2 Channel in a theater room? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 2 Channel in a theater room?

Jibboom
06-07-2006, 01:23 PM
I have a new construction basement 31X13 pre-wired for ceiling speakers (two pairs) near the front and back and a single speaker at the ceiling in the front above where the screen will be. My question is, I would still like to do stereo with 4ohm floorstanding speakers. Is this a bad idea or is it do-able?

paul_pci
06-07-2006, 02:14 PM
In ceiling speakers are a bad idea to begin with, but you need to clarify what you are asking. If you are asking if you can have two sets of man L/R speakers, then yes, there are many receivers and processors that allow for that. Okay, I reread your post, so it sounds like you want the center speaker in the ceiling and then the floorstanders as the main L/R? Yes, I think that will sound atrocious, but hey, that's just my opinion. Considering that up to 80% of the audio information in a given movie goes through the center channel, that's going to make for one funky front sound stage. One of the biggest improvements I made to my own system, was my ability to lower my center speaker, thus reducing the height gap relative to my L/R speakers. It made a remendous difference, giving a more coherent and balanced front soundstage,.

musicman1999
06-07-2006, 05:21 PM
Will the stereo be a complete seperate system or integrated with the home theatre.Seperate is the only way you would get decent results.

bill

Jibboom
06-08-2006, 04:53 AM
Thanks to you gents for the help. My main concern is great stereo sound (music),and still being able to run a simple surround. I have heard of processors that can detect 2ch vs. 5.1 etc.

markw
06-08-2006, 05:23 AM
Well, read your owner's manual. Some simply don't like four ohm speakers, partitularly when played in simultaneously with other speakers.

But, assuming it can handle them, you CAN have both good two channel sound AND 5.1 sound. ...perhaps not at the same time, but it can be done.

My suggestion would be to have the HT speakers running off the "A", or "main" speaker settings. You would then have your floor-standers hooked to the "B" position. Simply choose which ONE you want to use at any given time. Running both might be risky.

Of course, this would mean your sub is dedicated to the HT but, for music, that should not be too much of a problem.