My parents new Apogees! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My parents new Apogees!

Florian
06-11-2006, 05:54 AM
http://www.apogeeclub.de/caliper.jpg

Well after the torture of having the VMPS RM30's we are finally back in the game with very seductive and very high resolution system. Sources are: Rega Planet 2000 MKII CD-Player and Rega Planar 2 Turntable. The Pathos Acoustics Classic One (the good sounding original version).

Interestingly enough these speakers are much easier to drive then the Magnepan 0.5's. But i noticed the same on the 3.6 and the DIVA. Apogees are simply more easy and we measured clean sound up to 95db with 90wpc from the Pathos into the Apogees.

The sound is glorious!

-Flo

bobsticks
06-11-2006, 06:09 AM
Very nice, very clean set-up and I bet it sounds great, Flo. The next time someone starts calling you names, remind 'em how you take care of Mom and Dad, you ol' softy...

Cheers,
M

Florian
06-11-2006, 06:43 AM
Very nice, very clean set-up and I bet it sounds great, Flo. The next time someone starts calling you names, remind 'em how you take care of Mom and Dad, you ol' softy...

Cheers,
M

Yeah, i am a softy :-)

The Apogees are incredible, absolutly incredible. The highest resolution planar i know. Same as Acoustat and Soundlab, but with more inner detail but not a PERFECTLY cohherent has the Soundlab of single panel acoustat but damn close. Acoustat, Apogee and Soundlab are my fav.

-Flo

slbenz
06-11-2006, 06:48 AM
Florian,

Nice set of speakers for your parents. Now if I could only convince mine.....

Slbenz

Florian
06-11-2006, 07:04 AM
Florian,

Nice set of speakers for your parents. Now if I could only convince mine.....

Slbenz
Hehe, well my parents upgraded from Magnepan MG3.6 to the VMPS RM30's. The VMPS where worse then the Maggies, but this Caliper is quite a bit better then the 3.6 (exept image height) and so it all came out good in the end. I am very lucky to have such understanding parents, esp. when it comes to my hobby.

This is a contrast.

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio/500/medium/244261DSCN0577.JPG

JoeE SP9
06-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Thanks a lot Flo!:thumbsup:
If my mother hears of this I am in big trouble. My brother and I keep our mother up to date on home entertainment. We put together a reasonable sound system for her years ago. We have upgraded it as things have changed. She now has a modest home theatre. What are we supposed to do if she finds out Apogees come in a reasonable (to her) size?:cool:

Feanor
06-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Well after the torture of having the VMPS RM30's we are finally back in the game with very seductive and very high resolution system. Sources are: Rega Planet 2000 MKII CD-Player and Rega Planar 2 Turntable. The Pathos Acoustics Classic One (the good sounding original version).

Interestingly enough these speakers are much easier to drive then the Magnepan 0.5's. But i noticed the same on the 3.6 and the DIVA. Apogees are simply more easy and we measured clean sound up to 95db with 90wpc from the Pathos into the Apogees.

The sound is glorious!

-Flo

I had the chance to buy a used pair of Apogees, one of the smaller models, before I bought my Magneplanar 1.6QR's. With hindsight I'm sorry I didn't look at them more carefully; would have cost about the same money as the new 1.6's.

PHiX
06-11-2006, 03:23 PM
If you'd have made me guess what type of equipment that is, the answer would have been closer to UFO than speaker. :D Where's the cockpit?

superpanavision70mm
06-11-2006, 03:39 PM
What is the total cost of your parents setup?

Florian
06-11-2006, 11:14 PM
I had the chance to buy a used pair of Apogees, one of the smaller models, before I bought my Magneplanar 1.6QR's. With hindsight I'm sorry I didn't look at them more carefully; would have cost about the same money as the new 1.6's.

Well it takes a lot of knowledge to analyze the "shape" they are in. They will clearly reveal the upstream components more then the best Maggie will. Bass down to 25Hz with a lot of preausure to 30Hz. If you find one then i can tell you when they are made, what series etc...

Cheers

Flo

Florian
06-11-2006, 11:15 PM
If you'd have made me guess what type of equipment that is, the answer would have been closer to UFO than speaker. :D Where's the cockpit?

Hehe ;-) I think its a timeless design too :-)

Florian
06-11-2006, 11:18 PM
What is the total cost of your parents setup?

1350EUR for the Apogees
2000EUR for the Pathos
250EUR for the Rega Phono Stage
900EUR for the Rega Planet 2000 MKII
680EUR for the Rega Planar 2

Total: 5180EUR = 6541,48USD

superpanavision70mm
06-11-2006, 11:22 PM
Wow...I wonder how many people if they knew for that amount of money could get something so awesome. I think most people would consider that a steal!

Florian
06-11-2006, 11:31 PM
Wow...I wonder how many people if they knew for that amount of money could get something so awesome. I think most people would consider that a steal!

Yes, it is a steal. Now , i got the Pathos for 900EUR instead of the 2000 list price too! The Apogee Caliper has a rebuild list price of 12500EUR, and i found a *retuned and *rebuild pair for 1350EUR. Knowledge and a understanding, coupled with a ever watching eye is needed-

:-)

GMichael
06-12-2006, 05:16 AM
Great setup for your parents there. Bravo!

Keep your eyes open for 2007. My basement will need something to fill it. Our little pool table can only take up so much room.

Thanks for the heads up.

Florian
06-12-2006, 05:25 AM
Great setup for your parents there. Bravo!

Keep your eyes open for 2007. My basement will need something to fill it. Our little pool table can only take up so much room.

Thanks for the heads up.

Will do! It only takes time, and good electronics. Dont be fooled, anyone, these speakers will reveal any front end differences no matter what price league. And i mean this seriously!
The Pathos and Rega is a good beginners electronics...

Still kicks ass tough! This would be a Flo budget recommendation

:-)

JohnMichael
06-12-2006, 06:14 AM
Flo very nice set up. I am sure your parents are very pleased. That is until your friends show up from the US wanting to hear the system. Flo who are theses strange folk at our door?

Florian
06-12-2006, 06:19 AM
Flo very nice set up. I am sure your parents are very pleased. That is until your friends show up from the US wanting to hear the system. Flo who are theses strange folk at our door?

Yes, but we had visitors from Switzerland here yesterday. Austrians 2 weeks ago and a british visitor will come soon too. Not to mention we had Italien visitors and French visitors...

-Flo