Distance, Speakers, Walls... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Distance, Speakers, Walls...

superpanavision70mm
06-11-2006, 11:19 PM
Ok, I thought it might be interesting for everyone to post what type of speakers they use, how far they sit from the speakers when listening to them, and also how far the speakers are from the wall.

My PSB towers are about 2 feet from all nearby walls and I sit 7 feet away from them.

Florian
06-11-2006, 11:50 PM
Just as a tip to you, choose odd ratios for the sidewalls. ;-)

likeitloud
06-12-2006, 02:08 AM
I moved them around alot, and found 2 ft from the wall on the fronts, 1ft for the surrounds,
the back channels on ceiling over the surrounds, sub 1 ft, and the sitting area is 6-10ft
from everything. Note: Pulling the speakers away from any walls helped..alot.

Pioneer VSX1015
JBL Northridege E150 Powered Sub
JBL 4410A Studio Monitors(Front)
JBL Northridge E30(Surrounds)
JBL Cinema Vison CVCEN50 Center
JBL Northridge Satellites(Back Channel)
Pioneer Elite DV45A DVDA/SACD
Panasonic DVD F86K
Sony RCD W50C CD PLAYER/REC
AR Interconnects
Cobalt 14G Wire
Sanus Stands

RGA
06-12-2006, 07:43 AM
My J speakers are as hard into the corners as you can get them without touching the back and side walls. The speakers are toed in such that the tweeters cross a few feet in front of my listening position which is about 10 feet away. I have also tried them at various spots as far as three feet into the room and 3 feet from the side walls but there was notable frequency issues and room induced colouration that while not bad took me out of the music and became what I heard from many a monitor (only wit better bass). The corners took out the room and the in room result creates a wall of sound extending a panaramic soundstaage because the speakers are so very far apart and generally further away from the listnener because of the corner loading. But it does take some time to get the toe in and the exact distances bang on.

My Wharfedales are very placement friendly with their front port -- they are rockers and will also work near wall or in corners (in fact they must be positioned 10 feet apart at the minimum to work right and being horms prefer to face directly at the listener. The speakers were designed for rock appeal and do justice to that better than classical -- they were popular with touring DJ's for a long time and came in a pro version which had a tougher metal casing -- They would be used in dance halls and the like because they could project deepish bass at very high levels extending beyond 120 decibals with relatively low distortion. But they exhibit some box resonances and they have frequency anomolies that are more noticeable (though not fatiguing) than some current speakers for around the same money. Basically the midrange exhibits a slight softness and the treble can be forward while the mid bass can dominate. They really should have stands as well because they sit too low so the ear when seated is above the tweeter which I get the sense is less than ideal - and the woofer is too low to the ground. One day I shall experiment with them because there is much about the speaker that is very good but there are some head scratching -- oh darn if only that were a bit better this could really have been something!

Florian
06-12-2006, 08:21 AM
My speakers are 4.8ft from the rear wall, 1.14ft from the sidewalls and 10ft from me.

Note that i have dipole speakers, (no hybrids) and they cancel out their sidewaves :cornut:

JoeE SP9
06-12-2006, 08:49 AM
My speakers are 47.5 inches from the front wall, 15.5 inches from the side walls and I sit 9 feet away. They ended up there after lots of tweaking over the years. I wasn't sure of the distances so I just measured them.:cool:

musicman1999
06-12-2006, 06:12 PM
My fronts are 51 inches from the back wall,about 2 feet from the side walls,with bookshelfs along each wall not being the same exactly so there is some variance there.They are also 88 inches apart and about 11 feet to the chair.Previous posters made little mention of the distance apart of their speakers,this is also very important.

bill

MikeyBC
06-12-2006, 08:11 PM
1.5 from rear wall, 3 feet from side wall, 6 feet apart and i sit about 7-8 feet away. You know already what I have.

3db
06-20-2006, 06:59 AM
Ok, I thought it might be interesting for everyone to post what type of speakers they use, how far they sit from the speakers when listening to them, and also how far the speakers are from the wall.

My PSB towers are about 2 feet from all nearby walls and I sit 7 feet away from them.

are about 19" from the back hall with respect to the back side of the speaker, 24" from the side wall, about 7' apart and my listening positioning is 7' apart.

JoeE SP9
06-20-2006, 07:10 AM
Musicman1999 is right. I forgot to add, my ESL's are 7.5ft apart.:cool:

audio_dude
06-20-2006, 01:28 PM
mine are about 6" away from back wall, 6' from side wall, and about 3' away from me...(they're on a desk) i have toed them in to project the tweeter to my ears.

Jimmy C
06-20-2006, 03:02 PM

...when looked at on paper. The livingroom is fairly square (maybe 14x17) and yeah, not that large. The right speaker is 2 ft. away from a sliding door (light curtains) while the left speaker is open to a small foyer area. Suprisingly, the sound is still balanced, no need to f around wth the balance. I thought I would have problems integrating the REL, but the bass is fine. Sure, it required a bit of "playing around", but overall the sound is much better than the suspended-floor apartment we used to rent. Slab flooring especially helped out the turntable, BIG time.

I'm happy, but the bedroom rig is no longer "doing it" for me... hhmmmm.... I wanna try the Maggies... maybe tonight I'll order the MMGs...

OK, maybe tomm, i thing they are closed. I HAVE to try them :*)

Wireworm5
06-20-2006, 09:48 PM
My room is 11'x25'x6.5'. My 100's are in the front corner toed toward listening position aprox.22' apart, 12' from LP. My 20's are along front wall 6' apart 5' from LP tweeter 1 1/2' above ear level 1' from ceiling. Center channel front center wall 5' from LP time delay 3 milliseconds, 1' from ceiling. Rear channel, 1' from front center wall aimed at front wall for reflected sound ear level. Monitor 9 against side wall perpendicular to LP 10' away, about 22' apart. 601's same location as 9's with tweeter 1' above LP. Sub on far right wall facing far left wall 23' across room.