front surrond speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : front surrond speakers?

madmax1
01-29-2004, 07:42 PM
Looking for a good pair of bookshelf speakers for cheap? around $200 to $300?
gonna be driven by a yamaha 1400

Bryan
01-30-2004, 06:04 AM
Locally the JBL E-20s from Best Buy are fairly good along with the Monitor Audio Bronze and B&W DM 303. For six channels, you may want to look into the HSU Ventriloquist. The Axiom M3ti and Paradigm Titans are also worthy of consideration. Used or DIY are other excellent options.

F1
01-31-2004, 02:21 AM
Looking for a good pair of bookshelf speakers for cheap? around $200 to $300?
gonna be driven by a yamaha 1400

I'm wondering, did you already buy the receiver? Imo you'll get better sound from $300 receiver and $800 speaker rather than the other way around. Btw, Bryan already gave you some good suggestion.

madmax1
02-01-2004, 07:51 AM
Locally the JBL E-20s from Best Buy are fairly good along with the Monitor Audio Bronze and B&W DM 303. For six channels, you may want to look into the HSU Ventriloquist. The Axiom M3ti and Paradigm Titans are also worthy of consideration. Used or DIY are other excellent options.
Thanks for the input, gonna go sample these this weekend!

Willow
02-01-2004, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the input, gonna go sample these this weekend!

I have the JBLs for rears they are ok have a titanium tweeter..a bit harsh for mains....try athena, polk (have silk tweeters), energy.....but if your ears say yes to the JBls and you have listened to different ones go with it.....

kfalls
02-02-2004, 05:20 AM
I can't tell from your post if you are talking about front speakers in a surround system, or front effects speakers which are particular to Yamaha. I've read the reviews and listened to the Yamaha RX-V1400 and will probably purchase one myself. For $800 and 110w/ch it's a great deal. I currently have a Yamaha RX-V2095 with front effects channels. I have a Klipsch speaker system which includes KG4 mains, either a KV3 or KLF-C7 center, and two pairs of the RS-3 for front and rear surrounds. I recommend the RS-3 (approx $300/pr) without hesitation, unless you want a direct radiator. But, if you are looking for front surrounds I don't think you can find better, especially for the price.

Are you aware you can also option the front effects channels to be used for a second zone? The front effects are OK and do a nice job of producing an enveloping effect, but the secondary zone option would work better for me.