Multi room audio set up [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Multi room audio set up

Aus Rotten
06-05-2006, 08:34 PM
Hi all, i hope my first post isnt to forward.... but here goes. what would I need to run 2 ch audio in 6-8 rooms? The 6 rooms are wired for 5 spkr surround and will have their own surround set up in each, then 2 of the bathrooms are wired for a single speaker. i want to run the main house audio power source throughout the rooms, through the front left and rights in each room and the 2 singles in the bathrooms and have volume controls in the rooms. i have no idea were to start. the wires were run and speaker holes cut so now i need to learn what i need for the main living room source. i need something to run the audio in the rooms (just l and r, not the surround) and also be the main theater source in the living room.

Resident Loser
06-06-2006, 10:30 AM
Hi all, i hope my first post isnt to forward.... but here goes. what would I need to run 2 ch audio in 6-8 rooms? The 6 rooms are wired for 5 spkr surround and will have their own surround set up in each, then 2 of the bathrooms are wired for a single speaker. i want to run the main house audio power source throughout the rooms, through the front left and rights in each room and the 2 singles in the bathrooms and have volume controls in the rooms. i have no idea were to start. the wires were run and speaker holes cut so now i need to learn what i need for the main living room source. i need something to run the audio in the rooms (just l and r, not the surround) and also be the main theater source in the living room.

...professional help!...

Seriously, you might want to consult someone who does that Muzak-sort of thing...Russound and Rane are two mfrs. that come to mind for the hardware...there are other units that can run on CAT5 with IR remotes and such...Onkyo, maybe Denon, Rotel...

Nothing is impossible, but be forwarned such a scheme will be a nightmare to install by yourself (unless you have some related experience) and will put a big dent in your wallet as specialized equipment and the electrical service to power it all will be required.

jimHJJ(...just some of the realities involved...)

nightflier
06-06-2006, 01:10 PM
This is indeed a big project.

If you do do it yourself, you should do it in small stages. From your post it wasn't clear how many rooms had surround sound (all of them?). If that's the case, you might be better off running optical to each room. If not, then do the smaller rooms (the bathrooms?) first as these will require mono sound instead of stereo.

The key with this setup is documentation. Did the previous installer leave you diagrams so that there's a way to know what runs where inside the walls? If not, you'll have to spend some time testing with a voltmeter and labeling everything. You'll need to calculate impedance loads for each room too. Your amplifiers will need to be able to drive these loads.

Another big question to ask is if this will be for heigher-end sound or just for background music. Maybe you might want the hi-end in some rooms but not all. Of course, if all speakers are in-wall, then it won't ever be as good as box speakers.

As this is a big project, there's also a myriad of options and suggestions other can give you (for example, how to control volume & source). Doing the project in stages and will allow you to post your questions here as they come up at each stage.

Aus Rotten
06-06-2006, 06:42 PM
Thanks! that info really helps, and your right, i need to label all the wires first. and it will be done in steps. I have the budget for middle to high end for the main source in the living room. the speaker holes are in the ceiling, 61/2", 5 rooms, 5 holes each for surround. im not to thrilled about the location but thats how its set up. the main source will be running the multi room stereo and living room sorround. i guess i will start by learning what will be needed to power this mess. thanks for your imput.

Resident Loser
06-07-2006, 07:16 AM
...off-topic...a fan of the spud-boys?

Didn't think there were too many of us around...

"...and he wore a hat
and he had a job
and he brought home the bacon
so that no one knew..."

jimHJJ(...DEVOlution is real...Jocko Homo...)

Aus Rotten
06-08-2006, 09:16 PM
Yes, big fan....from the late 70's. also my daughter (17) has been a huge fan since she was 13 or so, we took her to see them twice in the last 2 years. her first time she got to go back stage and they drew all over her shirt for her. Now they are working with Disney with a new "Devo", Devo2.0. thanks for the response RL, i checked out Russound and they have something that i think will work.