Projector help please [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Projector help please

mdchambe
01-29-2004, 08:28 AM
OK, I like to believe that I know quite a bit about audio, but that knowledge does not extend to projectors. If there are any experts out there, I would appreciate your thoughs on the following screen and projector

http://www.alliantsolutionsinc.com/bundlemain.asp?itemid=430

It is the new Sanyo Sanyo PLV - Z2

Thanks for your help.

woodman
01-29-2004, 11:24 AM
OK, I like to believe that I know quite a bit about audio, but that knowledge does not extend to projectors. If there are any experts out there, I would appreciate your thoughs on the following screen and projector
http://www.alliantsolutionsinc.com/bundlemain.asp?itemid=430
It is the new Sanyo Sanyo PLV - Z2

That is the best deal in a projector out there at this point in time. It's the exact same one that I've recommended to several people at this forum over the past several weeks. There are a couple of cheaper alternatives ... such as the InFocus X1 which can be had for only $1K (plus a screen) but it's a DLP-based unit and some people complain about "rainbow" artifacts with DLP projectors, and since there are hardly any places that one can go and see these units perform for themselves, it becomes a bit of a crapshoot to buy something unseen. An LCD-based projector such as the Sanyo PLV-Z2 does not suffer from any rainbow artifacts or any other such as the infamous "screen-door" effect that plagued many earlier LCD projectors. So long as you don't try to project too large an image (12 ft. or more) or, don't sit too close - you will not see any screen-door effects from this projector. Since it carries an MSRP of $2995 and you can buy a total package for that (or less - depending on screen) it makes it an excellent buy. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one myself if I only had the cash available.

Hope this helped you

brian_tr
01-29-2004, 08:26 PM
I have a Sony 32" TV. I have been wanting to upgrade it but have a problem with my dog. She is a German Shepherd and loves to watch TV and likes to interreact with it. During fight or gunplay scenes she will jump up on the screen and try to take out the bad guy. This has been keeping me from getting a big screen. I was thinking that a projector may work where I can get the screen up away from her. I live north of Dallas. Does anybody know where I could see the Sanyo PLV-Z2 at?

AVMASTER
02-04-2004, 05:55 AM
its certainly an attractive pricing package with respectable specs on the projector; if it fits your needs and the room you plan to put it in then i'd recommend skipping the pull-down screen and go with the fixed 92" cinema contour. The contrast is good on the projector but brightness is low so i would upgrade screen material to compensate; also run a DVI cable for future use.

there's several other good options available but you need to answer a few questions first to get the best match for you:
viewing distance- determines screen size, projector ( throw distance/ lenes)
placement- ceiling/ tabletop/ pop-up, is there ac available, cable lenghts, remote control
how will you use it- a dedicated theater, multimedia, everyday television viewing
source components- determines projectors inputs
room lighting- controlled/ windows with treatment/ dedicated theater( darkened with no windows)