VH-1 Rock Honors Last Night [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : VH-1 Rock Honors Last Night

Defshep
06-01-2006, 05:12 AM
Wasn't sure where to put this thread. Did anybody catch the show last night? I thought it was really well done, and all the bands "honored" deserve their place in rock history. I thought Queen + Paul Rodgers gave the best performance. KISS was KISS. Judas Priest sounded great. Def Leppard gave an energetic rendition of 20th Century Boy. However, on Rock of Ages, Joe Elliot's vocals were, just, well, bad. As a huge fan of the band, it was painful to see him struggle to hit ANY notes during the song. Did anybody else notice this? It's been getting worse over the last few years. Maybe it's the years of smoking...

KaiWinters
06-01-2006, 05:25 AM
I watched it and generally enjoyed it. Queen was the best in my opinion as well. Indeed KISS was kiss but not nearly as good as in their "heyday". I was at their first two concerts and was overwhelmed by their stage show. While the show is still basically the same it seems "old hat" to me...no real growth and the makeup seems now more to "cover up" rather than part of the show.

Def Leppard was ok and Judas Priest was better than expected.

I absolutely did not want to listen to Queen at all because of Paul Rodgers. I did not think it would work because there is no voice that can do justice to Freddy Mercury. Well PR did ok but it seems more like a "tribute" band now. Interesting and well done to play "The Show Must Go On". That is fitting to Queen, the band, continuing, but they are "queen" now, to me, rather than "Queen".

Overall it was an ok show. Definately a "breast fest" which was enjoyable. Also like K Sutherlands tribute...pretty cool stuff.

-Jar-
06-01-2006, 08:20 AM
However, on Rock of Ages, Joe Elliot's vocals were, just, well, bad. As a huge fan of the band, it was painful to see him struggle to hit ANY notes during the song. Did anybody else notice this? It's been getting worse over the last few years. Maybe it's the years of smoking...

Mutt Lange did a LOT for Joe Elliot's voice. I mean, listen to the difference between ON THROUGH THE NIGHT and HIGH N' DRY. I'm not saying his voice hasn't gone downhill over the years, I'm sure it has, but I don't think he ever brought it "live" like he did on those Mutt Lange produced records.

What song did Priest play? I missed that part. I would guess either "Another Thing Comin'" or "Livin' After Midnight"

Missed Kiss and Queen too. Oh well. I'm *sure* they will re-run it a million times.

-jar

Davey
06-01-2006, 08:37 AM
Wow, I was surfing and happened along right at the start of the All-American Rejects tribute to Def Leppard and it was really really bad so I moved on. Who are those guys? I'll have to catch it earlier because apparently Foo Fighters did a ripping good version of Tie Your Mother Down, with Brian May. Bet that song was a good fit for Grohl. I've seen a show already with Paul Rogers fronting Queen and can't say I think that much of it one way or the other. Definitely much more interesting in the early Mercury days, but Brian May is still a pretty fun guitarist. Paul Rogers just makes them sound kind of old and inconsequential to me.