HDMI and Component [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HDMI and Component

Dharris
06-01-2006, 04:03 PM
Hi all - I'm sure this has been asked before.
I just bought my new HDTV LCD. I currently have Charter HD cable and I am using Component to connect the two. The quality is great, but my question is this,
When I move into my new house and am able to get Dish Network, should I connect via HDMI, or is my component connection fine. My A/V does not not have HDMI connections, so I would only be using the HDMI for video and then connecting the audio via another source.

Thanks ahead of time,
Don

HD newbie
06-02-2006, 07:46 AM
I just had a post similar to yours and what I found after switching back and forth from my dish box via HDMI and component was no difference at least none visible to my eyes so I stuck with component from the box and used the HDMI from the DVD player. Maybe do the same and try it out put one on one of the video inputs an dthe other on another vidio input and see if ou notice a difference if so your off to the races :)

superpanavision70mm
06-04-2006, 04:11 PM
One thing that I have noticed when it comes to HDMI and component is this. HDMI seems to offer better definition, but poorer color in comparison. The black levels are all over the place with HDMI and you have to calibrate your set to great extents to get it just right. Why do all that tweaking when the component seems to handle just fine? Good question. Some DVD players, not sure about the case with Dish, but they enable high resolution through component as well as HDMI, while others do not upscale as well, so it sometimes depends on what you are using.

tdst
06-08-2006, 09:17 PM
"My A/V does not not have HDMI connections, so I would only be using the HDMI for video and then connecting the audio via another source."

Dharris- I just hooked up the same way, and so far so good, but not really any better quality picture. :confused5: