Help choosing a reciever... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing a reciever...

Mugen
06-01-2006, 07:53 PM
Hi, my dad has decided he wants to get the Infinity Primus 250s for our front speakers (one on each side of our HDTV):

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-AGK18EdkcYD/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?I=700p250&wm=cl

We already have a 10" sub that doesn't need replacing. Our current reciever is only one channel, so we can't listen to music on our speakers outside by the pool (two Polk Audio speakers) while using the surround system to watch movies. Plus it's really old and crappy >_>

We have 4 Klipsch speakers right now (but we are only keeping 2 for the rear, I dunno what's gonna happen to the others) and we also need to buy a new center channel.

So, I need this:

A receiver that has at least 2 channels, sounds great, and costs around $300 and a good center channel speaker (doesn't have to be great, but don't want to spend a fortune).

Thanks for any help and I'll post any other information needed upon request :D

paul_pci
06-01-2006, 08:11 PM
If you're already shopping on Crutchfield, get the Yamaha RX-V459 for $299 and then get the matching Infinity center channel.

Mugen
06-01-2006, 08:19 PM
That one will allow us to have music playing outside and watch movies inside with surround sound at the same time, right? I'm assuming this line 2 sets of main speaker outputs means that, but this is the most important part, and I want to be sure.

And get the C25 center channel (like the Primus 250s suggest). Thanks man :D

JohnMichael
06-02-2006, 08:14 AM
That one will allow us to have music playing outside and watch movies inside with surround sound at the same time, right? I'm assuming this line 2 sets of main speaker outputs means that, but this is the most important part, and I want to be sure.

And get the C25 center channel (like the Primus 250s suggest). Thanks man :D

Are you saying you would like a receiver that will allow Speaker A to play soundtracks and Speaker B to play another music source?

Resident Loser
06-02-2006, 08:28 AM
Are you saying you would like a receiver that will allow Speaker A to play soundtracks and Speaker B to play another music source?

...I think so...although this confused me to no end:

...Our current reciever is only one channel...

Maybe a 7.1 unit with Zone 2 capability?

jimHJJ(...for that $300 sounds a bit lowball to me...)

ADDENDUM: Onkyo TX-SR603X Crutchfield Cart price $399.. 7.1 unit...has dual room/dual source capability ...HT will run 5.1 plus independent source 2-ch stereo...

ADDENDUM yet againdum: Crutchfield Scratch and Dent has a few more units in the posters price range but they are SONY units...not nuts about SONY...

Resident Loser
06-02-2006, 09:15 AM
...soooo...as a separate post:

The Yamaha mentioned is a no-go for your requirements...

ADDENDUM: Onkyo TX-SR603X Crutchfield Cart price $399.. 7.1 unit...has dual room/dual source capability ...HT will run 5.1 plus independent source 2-ch stereo...@$449 the Denon AVR-1706, a similar unit...

ADDENDUM yet againdum: Crutchfield Scratch and Dent has a few more units in your price range but they are SONY units...not nuts about SONY...

Center channel speaker:http://www.crutchfield.com/S-u5RXWXGX2bR/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=12100&I=108PC25

At $129 it's designed to match, in timbre, the Infinity's mentioned earlier...seems a logical choice...

jimHJJ(...you really need to match the fronts...)

Mugen
06-02-2006, 10:45 AM
Well, thanks for the help guys. I'll talk to my dad and see what he thinks. If he does spend the $400, would the Onkyo be the best in that range? If we went with the Yamaha, would it provide better quality since it's only one zone?

EDIT:

Oh, and since we already have 4 Klipsch, should we just keep all four and make a 7.1 setup? Like I said, we already have 4, and if we add the 2 Infinity Primus 250 and the Primus center, that would work, right? Were would the other 2 go (on the sides since the Primus are in front and 2 Klipsch are already in back?). Yea, I'm kinda new to all this.

And why do you keep calling me jimHJJ?

GMichael
06-02-2006, 11:15 AM
Well, thanks for the help guys. I'll talk to my dad and see what he thinks. If he does spend the $400, would the Onkyo be the best in that range? If we went with the Yamaha, would it provide better quality since it's only one zone?

EDIT:

Oh, and since we already have 4 Klipsch, should we just keep all four and make a 7.1 setup? Like I said, we already have 4, and if we add the 2 Infinity Primus 250 and the Primus center, that would work, right? Were would the other 2 go (on the sides since the Primus are in front and 2 Klipsch are already in back?). Yea, I'm kinda new to all this.

