Thinking in Deep Purple [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Thinking in Deep Purple

Mr Peabody
06-01-2006, 06:38 PM
I have recently rediscovered Deep Purple, if you could call it that. I've always been aware of them but now I am finding a new interest or respect. On certain lists like "best vocalists" or "best keyboards", I've never seen ian Gillian or Jon Lord. After some recent listening sessions I have to ask why. On the Live in Japan Gillian's vocal talent is incredible. OK, most of it is on the verge, or is, screaming, but it's good none the less. And Lord's keyboard's are great. Anyone know how he makes his sound? It's almost like he runs his keys through a fuzz box or something. I also have to give props to Ian Paice's drum work. Of course, Ritchie is always good. It is my recent discovery of Blackmore Night that prompted some of my going back and listening to some of Blackmore's earlier work. Deep Purple I just found impressive again. Blackmore's work in Blackmore Night with the various acoustic instruments has also given me a new found respect for his talent. I am definitely not one to normally recommend a DVD for music but if anyone has any interest in Blackmore Night, I'd highly recommend their DVD Castles & Dreams. It is a double disc set for under $20.00 and is full of extras as well as an incredible concert. The DVD offers your choice of DD, DTS or PCM 2 channel. It's high quality and you really get a feel for what the band is about.

So am I on a high from hearing some old jams that haven't been on my system in a while or is DP members not given their proper respect? Is Lord overlooked because he rocks out and makes weird noises with his keyboard? The band still uses symphonic chord progression. What about Hendrix, he is a guitar hero, yet he made quite a bit of noise with his instrument. Listen to Gillian on Child In Time, now that's rock vocals. Oh well, I rest my case, your turn to state the case.

audiobill
06-01-2006, 08:13 PM
Hey, Mr Peabody.

Funny you should mention Deep Purple.
Last week, I just picked up the '97 remastered 25th anniversary 2-CD edition of Machine Head.
Wow!!
The remastering job is outstanding & it's as if they lifted some heavy fog off of the music. It's clean audio allows for the talents of the musicians and the detailed orchestration to really shine through.

As I walked out of the record store, I thought to myself, "I must be the only guy in all of Canada who bought a Deep Purple CD this week." Soon after that thought I felt old and smug.

Cheers,
audiobill

3-LockBox
06-01-2006, 10:04 PM
You know, Deep Purple just never appealed to me....ever. Yes, there are a few songs that I like to here every now and then, but they (DP) have always elluded me. Same with Steppenwolf.

Wireworm5
06-01-2006, 11:27 PM
Deep Purple established their sound with the album 'In Rock' in '69. After the release of Machine Head they then went on tour. By the time they reached Japan they were firing on all cylinders. The magic came together and was their pinnacle moment. After that they went downhill. They released about 5 more albums with each one progressively weaker. Ian Gillan was replaced with Glen Hughes and then David Coverdale. Ritchie then left the band around '74 and formed Rainbow.
In '94 the successful 5 got together once again to try to recreate the magic of 'Made in Japan'. On the cd 'Come Hell or High Water' Ritchie performs one of his best solo performances 'Anya'. I can sense the band feeling the magic once again that had aluded them all the years in between. However on the dvd video, Ritchie throws a tantrum and the song is edited. The band finished the tour with Satriani, as Ritchie's outburst was inexcusable.
It really is a sad story, as Deep Purple could have been so much better. And Ritche could have put out twice as many of his great improve solo's.

shokhead
06-02-2006, 05:58 AM
I got hooked with DP in Rock with the song Speed King. Talking about speed metal.

richmon
06-02-2006, 06:25 AM
And Lord's keyboard's are great. Anyone know how he makes his sound? It's almost like he runs his keys through a fuzz box or something.

Jon uses a Hammond B3 with a Leslie, which were very popular in the sixties, it's a dual speaker thingie that spins. Steppenwolf's keyboard sound also made big use of the leslie.
Here's a diagram ....

3-LockBox
06-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Jon uses a Hammond B3 with a Leslie, which were very popular in the sixties, it's a dual speaker thingie that spins. Steppenwolf's keyboard sound also made big use of the leslie...

there is a video of a band called Rare Earth from the '70s (I think it was the show 'In Concert') and it shows the Leslie speaker in action. Sugarloaf used the B3/Leslie combo as well.

Finch Platte
06-02-2006, 07:56 PM
...many years ago, Deep Purple played Berkeley Square. Blackmore was "sick," so Bob Log III filled in. Log Bomb On The Water, Maybe I'm A Drunk Stripper, Space Truckin' Like A Dog In The Back Of A Truck, String Poley Man, Lady Double Big Ass Hard On and many more hits turned inside out. Debaucherous!

Ian Paice had his drums set up so he could play kick/hi hat w/ his hands and played snare/toms with his feet. Jon Lord had a stripper sitting near/on his keyboard most of the night facing him, and you can imagine his solo spot in Boob Scotch. :nonod:

Wild night. I left when Elvis Costello came out & joined in for an encore of Speed King.

fp

Mr Peabody
06-03-2006, 06:54 AM
I've heard Rare Earth but don't own the live album, which is probably the one to have for this group. I also have Sugar Loaf's album with Green Eyed lady. It still seems to me that Lord took the Leslie to new heights. It could also be that some of the effects I'm hearing is the keyboard and guitar playing the same thing together. Maybe I will have to go back againe for another listen.

Hump
06-03-2006, 07:59 AM
Anybody ever linsten to the "Green Bullfrog" Album from 1971 featuring Jon Lord and Richie Blackmore??? If you get a chance do so. A must for any Deep Purple Fan.