Cable confusion [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cable confusion

likeitloud
05-31-2006, 03:55 PM
I'm about ready to set up new gear..with one exception. Progressive scan dvd. I've
read that to get the 480 signal from the dvd player you MUST use a component
video cable. So the s-video cable is not used? And does the component cable handle
the audio? I have a non-hd tv, but it has yellow-white-red jacks, video in etc.

On a different note, what are some decent interconnects, I'm on somewhat of budget
so I can't do super high end stuff, but I don't want to go to cheap either. A friend uses
acoustic research cables, they sound good and were affordable. Thanks in advance.
You guys been a HUGE help so far.:confused5:

N. Abstentia
05-31-2006, 04:43 PM
1) You MUST use the component video connectors as a minimum. Even better would be DVI or HDMI, but if your player or TV does not have those then component is the way to go. S-video cannot handle it. Component video does not handle audio.

2) You MUST use a digital connection for the audio if you want 5.1 sound. Using the analog outputs (red/white plugs) will only get you a downmixed 2 channel signal. The digital cable connects to your A/V reciever so it can decode the digital signal.

No need to get stupid with the cables, expensive cables are just that...expensive cables. They do not offer any better performance. AR cables are great, or the nicer cables from WalMart are just as good.

You mentioned that your TV only has red/white/yellow jacks...are you getting a new TV also? The red/white/yellow will provide you with picture and sound, but that's about it. It's just about the worst looking connection you can use.

musicman1999
05-31-2006, 04:50 PM
You say your tv is non-hd,if so then i don't believe it will display prgressive scan video,even through component.

bill

likeitloud
05-31-2006, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the replys, new tv is later this year, my old box 5.1 sony was shot, I took
care of some new a/v gear first. I get the dvd hook-up, the digtal cable did'nt click at
first, the audio issue with the tv should'nt be an issue, it all goes thru the receiver,
That is correct? I'll go with the ar cables, the packaging is killer, and they seem to
work good for the money. Again tks guys, as set-up finnaly happens this weekend,
i'm sure i'll have more questions.

tdst
05-31-2006, 10:14 PM
N.Absentia:

2) You MUST use a digital connection for the audio if you want 5.1 sound. Using the analog outputs (red/white plugs) will only get you a downmixed 2 channel signal. The digital cable connects to your A/V reciever so it can decode the digital signal.

Is that what they call the "optical " connector? Thanks.

N. Abstentia
06-01-2006, 04:47 AM
N.Absentia:

Is that what they call the "optical " connector? Thanks.

Yep, it's the optical connector. It can also be coax, but if you have optical that's it.

noddin0ff
06-01-2006, 01:14 PM
I'm about ready to set up new gear..with one exception. Progressive scan dvd. I've
read that to get the 480 signal from the dvd player you MUST use a component
video cable. So the s-video cable is not used? And does the component cable handle
the audio? I have a non-hd tv, but it has yellow-white-red jacks, video in etc.

On a different note, what are some decent interconnects, I'm on somewhat of budget
so I can't do super high end stuff, but I don't want to go to cheap either. A friend uses
acoustic research cables, they sound good and were affordable. Thanks in advance.
You guys been a HUGE help so far.:confused5:

likeitloud-- Just to clarify...

What you described as Yellow, Red, and White is COMPOSITE video (yellow) and Right (Red) and Left (White) audio inputs.

COMPONENT video is Red (Pr), Green (Y) and Blue (Pb) inputs --all video, no audio.

S-video is better than Component is better than Composite.

edtyct
06-01-2006, 01:17 PM
No, no. Component is better than S-video, which is better than composite.

noddin0ff
06-01-2006, 01:19 PM
No, no. Component is better than S-video, which is better than composite.

edtyct is correct. I was just about to correct my error but edtyct beat me to it!

likeitloud
06-02-2006, 04:33 AM
Again..as always thanks for the help. I'm like 7 years behind in the a/v thing, I'm
getting there. Setting up my old sony BOX system was a breeze compared to this.
Tuns out the t.v does have component jacks green yellow red, and I got the digital
for audio. I just got the receiver last night..pioneer vsx1015, it looks kinds indimidating,
we'll see how it goes..Again tks

evil__betty
06-04-2006, 09:32 PM
Take it one cable at a time and read the manual. I know, I know, reading the instructions is not the first choice of many, but if you take your time and don't rush, the setup will go a lot easier than you originally though. You'll be fine!

likeitloud
06-05-2006, 02:53 AM
Thanks for the advice. I did go step by step, and it's all good, everything works and
sounds great! Just some fine tuning left. Tks

"As long as my fingers and brain work...I'm cool..Edward Van Halen"

bonsaiguitar
06-14-2006, 11:42 AM
Take it one cable at a time and read the manual. I know, I know, reading the instructions is not the first choice of many, but if you take your time and don't rush, the setup will go a lot easier than you originally though. You'll be fine!

Real men don't read no stinking manuals. ;)