help.......Sunfire subwoofer [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : help.......Sunfire subwoofer

joesakic
06-07-2006, 08:27 AM
anyone using this subwoofer before.
my living room is around 130 square feet
is it 8 inch size is good enough.
May I know is it worth for this subwoofer.
Coz it is much more expensive than the others or any better choice

Thanks...

Sir Terrence the Terrible
06-07-2006, 09:30 AM

Thanks...

This small overacheiver is worth the money. It can put out as much bass as some larger subwoofers.

Florian
06-07-2006, 10:16 AM

Thanks...

Thats a real cutie!

GMichael
06-07-2006, 10:41 AM
I have heard good things about this sub. I was looking into getting one until I saw that some people have had issues with them. Something about them needing repairs every few years. Try google for more info on them.

Jim Clark
06-07-2006, 01:11 PM
My local dealer dropped them completely due to the number of issues that kept popping up. Seems to coincide with the reports I've read on similar boards so I suspect that there's at least some truth to their claims.

jc

bfalls
06-08-2006, 06:57 AM
It sounds like the "Baby" version of this one. They have very high-wattage amps and rigid woofer surrounds. Both versions received a lot of favorable reviews.

Features and Specs
2700-watt amp featuring patented Tracking Downconverter power supply
Frequency response: 16 Hz to 100 Hz (+0, -3 dB)
Measurement microphone and automatic internal contour compensation keeps it that way
Greater than 116 dB peak SPL with room gain
Input coupling is optical and accepts balanced, standard and high-level inputs
Bore 10 inches - stroke 2.35 inches (over 360 cubic inches total air volume displacement)
Crossover points variable from 30 Hz to 100 Hz
Input level (volume) control
Phase continuously adjustable 0° to 180°
Passive 70 Hz 6 dB per octave hi-pass line level output for satellite loudspeakers
Dimensions: 13" by 13" by 13"

Sorry, the photo I have is too large to upload.

joesakic
06-08-2006, 08:44 AM
Thanks everyone.

Then are there any good subwoofers under $1000 and give good performance.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
06-08-2006, 08:50 AM
Thanks everyone.

Then are there any good subwoofers under $1000 and give good performance.

Two names come quickly to mind. HSU subs, and SVS subs.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/

http://www.svsound.com/

You get the most bang for the buck with these two companies subs. I cannot think of anything else I would recommend for under 1K.

E-Stat
06-09-2006, 06:43 AM
I've heard them before in a really nice HT system. You may need to weight them down as then tend to "walk on carpet" during high excursion passages. :)

rw

RoyY51
06-10-2006, 08:31 AM
...comes to mind: Outlaw LFM-1. This Hsu-designed sub is a bit on the large size, but it's beautiful finish makes it less obtrusive than many of it's similarly sized competitors. Great on music and movies.

The Tahitijack
06-16-2006, 01:26 PM
How does the Velodyne Minivee compare to the little Sunfire? I recall a small subwoofer face off in an audio mag but don't remember if these were in the mix or the recomendation.

Coltrane
07-12-2006, 09:44 AM
I have the SPL-800II which is the Mini Vee with a differant label and finish, I checked with Velodyne on this. I find it to be a very good unit. I did see the review you mentioned and think an Out Law sub was also in the mix. The velodyne came in a close second to the Sunfire in a subjectitive listening test but had better specs..The outlaw came if first in dollar value. I also have a Paradigm PW-2100 and a SVS 20-39PCi and for music the velodyne is their equal, and is very close in matching home theater performance. The best bang for the buck is the SVS if you can handle it's size. The main problem with the Velodyne is the price, it looks like Hsu might be a better buy also SVS might be coming out with a small sub which I suspect will be value priced. From what I can tell most subs costing between $500 or more should give at least adequate performance.

jrhymeammo
07-13-2006, 10:18 PM
My local dealer dropped them completely due to the number of issues that kept popping up. Seems to coincide with the reports I've read on similar boards so I suspect that there's at least some truth to their claims.

jc

One of my dealer also stopped selling them due to constant failures.My friend used to have one, and he was getting sick of amking trips back to the dealer. I was also getting sick of it, cuz that little sucka was really heavy. But that little cube can really put down some bass, incredible!!

robert393
07-14-2006, 05:40 AM
I have a Sunfire sub. Had a friend house-sit for a week while I was on vacation. He and some friends musta given it quite a work out, because when I returned it sounded horrible. Inspection revealed the need for the cones to be resurfaced. The sub was out of warranty, but Sunfire CS was EXTREMELY helpful & professional. Sent me the packaging (double boxed) and repaired the sub (and made internal upgrades) for a minimal charge (~$125?). No other problems to date. I have had the sub about 10yrs.
This puppy puts out a ton of bass, and can be hid in the corner. I would recommend it.

Robert
http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/thumbs/243349IMG_1693.jpg