Expert & Friendly advice kindly requested! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Expert & Friendly advice kindly requested!

DannyTanner
06-04-2006, 02:42 AM
Hello everyone.

I am sure glad I came across this forum!

I have a bit of a problem and was wondering if some of you kind folks might be able to guide me a bit.

I recently purchased a Creative Labs Audigy X-Fi Platinum sound card for my computer.
I bought this soundcard because I use my computer for entertainment and make music.

I currently have an old zenith surround sound reciever and am looking to buy a new reciever for my new speakers.

I bought some Event 20/20 150W Non Powered Studio Monitors. I know that the traditional thing to do is get an amp to power these things but since they dont require quarter inch jacks i figured that a receiver might do the trick.

I strated doing some research and found myself at a dead end. I would love to find an old school style rack stereo receiver but all i keep on coming across with is home theater systems and im not sure if that would be apropriate to power my speakers as im not familiar with home theater audio.

I ideally would like to have a FM recevier that can link to audio devices like the old traditional stereo systems with cd player, etc. and be powerfull enough to power these speakers and be able to switch over to my Sony SS-MF650H speakers and 5 surround sound speakers for home audio and entertainment.

I am somewhat clueless at this point as almost every system i have owned till now have been shelf systems.

Ideally my sound card would provide the output into the receiver. I would really apreciate all of your help and advice.

thanks for reading!

Danny

audio_dude
06-04-2006, 07:27 AM
wow, thats a big pickel you got there (sorry, i had to say that :P) ok, so what kind of input do your speaker need? (quater inch, XLR, regular binding posts?)

also, it is nearly impossible to find a receiver that is rack mount, it's all HT stuff now...
we also need ur budget too

DannyTanner
06-04-2006, 02:02 PM
thanks for your reply. The speakers use regular speaker cable. I dont need a rack based amp. I have been looking at some kenwood and Sony recievers. My budget is 400-500 dollars. Are home theater receivers in escence the same thing as a FM stereo receiver with several outs such as CD, AUX, Tape, MiniDisc, etc?

This is my setup.

My computer has an ATI X800 All In Wonder Multimedia video card that allows me to listen to radio and watch tv. http://www.ati.com/products/radeonx800/aiwx800xt/

And my soundcard is supposed to be a top of the line video card http://www.soundblaster.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=208&product=14065 also.

I have 2 sony SS-MF650H's speakers that i would like to use with 3 surround sound speakers. It would be awsome if this receiver had an input selector that way i can switch between these 5 speakers and the 2 studio monitors to switch between entertainment mode and production mode. I also think a 400 or 500 watt receiver would work well with this setup. My moitors are 150W a piece and the sony's are 180W a piece.

Im not looking for anythnig super extravagant. I would basically use this system for my computer only. Im looking for something to basically power this system with clarity, loudness and accuracy at high levels. The sound card itself like i said is supposed to deliver all of that, so i dont know if a receiver might interfear with the quality of its output.

any ideas?

thanks again!

Mr Peabody
06-04-2006, 08:17 PM
This computer stuff isn't my area but it sounds like you just need an amplifier and your computer would act as a preamp. You said your computer allows for you to listen to radio, so you wouldn't need a tuner. You just want something to drive the speakers and that's what an amplifier would do. I'd think your sound card would be the place to look for switching from surround sound to stereo.

audio_dude
06-05-2006, 01:32 AM
oh yes, and welcome to the forum! :D

i don't know why i forgot that the first time *D'oh*

DannyTanner
06-05-2006, 02:22 AM
thanks!

yeah what you said makes alot of sence but I would rather buy something that can later be used for something else. That way if i later upgrade which i do every 1-3 years in electronics this item will still be able to be used by someone else where an amp would be limited to a specific use and a receiver could go into a bedroom or other part of the house.

I own a 4 crown amps that are more of a mobile setup type deal. Amps generally generate allot of heat and this piece of hardware will sit next to my monitor in a desk. This type of hardware will interfear with my display and i want to avoid that.

I think the best thing to do is go with a powerful receiver. The other reason why is because If i dont im going to have to buy another mixer to plug into the amp as my current mixer is a digital mixing console based on usb and dosent support speakons or 1/4 jacks.

