Which digital audio standard??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Which digital audio standard???

Feanor
05-31-2006, 07:29 AM
I'm wondering about the multichannel digital inputs & outputs on AV receivers, etc.. Generally the specifications for these units specify only "digital coaxial" or "digital optical".

As I understand it, stereo, (viz. 2 ch), CD players, etc., use a standard called "S/PDIF", (Sony/Philips Digital InterFace), that applies to be coaxial and optical. Is it this standard or some other that handles the 5.1 multichannel digital connects? :confused:

Sir Terrence the Terrible
05-31-2006, 07:40 AM
I'm wondering about the multichannel digital inputs & outputs on AV receivers, etc.. Generally the specifications for these units specify only "digital coaxial" or "digital optical".

As I understand it, stereo, (viz. 2 ch), CD players, etc., use a standard called "S/PDIF", (Sony/Philips Digital InterFace), that applies to be coaxial and optical. Is it this standard or some other that handles the 5.1 multichannel digital connects? :confused:

It depends on which 5.1 formats your are speaking of. The core data streams of Dolby digital and Dts come out of the coaxial outputs of a DVD.

The newer high resolution 5.1 Dolby Digital+, 7.1 True HD, 5.1 Dts++, and 7.1 Dts HD can only be outputted through a HDMI connection because of the higher bandwidth required for these new formats. This is also the case for SACD and DVD-A.