The Cult [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Cult

Duds
06-08-2006, 10:07 AM
So rock fans, where would you rate the Cult on the list of best rock bands or your favorite bands list?

For me, I would have to say they are top 15 easily. Just a great band with so many damn good tunes. Plain and simple, they just flat out rock.

Stone
06-08-2006, 10:25 AM
Probably around 500 or so (okay, I'm just guessing, but not really high). I enjoy Love especially, and Electric was pretty good, but the stuff they did after that hasn't impressed me much. Ya know, where's the emotion and oomph that was in "She Sells Sanctuary" for instance?

Duds
06-08-2006, 10:31 AM
You dont like Sonic Temple? or Ceremony? I even thought Beyond Good and Evil was pretty good. Just my opinion though

Probably around 500 or so (okay, I'm just guessing, but not really high). I enjoy Love especially, and Electric was pretty good, but the stuff they did after that hasn't impressed me much. Ya know, where's the emotion and oomph that was in "She Sells Sanctuary" for instance?

Stone
06-08-2006, 10:39 AM
You dont like Sonic Temple? or Ceremony? I even thought Beyond Good and Evil was pretty good. Just my opinion though

No, not really. I don't mean to dump on one of your favorite bands, but I thought they really went downhill after Electric. I bought Sonic Temple and sold it back, and listened to Ceremony (my brother had it, and maybe still does) and it didn't do much for me. I much prefer the Love style and songs, but I listened to Electric quite a bit too when it came out.

Duds
06-08-2006, 10:48 AM
No worries Stone, i'm not offended!!

I was just listening to Pure Cult over the weekend while cleaning the house, and thought to myself, damn these guys rock!

No, not really. I don't mean to dump on one of your favorite bands, but I thought they really went downhill after Electric. I bought Sonic Temple and sold it back, and listened to Ceremony (my brother had it, and maybe still does) and it didn't do much for me. I much prefer the Love style and songs, but I listened to Electric quite a bit too when it came out.

bobsticks
06-08-2006, 11:11 AM
...on the strenght of their early recordings alone. I agree with Stone that I prefer the older material. I appreciated Love enough that I sought out earlier titles like Dreamtime and some of the Southern Death Cult stuff.
I think for the casual fan Pure Cult would be a starting and stopping point, as it does a good job encapsulating the higher moments of their undervalued and underrated career. Sadly, I would say that it is probably Astbury whose decline is most apparent--I mean how do you top "...Aphrodesiac Jacket/plastic,fantastic,lobster telephone"?

Duds
06-08-2006, 11:19 AM
if i really sat down and tried, it may be tough fitting them into the top 15, but they wouldnt be far back. I could still probably do it.

Love is a great cd.

...on the strenght of their early recordings alone. I agree with Stone that I prefer the older material. I appreciated Love enough that I sought out earlier titles like Dreamtime and some of the Southern Death Cult stuff.
I think for the casual fan Pure Cult would be a starting and stopping point, as it does a good job encapsulating the higher moments of their undervalued and underrated career. Sadly, I would say that it is probably Astbury whose decline is most apparent--I mean how do you top "...Aphrodesiac Jacket/plastic,fantastic,lobster telephone"?

bobsticks
06-08-2006, 11:40 AM
Love is a fantastic cd.
On a personal note, it was the cd that served as a crossover (for me) from the goth/rock/punk stylings of SOM, Corrosion of Conformity, Angry Samoans, Fields of the Nephilim, etc. to the industrial/dance scene with Front 242, Frontline Assembly,Nitzer Ebb,Laibach,KMFDM and the like. Good transition piece.
But I digress,The Cult do rock and Love is a fine work

3-LockBox
06-08-2006, 01:26 PM

My interest in them waned with Sonic Temple, which I thought of as their answer to INXS. But I didn't follow them much after that. But yeah, Electric kicked a$$ and was completely un-80s (at that time).

A few years ago (or more) I read that the lead singer of The Cult was supposed to tour as front man for The Doors...I'm sure I heard about on the radio as well.

Dusty Chalk
06-08-2006, 02:39 PM
I'm not that familiar with them, sounds like something I need to check out.

unleasHell
06-08-2006, 03:14 PM
Yeah, the Cult were pretty great, albeit for a short time, I like far too many other Bands to rank them very high, maybe top 50 or so.

I was dating a girl in the early 80's who drug me to a small dive club in LA, to see a band I had never heard of called Southern Death Cult and was pretty blown away by them and have been a fan ever since.

I really live LOVE and ELECTRIC...

Anyone see Ian preforming with Doors of the 21st Century?