I know eventually im going to have to go that route but dont plan on doing that until i build a pro audio system specifically for audio.

So if any of you could kindly recommend a system with the previoius goals i would really apreciate it!

Thanks again for taking time to read my thread and for all of your wonderful suggestions and comments.

:cornut:

DannyTanner
06-05-2006, 02:53 AM
I'd think your sound card would be the place to look for switching from surround sound to stereo.

I have owned 2 receivers before that have a button on the pannel that allows you to switch from A and B audio inputs. Its an Input selector that selects the speakers that are plugged in to the back of the unit. That way for instance on input A i would have 2 fronts 2 backs 1 center. and on inmput b i would have 2 fronts (monitors). This would work ideally so I dont have to constantly switch the cables to hear from diff speakers, and be able to switch to hear out of the 2 monitors only.

Better yet to get an idea of what im talking about here is a picture of my pc setup.
those two little speakers that are side by side of the monitor are going and im putting my studio monitors there once i find the proper power sourece. On top of the left speaker si where the receiver would go.

http://img104.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled13hl.jpg

Florian
06-05-2006, 06:53 AM
Welcome Danny!

That pictures is much nicer to look at then Spankys.... (inside joke, but a compliment to you) :-)

Enjoy it here

-Flo

topspeed
06-05-2006, 12:18 PM
It sounds like any avr with at least 7.1 and 2 zone capability will do. This way, you can run your HT in Zone 1 and your two monitors in Zone 2, each with different sources and at the same time. Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, and Pioneer are the most frequently mentioned here. A Denon 2806 falls into your price range and should adequately power your speakers. BTW, peak watt ratings on speakers are meaningless, so don't equate power handling to quality.

Hope this helps and welcome to AR.

DannyTanner
06-05-2006, 05:06 PM
It sounds like any avr with at least 7.1 and 2 zone capability will do. This way, you can run your HT in Zone 1 and your two monitors in Zone 2, each with different sources and at the same time. Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, and Pioneer are the most frequently mentioned here. A Denon 2806 falls into your price range and should adequately power your speakers. BTW, peak watt ratings on speakers are meaningless, so don't equate power handling to quality.

Hope this helps and welcome to AR.

yeah you hit it right on the head. Thank you so much. I really apreciate it. However, do you have a few models you are familiar with that you can recommend?
I was thinking of going with sony since my speakers are sony.

thanks!

topspeed
06-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Just go to any website such as spiritssound.com, audioadvisor.com, or even circuitcity.com or bestbuy.com and shop by price. The $500 range is kind of the sweet spot for mass market goods, so you have a lot of choices. I'm partial to Denon, but there's certainly nothing wrong with Yammie or Pio (or Onkyo...or Marantz...etc.). You might also consider something off the beaten path such as a Cambridge Audio Azur 540r or perhaps a nice NAD avr. Stretch your budget a couple of bills and you're into Rotel, Arcam, and Adcom range.

I not a big fan of Sony avr's. They sound a little too hard and sterile for my tastes. Just because you have Sony speakers doesn't mean you are bound to Sony amplification. Audition a few brands with some music you are familiar with, preferrably over the same speakers and in the same room, and decide which sounds best to you. Pay attention to which units have the features you want, such as multi-zone capability and auto-calibration (an absolute necessity for anyone new to the hobby). The challenge is that there are countless items to look for, it all depends on how far you want to wade into the deep end of the pool. What's not important to the layman is a deal breaker to an audiophile. If you don't care, simply don't get sucked into the hype and buy what sounds best to you.

Hope this helps.

nobose
03-09-2008, 05:01 PM
Hi Dan, I Agree With Topspeed, But Pioneer 7.1 Recievers Have More Sound Fields Options For Stereo Fm/xm , Also I Rescued A Pair Of Event 20/20 Monitors From A Trash Pile, They Kick Out Some Awesome Midbass And Truely Play Music Well, I Replaced The Tweeters And Found A Ball Stuck In The Bass Tube Lol!!!!!!!!! Luv Those Spkrs.!!!!!!