Speakers for a fraternity house [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speakers for a fraternity house

clindst
06-04-2006, 05:09 PM
So I am living at a fraternity house and I want some speakers to put outside during parties. I have a RCA RV-3695 receiver (can't find the specs online) and I want to hook up two speakers to it. Currently we are using a home theatre receiver connected to 2 MTX TP112 speakers. This setup works fine but I want something a little louder that doesnt distort at higher output. What is a good value pair of speakers. The MTX speakers will not be available next year so I am looking for something to replace them. I can currently get the MTX for 120 + tax at circuit city (each) Can someone point me in the right direction because I can't seem to find something that fits my needs. In case you need to know these speakers and amp will be connected to the sound card of a PC. basically I want a 2 speaker stereo setup that doesnt cost too much and I am thinking that the RCA unit should be fine to drive the 2 speakers. if anyone has any experience with that RCA reciever please fill me in

royphil345
06-10-2006, 01:27 PM
MTX speakers don't sound that great, but do handle some power. When you turn your volume up and hear distortion... what you're probably hearing is your reciever running out of power and "clipping". You have to be careful not to do this. A receiver can put out much more power than it is rated at. The rating is only how much CLEAN power it can put out. The waveforms of a distorted output are also more damaging to speakers.

For really loud sound outdoors... anything that says RCA on it probably won't cut the mustard. You'd be better off with a separate amplifier in the 150 watt per channel + range. Better too much than not enough. A pro-audio amp on the inexpensive side would be fine if you're not worried about the absolute best sound quality, or a little noise from a cooling fan. You can get around using a pre-amp by using the computer's sound card as a preamp (which it really is) and just using the volume and tone controls on the computer. Hook the sound card straight to the amp. Otherwise, you could use a preamp or a receiver with preamp outputs (probably not on your RCA).

For speakers... Just look for something with a high efficiency rating (less power = louder sound). If you come across any DCM KX-12 or KX-212 used, they'd be perfect for your purposes. Loud, handle LOTS of power and have a good built in protection system for the drivers. Will take some abuse. MTX aren't the worst... think maybe you're just running out of juice. Cerwin Vega of course... I've heard the new V-series and especially the Classic Series are quite good, even sound-quality wise. Could look at DJ or PA speakers as well. Would work great outdoors. Tend to sound too bright indoors in a room that's not packed with people though. They're made to throw sound farther than home stereo speakers and not be muffled out in a packed house. Peavey makes some really big and reasonably inexpensive PA speakers. There are tons of inexpensive DJ speakers out there. Some sound OK, others SUCK... listen before you buy.

audio_dude
06-10-2006, 03:36 PM
what about a set of self powered monitors...you can use a 1/8" minijack to XLR connection and plug them straight from your computer or iPod or anything else you want!!!

Worf101
06-12-2006, 06:52 AM
Find a set of DCM-12's . Big, loud and you absolutely cannot kill them..

Da Worfster

jocko_nc
06-12-2006, 07:19 AM
Back in the Day, we used 15 inch Peavy horn cabinets. Hooked up to a suitable amp, those things would make your ears bleed. They were easy to move around and were indestructable. Impervious to deaft beer.

Seriously, I would look into pro audio. Perhaps scour the used music and pawn shops and find a decent 2-way PA loudspeaker. Buy good quailty cheap. Damaged is even better. You can get repair parts from PartsExpress and have very respectable speakers. The receiver may be o.k., but you'll be better off with a powerful amp, particularly one suited for playing a party. Use the receiver as a source, along with whatever else you have. Let the amp handle the abuse.

jocko

jocko_nc
06-12-2006, 07:25 AM
I recently picked up a pair of AcousticResearch "Rock Partners" 8.00 two-ways at the Goodwill for $10.00. These are essentially mini stage monitors, trapezoid MDF cabinets and a hard plastic veneer of some type. I purchased some Eminence drivers and piezo tweeters to rebuild them with as soon as I get the time. Total will be about $100.00 and guarantee you they will absolutely crank. 100 watts into these things will annoy the entire neighborhood.

jocko

royphil345
06-12-2006, 09:25 AM
http://www.zzounds.com/item--QSCRMX850

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?dp=E2F2126212E6723253A3D363C3B357E3736 37353234313&stk_code=gemgxa750&svbname=32&CA=Y

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-PR-Cerwin-Vega-Speakers-VE-15F-VE15-VE-15-VE15F-NR_W0QQitemZ9738464444QQcategoryZ71569QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-PR-Cerwin-Vega-Speakers-VE-12F-VE-12-VE12-VE12F-NR_W0QQitemZ9738985451QQcategoryZ71569QQssPageName ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEVPR15N

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Pair-600W-MTX-Studio-Monitor-Speakers-Karaoke-DJ-NR_W0QQitemZ7421968884QQihZ016QQcategoryZ47093QQrd Z1QQcmdZViewItem

MikeyBC
06-12-2006, 08:30 PM
I've seen cerwin vega D-9's cheap used...or look for some older klipch models that had very high effiency ratings...and they rocked.

The Tahitijack
06-17-2006, 06:45 AM
You need to move to pro sound reinforcement and get a set of Mackie speakers. They'll set you back some serious cash but will hold up to outdoors and play lound and clear.

ndangrd
06-18-2006, 07:50 PM
Find a set of DCM-12's . Big, loud and you absolutely cannot kill them..

Da Worfster

i had the dcm kx-12's before i upgraded to the 212's...& you're right, you cannot kill them. 10 years later they are still pounding away!!! the only problem i've had is the binding posts have broke but that was due to me moving them around too many times.

you can find the dcm's on ebay once in a while. i auditioned them right next to the cerwin vega 15's, & the dcm's blew them away in sound output & quality. you have to realize that none of these speakers are going to win any sound quality awards but not very many speakers can play this loud without severe distortion either...

superpanavision70mm
06-18-2006, 10:53 PM
Obviously the people on this site are going to point you in the direction for sound quality, but my best guess is that you are looking for sheer power. Something loud to get your groove on to...right? In that case you are going to choose the path of the DJ gear. Most DJ's and venues use loudspeakers that are different than your typical home theater or home audio gear. Check out some DJ equipment sites and I think you will find what you are looking for.

Worf101
06-19-2006, 05:12 AM
i had the dcm kx-12's before i upgraded to the 212's...& you're right, you cannot kill them. 10 years later they are still pounding away!!! the only problem i've had is the binding posts have broke but that was due to me moving them around too many times.

you can find the dcm's on ebay once in a while. i auditioned them right next to the cerwin vega 15's, & the dcm's blew them away in sound output & quality. you have to realize that none of these speakers are going to win any sound quality awards but not very many speakers can play this loud without severe distortion either...

I consider DCM to be my "guilty audio pleasure". When you want to rock or Disco you can't ask any more of a speaker than to play loud, play clear and move your guts with bass. DCM does that and you just... can't... kill... them... I know I had my then girlfriend's two teen aged boys try their royal damndest to do just that.

Da Worfster

Sir Terrence the Terrible
06-19-2006, 09:19 AM
I would recommend either Cerwin Vega or Klipsch La Scala or La Scala II if you can find them used. Now those are party speakers, that have a good sound quality even when played very loud. In order to fill a space with loud clean music, the only way to go is with a horn loaded woofer system. None of the klipsch speakers will require more than 25-40 watts to fill most any large space.