Leon Redbone last nite, Over the Rhine tonite. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Leon Redbone last nite, Over the Rhine tonite.

Swish
06-10-2006, 07:46 AM
I'd never seen Leon live, but it was a lot of fun. He was accompanied on stage with a guy playing a tenor guitar, another on cornet (most muted, and sometime thru some sort of bag) and one of piano. I'm sure most of you are familiar with him, dressed in his usual panama hat, sunglasses, dark suit and a white tie, while playing some really nice blues tunes that I suppose could be consider rag-time or early 20th century blues? As expected, all of these guys are excellent musicians, and the one piano solo was really sweet, some old rag-time standard for which I can't recall the name.

I don't have any of Leon's recordings, although I've heard his music many times in the past. Of his playlist last night I recall "St. Louis Blues", "Sweet Mama Hurry Home or I'll Be Gone", "If We Never Meet Again This Side of Heaven", "I'm Going Home", and his encore, which is his signature song, "Harvest Moon". This 56 year old can really pick out the blues on his acoustic, and some of his banter between songs was pretty funny, although it was too lenghty at times and I was tempted to yell "Shut up and play". But it was a more mature crowd at the small open-air venue known as Mt. Gretna Theater, so I kept my thoughts to myself, which is a rarity for me..

Tonight will be my second "Over the Rhine" show, and it should be a good one. They're at the Chameleon in Lancaster again, so if you're not doing anything, there are still some tickets available at the door. We'll be getting there well before the 8 PM start to make sure we get a good spot on the second level balcony (the first floor is SRO, and my old legs and back can't take 3+ hours of standing). Let me know if you'll be there and I'll buy you a beer.

Swish