Bought the Original Omen... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bought the Original Omen...

Defshep
06-04-2006, 06:46 AM
Picked it up yesterday. Had to look around, though, as it was sold out in most places due to interest in the new remake. Found the 2001 special edition dvd at a Blockbuster for 8 bucks, which was a pretty good deal, as Amazon has it listed for $35! I guess it's because of the 2-disc version coming out. Didn't care about it enough to blow $18, as it apparently is the same transfer with extended special features (think Jaws 25th anniv. as compared to Jaws 30th). It really is still spooky! If you let yourself get sucked in, you can overlook some of the cheesy, over-dramatic close-ups and sound effects (like the synthesizer effects when the dogs appear). Terrific acting from Gregory Peck and David Warner. As I hadn't seen it in a while, I was surprised how well it holds up. Jerry Goldsmith's score is truly unsettling. Still wondering how the remake will hold up next to it.

Defshep
06-06-2006, 03:05 AM
So far, the remake has gotten terrible reviews, except for Ebert & Roeper. They gave it two thumbs up, saying it's better than the original! I'm not sure Ebert liked the '76 version anyway...

superpanavision70mm
06-06-2006, 09:35 PM
I wonder if the new DVD will sound as good as the 12" Laserdisc that I am still holding onto.

Defshep
06-07-2006, 12:48 AM
Not sure. The disc I have was mixed in 5.1 surround in 2001. I would be very surprised if the audio/video transfer has been upgraded, as it probably looks and sounds as good as possible for it's age.
edit: Yes, Jaws looks and sounds great, but I don't think Fox will put Speilberg-type cash into The Omen.

superpanavision70mm
06-07-2006, 01:17 PM
Yeah, I have heard mixed things about the 5.1 mix on that film along with many films of it's age....most of them sound a bit thin because it seems like the only way that "most" remixes of older films (films typically in mono or stereo) is that when the do a 5.1 from that ...the sound becomes way too thin and spread. The 12" Laserdisc was stereo, but sounder far thicker by comparison. They don't necessarily need to spend loads of money to do this correct....just take the stereo mix from the older masters and add that as an addition to a 5.1 remix.