R.I.P.(analoge cable) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P.(analoge cable)

cam
06-01-2006, 06:29 PM
today is the last day that I will be receiving crappy, bunk, terrible, $hitty plain jane regular old cable. Yes you heard me, I will be splurging on a Motorolla 6200 hi-def box through my local cable company tomorrow. I have had a hi-def tv for the last 3 months (Panasonic 34wx15) and I am LONNNGGGGGG over due to give that baby a good signal.

I can't wait. I'm like a kid on Christmas eve. I may not beable to sleep tonight. This is something I should have done the very second that I turned on my hi-def tv, but you know how it goes when you have a wife. I had to take care of a few loose ends, such as a CD player in my wife's corolla, some new planters on my back deck loaded with some colorful flowers, need I say more.

As of tomorrow evening, I will be watching tv the way man was intended to watch tv.

PAT.P
06-01-2006, 07:30 PM
Cam Was wondering about you!You bought this TV on your birthday and no more on it,what gives?Bought the wife a Sharp Aquos 20" for Mothers Day (she got it a week early ,felt pitty because she got shingles) did'nt get box yet.Let me know if it worth it .Waiting to buy the 60"+ LCD before I get HD.:ihih:

cam
06-01-2006, 08:24 PM
After I get it up and running (and drooling over a couple of sporting events) I'll be sure to give an update on the box and the tv. I gotta go to bed now, can't wait till tomorrow.

PAT.P
06-01-2006, 09:04 PM
After I get it up and running (and drooling over a couple of sporting events) I'll be sure to give an update on the box and the tv. I gotta go to bed now, can't wait till tomorrow.Just stay up and wait for the Cable Guy:ihih:

kexodusc
06-02-2006, 03:54 AM
Congrats, Cam. Don't know if you're getting a PVR, or which provider you're going with (Rogers? Bell?), but there's no turning back now.
Discovery channel in HD is wicked - I've learned more about manatees and baboons than any human should ever know.

All the more reason to take advantage of Edtcyt's gracious Datacolor Spyder offer for Canadians to calibrate your set...(shameless plug).

cam
06-02-2006, 01:34 PM
I'm hooking it up........................

L.J.
06-02-2006, 02:06 PM
After I get it up and running (and drooling over a couple of sporting events) I'll be sure to give an update on the box and the tv. I gotta go to bed now, can't wait till tomorrow.

Ah yes, sports in HD is a must. Not sure it's possible to go back to SD once you've experienced your fav sport in HD. Football and so on are all simply amazing. Congrats dude and enjoy. :)

cam
06-02-2006, 02:24 PM
waiting for them to confirm my box and to send me the signal........................

cam
06-02-2006, 08:20 PM
Oh ya baby! I am not a basketball fan but holy crap did that detroit miami game look clear. I went from the game on a non hi-def standard cable station and then toggled to the game on one of the hi-def stations and my jaw dropped, and I only have a 34 inch widescreen. Even my almost 7 year old son was giggling about how much better it looks. Now with this Motorola 6200 box, I think I have made a marginal improvement on the plain jane stations by having them output at 480p. My old cable from the wall to the tv I could only get 480i. An improvement, maybe, but no where near the holy grail of a pure 1080i/720p signal. Just one thing that bothers me, not all these hi-def programs are 16:9 and I don't think I can stretch it to fill the screen like I could with regular cable. Oh well. All and all, I'm glad I finally bucked up the $400.

PAT.P
06-03-2006, 12:25 PM
Cam Glad you spoiled yourself.If you had more than one HD TV do you have to get more box and charge you for every box? What the extra fee in the West a month for HD?:cornut:

cam
06-03-2006, 12:47 PM
Each box is about $400, my cable bill along with my high speed internet was $79 and will now be about $91. But my local cable company has a promotion where I will get $10 off per month for 10 months, so for the first 10 months I will only be paying $2 more then I was previously. If I had another hi-def tv in my house and shelled out another $400 for the box, my bill I believe would go from $91 (after the promotion) to about $93. $2 more to get hi-def in the bedroom is a good deal, besides the price of another tv and box.

PAT.P
06-03-2006, 01:09 PM
Each box is about $400, my cable bill along with my high speed internet was $79 and will now be about $91. But my local cable company has a promotion where I will get $10 off per month for 10 months, so for the first 10 months I will only be paying $2 more then I was previously. If I had another hi-def tv in my house and shelled out another $400 for the box, my bill I believe would go from $91 (after the promotion) to about $93. $2 more to get hi-def in the bedroom is a good deal, besides the price of another tv and box.I pay $109 each month already and no digital box :incazzato: I'll need to check out this ,why do I pay more in Ontario.:incazzato:

cam
06-03-2006, 02:59 PM
You might want to contact your cable provider, over here in BC we have Shaw. $109 does sound a little steep. I might have gone with a satalite box but I still would have had to pay shaw to keep my analogue cable in the 3 bedrooms and also, without bundling my cable and internet services, my high speed would have gone up also, so it was my local cable provider all the way.