1080P over HDMI [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 1080P over HDMI

chopper58
06-06-2006, 01:53 PM
I recently purchased a Samsung HL-S5087W and ordered DirectTV. DirectTV installed an H20 High Definition Receiver and the new 5 LNB Satellite dish that also receives Local HD Channels.

When the technician activated my HD service, he was only able to set the H20 to push 480 signals to the TV. When he set the H20 to send 480, 720 and 1080, the Samsung TV would blink constantly (every 2-3 seconds). He set the box back to 480 and told me it was a common problem with HDMI connections. He suggested that I connect the TV via Component.

I changed the connection to Component and was able to set the H20 to 480,720, and 1080 with no problems on the Samsung TV.

Does anybody have advicem suggestions or information about why this is happening? I would prefer to stay with pure digitial signal (HDMI) rather than the analog signal conversion to digital (Component).

I do not know if this is a "common" problem with the H20 receiver or with the Samsung DLP. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

edtyct
06-06-2006, 05:21 PM
Fiddlesticks. HDMI does not have routine trouble with HD signals, unless the cable is bad (rare, though I've seen it happen) or the copy-protection handshake fails between source and target, which is a more likely scenario. I would be surprised if the problem belonged to the TV. I'd be more inclined to place the blame on the receiver. If the technician says that in his experience, HDMI often taps out after 480p, then it's probably the equipment that he installs that's responsible. Try to get hold of another HDMI device that can transmit 720p and/or 1080i signals, like an upconverting DVD player. If that works with the same cable, you'll know that DirecTV's receiver is at fault.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
06-07-2006, 09:25 AM
The problem is the cable box. It is pretty well reported that some cable boxes HDMI outputs are causing alot of problems with current HDMI inputs of quite a few televisions. Nobody is sure exactly what the problem is, but there are enough cases to bring the problem up on the radar. Somewhere between the HDMI outputs and HDMI inputs there is a handshake problem.

JeffKnob
06-08-2006, 11:22 AM
I have the same TV and I agree that it must be the box. I am only using very cheap HDMI cables from my DVD player and my cable box (about $14 for two with shipping on ebay) My setup works great.

AVMASTER
06-08-2006, 01:58 PM
the problem lies within the sat. receiver, if i'm not mistaken, there should be a fireware upgrade available for the H20 or just try another receiver