Any thoughts on these bands? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on these bands?

Mr Peabody
06-05-2006, 07:30 PM
I was reading a bio on Candace Night and saw she sang on a Beto Vasquez project (Infinity) along with Tarja of Nightwish and another girl from the band Edenbridge. This project really has my attention. I also went to check out Edenbridge samples and ran across bands like Epica, Sirenia and Transmania. I can't remember what is what from the samples but most of the bands had a female singer doing Tarja style vocals and a male doing Cookie Monster vocals. All of these I guess are called Melodic Metal. The samples of some sounded interesting but I'm not big on the CM vocals. I can't remember which band but one of the females was really operetic to the point that I don't think I could handle it.

Samples are something to go on but not much, any thoughts or suggestions in this genre? The mentioned bands particularly. I plan to seek the Infinity album. With those ladies singing, it should be in ones collection.

Dusty Chalk
06-05-2006, 08:14 PM
I dig Epica and Sirenia a lot, but are you sure that they follow the female/male lead vocals formula (aka "Beauty and the Beast vocals")? I don't remember them doing that, except maybe on a song or two (but then again, I'm geezin'). Haven't heard of Transmania, will have to check that out (as well as the Infinity project).

Maybe I've just begun tuning out the cookie monster vocals, because I hear them so much.

Double-check those, please, especially Sirenia -- I'm pretty sure they don't have cookie monster vocals. Please report back if I'm wrong. Epica, I'm not so sure about.

Duds
06-06-2006, 09:57 AM
Tristania, Flowing Tears, The Gathering

Dusty Chalk
06-06-2006, 01:51 PM
Tristania, Flowing Tears, The GatheringSeconded.

Mr Peabody
06-06-2006, 05:51 PM
Tristania! that's it, not Transmania. I'm sure a couple of those bands have CMV. I will go back and check the samples again to try to get specifics but it might not be until I get more time.

Dusty Chalk
06-06-2006, 09:00 PM
Oh, okay, then I can cross that off my list, as I am already into them. You may also want to add Theatre of Tragedy to Duds' list.

Mr Peabody
06-07-2006, 06:52 PM
I checked out Epica Consign to Oblivian & We'll Take You With Us, and both had at least one sample song with Cookie. The samples are only several seconds so it's hard to tell if the male vocals are a big part of the songs, I'd say not. It's interesting that these albums release dates are only 2 months apart, I wonder if they are reissues and have different original dates. CTO is more symphonic where WTYWU seems to have more thrash style guitar. Eden Bridge samples were few but on Sunrise in Eden no CMV was found. Sirenia, An Elixir For Existence the male vocals were mixed, some normal and some rough but not quite CM, they were still understandable, a couple female vocal songs. At 6's & 7's seemed to have the male and female vocals woven together in the songs more and sound like a good Metal album. Trismania, Beyond the Veil definitely CMV. I didn't hear much female vocals, especially in a lead on this album, but the music was great. I might have to get this even though it's not my type of vocals, the style does fit the feel of the album. About the same for Widows Weed. I liked the keyboard style of BTV better. Leaves Eyes was a beauty & the beast mix of vocals and my least favorit of all the bands. No samples of Within Temptation was available on Amazon.

Dusty Chalk
06-08-2006, 12:10 AM
Agh! You will love Within Temptation, just get Mother Earth.

I must've just gotten (comfortably) numb to the cookie monster vocals.