And why do you keep calling me jimHJJ?

Onkyo & Yamaha are very close in terms of sound & quality.
You may be better to stick with one speaker manufacturer than to mix and match. It would sound OK with the front three Infinity's and the other 4 Klipsch. But it would be better to have all 7 the same.

He calls everyone that. Shhh... don't tell him, but we're kinda worried about him. He spends a lot of time in the sun.

paul_pci
06-02-2006, 11:32 AM
For clarification sake: If (and only if) you are NOT going to be listening to music outside and a movie inside AT THE SAME TIME, then (and only then) will the recommended Yamaha work for your needs. You would run main speakers A for your home theater setup and main speakers B outside. Then when watching a movie, choose selector A and when kickin' it outside, choose selector "B". That's the only way ANY $300 receiver will meet your needs. I hope this clears that up.

Resident Loser
06-02-2006, 11:36 AM
(1)...If he does spend the $400, would the Onkyo be the best in that range?

(2)...If we went with the Yamaha, would it provide better quality since it's only one zone?

(3)...Oh, and since we already have 4 Klipsch, should we just keep all four and make a 7.1 setup?

(4)...Like I said, we already have 4, and if we add the 2 Infinity Primus 250 and the Primus center, that would work, right? Were would the other 2 go (on the sides since the Primus are in front and 2 Klipsch are already in back?).

(5)...And why do you keep calling me jimHJJ?

(1)Either that or the Denon mentioned...I'm partial to Onkyo as I have had some good experience with them...Some folks love Yamaha, but you would have to look at their RXV-659 @$500 for 7.1 HT...and not coincidently it has the dual room/dual source feature/option...and once again to remind you, if you do want stereo out at the pool, your HT will only be 5.1 as you will be using amplifiers 6 and 7 for pool duty...

(2)Not necessarily...The six-channel thing seems a bit odd to me...left/center/right...left rear/center rear/right rear...

(3)You could, but there would be no twistin' by the pool...all seven channels (7.1) would be for HT only...

(4)Bingo! On the sides is correct!

(5)I'm jimHJJ...you are Mugen...

jimHJJ(...see, it's me...good luck and good listening...)

Mugen
06-02-2006, 11:37 AM
Well, our current reciever can already do that (A and B buttons), so we don't want another reciever that only has that (unless my dad doesn't want to spend the extra $$$ since we don't use it <i>that</i> much).

Yea, you guys have it right though, we want to listen to music outside and have the surround on inside at the same exact time, so we need the 2 Zone thing. So, will it sound bad since we'll have the Infinity speakers in front and Klipsch in the rear? I mean, how important are rear sounds anyway?

GMichael
06-02-2006, 11:46 AM
So, will it sound bad since we'll have the Infinity speakers in front and Klipsch in the rear? I mean, how important are rear sounds anyway?

It won't sound bad. The surrounds are not as important as the fronts. But you won't have rears. They will be out by the pool.

Mugen
06-02-2006, 12:07 PM
It won't sound bad. The surrounds are not as important as the fronts. But you won't have rears. They will be out by the pool.

Now you're confusing me. We won't have full 5.1 surround (2 in front, 2 in back, 1 in center) when the 2 Polks outside are on? That's not cool O.o

GMichael
06-02-2006, 12:19 PM
Now you're confusing me. We won't have full 5.1 surround (2 in front, 2 in back, 1 in center) when the 2 Polks outside are on? That's not cool O.o

You will still have 5.1 when the pool Polks are on. I didn't mean to say that you won't. What you will have is, 1 center, 2 fronts and 2 surrounds. The surrounds should be slightly behind you, but not as far back as the rears that are used in 7.1.

My bad for making you think otherwise.

Mugen
06-02-2006, 04:23 PM
Well, he doesn't want to spend the $$$ so we're gonna go with the Yamaha, thanks for the help :D

So, we're getting:

(1) Yamaha RX-V459
(1) Pair of Primus 250s
(1) Primus C25 center channel

Thanks again!

accastil
06-03-2006, 04:10 PM
hi, if you are going to make use of hte receiver plainly for HT, choose between yamaha and denon. however, if you plan to make use of it for both HT and stereo music, consider also marantz and harman kardon. for HK, pair them up with a decent bookshelves cause they tend to sound a bit dull when paired with floor standers. for the marantz, they would work well with just about any type of decent speakers....just a bit on the bright side but can easily be compensated with the receiver settings.