Trouble Copying from Dvd player to dvd recorder [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Copying from Dvd player to dvd recorder

dirtypuddles
01-29-2004, 01:07 PM
I just received a dvd recorder for xmas and it seems that it will not allow dvds to copy other dvds. The recorder keeps saying invaliid copy the recorder is a panasonic dmre50. My roomate and I checked the owners manual and we are using the correct dvd-r disc. Any responses would be of help.

Jim Clark
01-29-2004, 02:24 PM
It's designed like that to keep you from abusing copyright laws so you will not be permitted to copy protected DVDs. The problems is that you will also not be able to exercise your rights to fair use by making a working back up of titles you own. I'd imagine a Google search would yield some workarounds which would probably void the warranty of your recorder.

There are ways to overcome these limitations with a PC based DVDR.

jc

dirtypuddles
01-30-2004, 09:27 AM
Can you get around the fed govt then by buying a dvd burner for your pc?

Slosh
01-30-2004, 11:06 AM
Can you get around the fed govt then by buying a dvd burner for your pc?

I got a Sima SCC (color corrector) in '98 for about $100 to , um, backup :rolleyes: DVDs to S-VHS. It defeats Macrovision levels 1 & 2 and works as advertised. This is the kind of product you would need for your component DVD burner. There are some cheaper "black boxes" out there (including the Sima Copymaster) but they don't stop Macrovision level 2 and don't have s-video connections.

A computer DVD burner with a program like DVD Xcopy (not sure of the exact name but I believe the software bundled with most burner drives should let you copy movies) will allow you to make backups as well and unlike the component-type burners, will let you copy 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS. Since recordable DVD is limited to single-layer you may have to eliminate some of the special features, etc. and/or use some compression which will lower picture quality. You'll need a fairly up-to-date computer too.

Jim Clark
01-30-2004, 11:50 AM
I got a Sima SCC (color corrector) in '98 for about $100 to , um, backup :rolleyes: DVDs to S-VHS. It defeats Macrovision levels 1 & 2 and works as advertised. This is the kind of product you would need for your component DVD burner. There are some cheaper "black boxes" out there (including the Sima Copymaster) but they don't stop Macrovision level 2 and don't have s-video connections.

A computer DVD burner with a program like DVD Xcopy (not sure of the exact name but I believe the software bundled with most burner drives should let you copy movies) will allow you to make backups as well and unlike the component-type burners, will let you copy 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS. Since recordable DVD is limited to single-layer you may have to eliminate some of the special features, etc. and/or use some compression which will lower picture quality. You'll need a fairly up-to-date computer too.

I'm not sure that DVD X Copy is going to come bundled with anything. At least I haven't seen that or X Copy express come with a PC DVD burner. Of course you can buy them as stand alone products and I will say that they work.

DVD Copy Express will, by default, copy the DVD to one disc. It does a good job of compression when needed to cram it all in there and you do have some flexibilty in chosing to eliminate some features, namely audio.

DVD X Copy will allow you to fully copy the DVD without any form of compression at all, and will allow you to keep all of the features and menus. Most discs require that you split it in two, requiring and 'intermission'. Of course some discs just fit on 1 DVD which is nice.

The programs are a bit quirky but so far work as advertised even though they are a bit pricey. I know there are shareware and freeware programs that can do the same thing but not everything in one nice little package with a one button copy feature.

jc

Slosh
01-30-2004, 03:32 PM
I'm not sure that DVD X Copy is going to come bundled with anything. At least I haven't seen that or X Copy express come with a PC DVD burner. Of course you can buy them as stand alone products and I will say that they work. --snip, snip--

That's good to know, Jim. I don't have a DVD burner so I'm pretty much talkin' out my backside :p

I did see a Pioneer drive for about $200 a few months back and I thought about getting it along with DVD X Copy (if the bundled software was crap) but there's very few movies I'd want to watch more than once so what's the point? I got my first DVD player over six years ago and still only have about forty discs (and ten or so of which are concerts), not counting my daughter's movies. $4.00 for the rental and a buck for a blank DVD and you're often better off just buying a legit copy (and $4.00 a piece for an s-vhs tape means I only copy stuff that's OOP or hard to find new).

I have to admit though it would be kinda cool to eliminate all of the menus and special features, subtitles, second audio track, etc. so you could just pop in a disc and have it play without having to navigate through all that set-up junk first.

This Guy
01-30-2004, 05:35 PM
That's good to know, Jim. I don't have a DVD burner so I'm pretty much talkin' out my backside :p

I did see a Pioneer drive for about $200 a few months back and I thought about getting it along with DVD X Copy (if the bundled software was crap) but there's very few movies I'd want to watch more than once so what's the point? I got my first DVD player over six years ago and still only have about forty discs (and ten or so of which are concerts), not counting my daughter's movies. $4.00 for the rental and a buck for a blank DVD and you're often better off just buying a legit copy (and $4.00 a piece for an s-vhs tape means I only copy stuff that's OOP or hard to find new).

I have to admit though it would be kinda cool to eliminate all of the menus and special features, subtitles, second audio track, etc. so you could just pop in a disc and have it play without having to navigate through all that set-up junk first.

This is what I got. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=4128&sku=T26-2268

It's an excellant deal. The dvd xcopy is great software, lets you copy 5.1 DD and the video is perfect. Although It doesn't have menus and starts just like a VHS tape. Here's our burner http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=698612&Sku=A450-2027&CatId=89

This combo works great and makes great "back up" dvd's. Only had trouble with a couple discs that really went out of their way to make sure you can't copy them. It copies the disc fine 95% of the time. It's a great money saver.

-Joey

Jim Clark
01-30-2004, 07:17 PM
It doesn't have menus and starts just like a VHS tape.
-Joey

Not true. DVD X Copy will and does copy menus. If the disc is large enough to require a split you can even set it up so that it starts with the menu on the second disc if that's what you want.

From the website: "Make high quality backups to a single disc or perfect quality backups - including menus, trailers and special features – the choice is yours.

DVD X Copy GOLD gives you the choice - burn your entire DVD – including menus, trailers and special effects – to a single disc with high quality, or create a perfect quality movie backup on multiple discs."

No I don't work for the company, just use the software and include the menus on every single copy.

jc

This Guy
01-30-2004, 07:51 PM
i wasn't sure, I use the software too, but it's mstly my dad that uses it

dirtypuddles
01-31-2004, 01:54 PM
Anyone know anyway around it not using the computer instead using a regualat dvd burner

Jim Clark
01-31-2004, 03:57 PM
Anyone know anyway around it not using the computer instead using a regualat dvd burner

As I said, you can do a quick google search to find work arounds. I guess you decided not to. One potential solution is to buy a DVDP that has C.G.M.S Disabled which will make it DVDR friendly. There are other ways as well which you should be able to find with a minimal amount of effort.

Here's one link to get you started. http://www.world-import.com/DVD-RV32-2.htm You're gonna have to take it from here.

jc

dirtypuddles
01-31-2004, 04:28 PM
thanks for being so helpful

Slosh
01-31-2004, 05:23 PM

Sheesh man, I even put it in bold type for ya.