Subwoofer with active speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer with active speakers

rossp
06-04-2006, 10:06 AM
I have a pair of M-Audio powered monitors that I'd like to add a sub to - the problem is that they are active (amp integrated into one of the speakers) and so the only connections they have are 1/4" and RCA inputs (one pair of each). THere is a speaker cable connection between the two speakers. That is all the connectivity there is - are there any ways to add a sub to this set up? It's for music and a relatively small apartment so doesn't need to be too powerful.

N. Abstentia
06-04-2006, 10:39 AM
I assume you're using an A/V reciever with RCA preouts to send the signal to the speakers? If so, you can hook a subwoofer up to the subwoofer RCA preamp output and you're good to go.

The Outlaw LFM-2 should work fine.
www.outlawaudio.com

rossp
06-04-2006, 01:44 PM
No - that's the problem. The speakers have an integrated amp i.e. the only input to the speakers is an RCA input which comes direct from the source - mp3 player etc (no preamp / amp etc).

I've spotted the M-Audio SBX (the monitors are M-Audio) - which seems to be an option - it will take the main audio inputs and then pass on the HF signals at line level into the main speakers - not sure if this is common on any other HiFi type gear? This would then look like this: source====sub====L&R speakers

N. Abstentia
06-04-2006, 01:49 PM
No - that's the problem. The speakers have an integrated amp i.e. the only input to the speakers is an RCA input which comes direct from the source - mp3 player etc (no preamp / amp etc).

This is exactly why you need a preamp..the preamp outputs from a recevier would connect to the preamp inputs on your speakers, then you have a subwoofer output also. It's really no different from using normal speakers except that the amp is in the speakers instead of in the receiver. I'm very familiar with this type of setup since my fronts are Active Paradigms. They're a little different, but the basics are the same.

Feanor
06-04-2006, 05:17 PM
I've spotted the M-Audio SBX (the monitors are M-Audio) - which seems to be an option - it will take the main audio inputs and then pass on the HF signals at line level into the main speakers - not sure if this is common on any other HiFi type gear? This would then look like this: source====sub====L&R speakers

Yes, the SBX sub has the configuration you describe. The source stereo inputs go to the sub which applies high pass filters for the left & right mains speakers and a low pass for itself. This sounds like an excellent solution for your application. See the SBX manual ...

http://www.m-audio.com/images/global/manuals/SBX_Manual.pdf