New 007 May Not Be So Bad... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New 007 May Not Be So Bad...

Defshep
06-02-2006, 03:11 PM
I know we all bashed the new guy playing 007. Heck, I can't even remember his name right now. But after seeing some behind-the-scenes stuff on cable recently, I was kinda impressed. The dude apparently does alot of his stunts, and seems to "get it" as to what James Bond is all about. It could still be a Timothy Dalton-like miscasting of epic proportions. But I'll at least give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

superpanavision70mm
06-02-2006, 10:15 PM
Ok, here's the thing...

First, they should let Tarantino direct the Bond that he wants to make....one that is a true send up to the 60's Bond and set in that era as well. I know he could do it well. Instead they get Martin Campbell because he will be like a puppet on the studios hands and do whatever they want. Oh sure he's a competant director....especially if you thought Vertical Limit was a masterpiece. If Tarantino was behind the wheel it really wouldn't matter who played Bond...although I would have liked to have seen Clive Owen. I think that if you have a solid film like On Her Majesty's Secret Service....you don't even need a Bond that talks ....if you know what I mean. Oh well, guess we can settle for another torture test like DIE ANOTHER DAY. Yawn.

shokhead
06-03-2006, 04:44 AM
I havent bashed him because i always wait to see the new bond in action before i do.

RGA
06-03-2006, 11:00 PM
Timothy Dalton was not the problem -- License to Kill was one of the best the series ever put out -- the other films he was in stunk.

There is a notion to what James Bond oughta be. Roger Moore played it tongue in cheek and it worked for the era. Sean was the perfect Bond but I have to say his adventures were not the most interesting on the whole. His charisma won the day. On Her Majesty's Secret Service was probably the best story to be nearly handicapped by the worst actor to play the part.

Ralph Fiennes was in discussion to play Bond but his vision was to take it back to the Dr. No On Her Majesty's Secret Service and explore the man and not the blue screen special effects. He wanted to have a character to play not a card board action cut-out. What would a man with a license to kill really be like? A man that can't get close to anyone because they may die so they shut their emotions off. Indeed, he is the perfect actor at playing intense and brooding and would have been an interesting choice for the role.

But I get the sense that Bond has now been so subverted into the action realm that most fans have come to expect the big special effects over the story. Which is why Ralph ad probably several other actors decided to take a pass. Daniel Craig though has an opportunity to make a big name for himself here and that is tough to turn down.

There is a website against Craig for bond http://www.craignotbond.com/news/index_20060518_sunday_express_film_critic_rips_cra ig_as_bond.html which is silly because the Bond franchise needs an overhaul. The same old same old needs a facelist -- not sure it's going to be in the right direction but it was getting stale.

Still like Mission Impossible III that I saw last night -- these ind of films are brain candy -- MI3 is completely implausible even silly but that is partly why we go.

Still I would like to see a Bond character as a character study that Fiennes wanted rather than yet another car chase sequence that merely tries to outdo the one that was in the film before it.

shokhead
06-04-2006, 05:15 AM
The reason,or at least one of them PB isnt JB is he wanted more story and less action and they wanted to go back in time to what JB was like and did when he was a younger,more of a rookie JB. Now i dont know what the next movie holds and i'll wait and see.BTW,i wouldnt put JB and MI3 in the same sentence.

Defshep
06-04-2006, 06:27 AM
There is a danger of it becoming too much of an action film, without the sly 007 wit. The wink, wink attitude and the absolutely fantastic feats need to be intact for this one. I don't wanna see "The Bond Identity"!

basite
07-04-2006, 05:03 AM
i saw the new bond guy in Layer cake (movie) and there he did play his role quite well so i think the new bond movie will be better than the whole pierce brosnan series

shokhead
07-04-2006, 07:47 AM
I didnt know anything was wrong with the P B series?

Defshep
07-04-2006, 08:12 AM
There wasn't.

Kam
07-04-2006, 09:13 AM
I know we all bashed the new guy playing 007. Heck, I can't even remember his name right now. But after seeing some behind-the-scenes stuff on cable recently, I was kinda impressed. The dude apparently does alot of his stunts, and seems to "get it" as to what James Bond is all about. It could still be a Timothy Dalton-like miscasting of epic proportions. But I'll at least give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

LOL Finally!! that's what i've been saying from the get-go! Although i have gone a bit further and said he could be the best bond ever because i think he can bring a complexity to the role that we havent seen yet, mainly because either the studios/director/etc didnt want bond to be too dark, or for whatever reason. But everything Daniel Craig has done that ive seen has been phenomenal and he completely transforms himself (watch Layer Cake and The Jacket and see the difference, heck, see if you even recognize him in The Jacket).