyone wants to trace the "family" history of our dearly departed Lexmark3200. (The rest of the thread is also rather entertaining)

http://forums.audioreview.com/showpost.php?p=100589&postcount=61

JSE
06-15-2006, 08:57 PM
Yep, I am still around every now and then for those who remembered and thought of me. Photography has always been my main hobby and has taken over all my free time now. All the advances recently in HT and Audio have really passed right by me lately. I'm pretty clueless, not that I ever had a real clue. I find it hard to contribute much.

T-Speed, GMichael, thanks for thinking about me, YA BIG PUSSES!:ciappa: :ciappa:

BTW, I miss Lex as well. Why did that little outdated printer have to go and murf someone's work? The fights some of us used to get into with him were classic.

Allright, I've got to go. I am getting a bit teary-eyed thinking of the good ol' days. Whooops, that was actually my dog ripping one. :eek: Good Lord, I have to go now. Good Night!

JSE

GMichael
06-16-2006, 05:07 AM
Yep, I am still around every now and then for those who remembered and thought of me. Photography has always been my main hobby and has taken over all my free time now. All the advances recently in HT and Audio have really passed right by me lately. I'm pretty clueless, not that I ever had a real clue. I find it hard to contribute much.

T-Speed, GMichael, thanks for thinking about me, YA BIG PUSSES!:ciappa: :ciappa:

BTW, I miss Lex as well. Why did that little outdated printer have to go and murf someone's work? The fights some of us used to get into with him were classic.

Allright, I've got to go. I am getting a bit teary-eyed thinking of the good ol' days. Whooops, that was actually my dog ripping one. :eek: Good Lord, I have to go now. Good Night!

JSE

There ya go ladies and gentlemen. Our very own JSE. Just as advertised.

Please leave your tips at the door.

06-16-2006, 07:33 AM
JSE! JSE! JSE! JSE! Glad to see ya post again buddy.

Wow, I forgot about Quagmire, what a great guy.

Wooch don't you go anywhere ya bum!!!

WETSU
06-19-2006, 05:41 PM
When I first registered with this site there was a member who went by Dank and later DMK. He was extremely helpful to me with advice regarding gear and vinyl care. I would add him to the list of past regulars that added much to AudioReview.

topspeed
06-19-2006, 08:11 PM
DMK done got himself booted. Pottymouth.