HELP - need audio recommendations for old church [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HELP - need audio recommendations for old church

old church
05-31-2006, 08:11 AM
All - I'm new here but did review as many of the posts as possible before asking this broad question. It's been a long time since I've bought stereo equipment so will greatly appreciate your help for a speaker and receiver combo (audio only) recommendation - as well as source for used gear.

I live in an old, converted (residential) wooden church - meaning that the main floor/listening area is fairly open and fluid (3 primary listening rooms - living, dining and kitchen). The speakers can be floor standing and located in the living room against a wall facing the other areas. The total space is about 1500 sq feet but the main listening area is about 18' wide x 24long' x19' high with hardwood floors (carpets and fabric furniture) and a lot of glass on one wall. The kitchen and dining room are separated by partial walls but very open to this room. Above is tall tin ceiling and catwalk connecting the second floor bedrooms. I should probably add that I could probably get by with a couple of bookshelf speakers instead but they would just face the wrong direction.

I'm looking for a receiver, speaker and cd player recommendation ($1500 max.) to listen primarily to classic rock and classic music over XM radio and CD. I appreciate great sound but am not an audiophile. Because we have a couple toddlers, music volume is moderate although you can appreciate which trend that will take. So quality needs to be solid.

From the main receiver, I would also like to power a pair of (wired) outdoor speakers. Beyond that, I have no other requirements. Easy, right?

Thanks in advance for your pointers.

old church
05-31-2006, 09:08 AM
Let me clarify:

1. With respect to bookshelf speakers, I really meant speakers that would sit IN bookshelves and would be surrounded on three sides and face a wall of glass. The thought didn't initially occur to me that I could place them on stands facing the correct direction.

2. The floormount speakers (or bookshelves on stands) would have to be within inches of the back wall. However, this direction is the best.

3. Aesthetics matter.

4. I work from home and listen to low-volume classical 6-hours per day, classic rock thereafter. While not an audiophile of the caliber of this forum, quality does matter!

JohnMichael
05-31-2006, 10:06 AM
Welcome to AudioReview. Sounds like you have a big space to fill and I know many members will give you good advice. My advice for floor standing speakers that will fit your budget and efficient enough for good sound in your space would be the Athena Technologies F2.2 speaker available from www.audioadvisor.com. They cost $399.95 a pair. I also like the Cambridge Audio integrated amps. I own the Azur 640A and have been very pleased with it's sound. Of course you can add a CA cd player or I have found the Marantz CD5001 a very good player for the price. A basic system for two channel listening that should provide dependable service.

As far as used check out the AR classifieds and also www.audiogon.com.

old church
05-31-2006, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the tip, JohnMichael.

The Athena's look like quite a price performer. I guess I was expecting to pay closer to $1k+ for he speakers alone.

As an aside, aesthetically, I like the look of the Magneplanar as it fits better with our decor but I can't keep them 3-4 feet off the wall.

markw
05-31-2006, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the tip, JohnMichael.

The Athena's look like quite a price performer. I guess I was expecting to pay closer to $1k+ for he speakers alone.

As an aside, aesthetically, I like the look of the Magneplanar as it fits better with our decor but I can't keep them 3-4 feet off the wall. A pair of their biguns (1.6 or larger) would be purrrfect in that area. ...a bit more $$ than you specified but consider, that's a LOT of square footage to fill with sound.

FWIW, I have both speakers brands mentioned and that's a LOT of area for the Athena's to fill.

JohnMichael
05-31-2006, 12:54 PM
A pair of their biguns (1.6 or larger) would be purrrfect in that area. ...a bit more $$ than you specified but consider, that's a LOT of square footage to fill with sound.

FWIW, I have both speakers brands mentioned and that's a LOT of area for the Athena's to fill.

Mark I have only heard the F2.2 one time but I thought it's dual 8 inch woofers and its 93 db sensitivity might have worked. I remember it filling a large space. I agree Maggies would be nicer but that would kick up the budget.

JoeE SP9
05-31-2006, 03:27 PM
The best place to buy used audio gear is audiogon. The main space you want to have music in is larger than most. Yuo will need either very efficient speakers or lots of power maybe both. If you are thinking of bookshelf speakers you will probably need a subwoofer or two. The area you have described sounds like a very live area. Speakers and electronics that have a boosted or harsh top end may be uncomfortable to listen to.
The good thing about Maggies is that when you are not listening to them they are easy to move. Once out of the way they are very unobtrusive.
Some NHT 3.3's might be just what you're looking for. They are out of your price range unless you get them used. They would not need a subwoofer.:idea:

old church
05-31-2006, 03:38 PM
Mark and JohnMichael - thanks again. Here's a final factor to consider. We spend 90% of our time walking through and standing in the space decribed versus sitting.

Am I correct that the maggies are awesome at ear level but lose their projection quality as the height of the ear increases vis-a-vis the the speaker? Ideally, I want to fill this space evenly, fully, albeit at lower volumes. I'm resigned to the sound quality being compromised when we're walking on the catwalk 10' above the speakers.

If the 1.6+ maggies are the 'best fit' for this space, does it make sense to spend the money on the speakers NOW and upgrade the electronics over time instead of the other way around or to compromise on everything? Is there a better speaker 'fit' for this application in the same price range?

JoeE SP9
05-31-2006, 04:53 PM
It is quite easy to tilt maggy's back and increase the vertical dispersion.