M. Output MC Cartridge? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : M. Output MC Cartridge?

jrhymeammo
06-05-2006, 09:49 PM
So, I will be in a market for a MC cart with medium output. Only one I can find within (somewhat) reasonable price range is by ACE by Benz Micro, not that I can think of one at much higher price. I prefer not to go lower than 0.5mv. Why arent there more cart with 0.6-0.8mv output. Well maybe not 0.6 since the differnce is only about a decibal. Is there something less attractive about the design and its sound quality?

JohnMichael
06-06-2006, 08:44 AM
So, I will be in a market for a MC cart with medium output. Only one I can find within (somewhat) reasonable price range is by ACE by Benz Micro, not that I can think of one at much higher price. I prefer not to go lower than 0.5mv. Why arent there more cart with 0.6-0.8mv output. Well maybe not 0.6 since the differnce is only about a decibal. Is there something less attractive about the design and its sound quality?

Moving Coil cartridges are made with different outputs by several manufacturers such as Benz who you mentioned, Dynavector, Ortofon and even Grado's wood bodied cartridges can be purchased in a low output version. Choice of mc cartridges are based on the compatability with your phono preamp. Does it have enough output for the cartridge in which you are interested. Also is it low enough in noise when it is amplifying the tiny output of the cartridge that you hear the music and not noise. MC cartridges have tiny coils of wire moving in a magnetic field. The least amount of wire the lower the mass and the lower the mass the quicker response to the record groove. Of course with very little wire you have very low output. As you increase the amount of wire for medium output you increase the mass of the coil which makes the cart less responsive. High output uses even more wire but will work into a standard moving magnet input which will have less noise at this level. I would check with www.amusicdirect.com or www.needledoctor.com and let them know what phono preamp you are using and ask what cartridge they might know of that works well into that unit. They will also ask what turntable and tonearm you are using since the cartridge will have to be compatible with the tonearm.

dean_martin
06-07-2006, 08:11 AM

I have an older Pro-Ject table w/earlier version of Pro-Ject 9 tonearm. A salesman at Audio Atlanta who carries Grado, Ortofon and Benz Micro recommended the Ortofon X3-MC and if I wanted to spend more money and get better performance then the Benz ACE. Both would travel well if I moved up to a better table/arm. He advised against the Grados to avoid potential hum problems. From what I've read, there are some sheilding issues w/Grado carts and Rega-type arms, but If you haven't noticed problems w/your Silver then you could probably consider the Grado Sonata in the same price range as the ACE. I know it comes in at least two output versions and I think the lower output version is around 0.5mV.

Can't say much about design and sound quality. I went with a high output mc, but if I eventually upgrade my phono stage, I might try the Benz med. output ACE. Going low output may require a step-up transformer or phono amp beyond what I would probably want to spend.

jrhymeammo
06-07-2006, 07:22 PM
Thanks for advice JohnMichael and Dean Martin.

I was considering Grado Sonata or Platinum Statement (0.5mv). After some inquiries, I was informed that I must use 47k stage to play with the Statement series. Since my MM phono stage only has 40db gain, it will not do. I believe if I use med output cart, it might load alot of strain on my TubeBox. My manual states that typical output voltage is 0.3mv for MC inputs. Plus there are much more option for me with 0.5mv MC. HAs anybody out here compared the SPL with 5mv with 40db gain vs. 0.5mv w/ 60db gain? I believe it wound be almost the same.

dean_martin
06-07-2006, 08:28 PM
Thanks for advice JohnMichael and Dean Martin.

I was considering Grado Sonata or Platinum Statement (0.5mv). After some inquiries, I was informed that I must use 47k stage to play with the Statement series. Since my MM phono stage only has 40db gain, it will not do. I believe if I use med output cart, it might load alot of strain on my TubeBox. My manual states that typical output voltage is 0.3mv for MC inputs. Plus there are much more option for me with 0.5mv MC. HAs anybody out here compared the SPL with 5mv with 40db gain vs. 0.5mv w/ 60db gain? I believe it wound be almost the same.

If you've decided to get a moving coil, you might want to try a high output mc with your 40db phono stage (unless you're thinking of getting another phono stage or step-up transformer). I went with the Ortofon MC3-Turbo which has an output rating of 3.3mV because my phono stage's gain is rated at 30db (actually some dealers have claimed that the gain increases to 39db with use of its level control). Probably 2.2mV, 2.5mV or higher would work best with a 40db phono stage. The high output mcs are intended to work with most mm phono stages. Some say that most high output mcs are "hashy" in the high frequencies. I haven't noticed that with mine.

Assuming that you're asking about 60db gain because your phono stage has an mc setting, you might want to play around with the gain calculator at this site:

http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/index.htm

jrhymeammo
06-08-2006, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the link. That's the website I used to figure out what I would need. Very useful site. I think I would search for a sub $400 cart with 0.5mv. My current cart with 5.0mv w/ 40 gain is just enough so 0.5mv w/ 60db gain will probably do.