Well Tempered Record Player TT [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Well Tempered Record Player TT

Hump
05-30-2006, 04:24 PM
I need some help setting-up table. Iam new to this site. Can't get any reply from Stanalog.I don't know what type of belt. Is it to be talced or not? Should I use a belt dressing spray? How do I know if there is enough fluid in damping trough? This is my first table of this type. It looks very interesting. My other tables are; Mission, VPI and of course everybodies standard Linn LP12 with Itock. Any help I could get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Bob

dean_martin
05-30-2006, 06:31 PM
I need some help setting-up table. Iam new to this site. Can't get any reply from Stanalog.I don't know what type of belt. Is it to be talced or not? Should I use a belt dressing spray? How do I know if there is enough fluid in damping trough? This is my first table of this type. It looks very interesting. My other tables are; Mission, VPI and of course everybodies standard Linn LP12 with Itock. Any help I could get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Bob

Sorry, can't help you, but you MUST post pics of that table!

JoeE SP9
05-30-2006, 07:37 PM
You might want to try the Stereophile archives. They did several tests and reviews and an interview with the designer. I think his name was William Firebaugh. I'll check my copies and see if I can find any information.:cool:

Hump
05-31-2006, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I will check the Stereophile Site tonight. I don't have a Digital Camera or facilities to post pictures. In fact, my computer is quit old and I only use it on certain occasions. Thanks again Bob

Hump
05-31-2006, 02:31 PM
PS to JoeE SP9 ; I also had a ARC SP9MKII very nice piece good phono section. I still have my Accuphase T 101 Tuner, haven't used it in years. I had a set of Acoustat Speakers years ago when they first came out. I think they were the Is. I didn't care for the down firing woofer confiruation, traded in on a set of the BIG Infinitys, don't remember the model no, but they had a row of 4 or 6 EMET Drivers, I had them BIwired, not bad. Sounds like you have a nice system.

Woochifer
05-31-2006, 02:45 PM
Ah yes! The Well Tempered TT ... some of my best vinyl listenings ever came from those beauties!

Have you tried simply ordering the damping fluid and belt from Stanalog (Well Tempered's distributor)?

http://www.welltemperedlab.com

Otherwise, you could contact someone that specializes in turntable accessories, such as The Needle Doctor or LP Gear, and ask them about the belt and damping fluid. I know that replacement belts should be easy to get (though probably not as well made as the ones from Well Tempered), but information about that silicone damping fluid might be trickier to get some anyone other than Well Tempered.

http://www.needledoctor.com
http://www.lpgear.com

Hump
05-31-2006, 03:11 PM
ThanksWoochifer, but my MAIN PROBLEM is I have been chasing George Stanwickof Stanalog for over a month now by email and phone with absolutely NO reply. Right now I would not order anything from him, don't even know if he is real. I have asked him on several emails "Won't you please answer me'. If I could get answers from him I would not be here!!! Sorry, but I just had to vent. Nothing personal or about this site. This is just kind of a last resort. I ALWAYS prefer to deal with OEMs, but in this case it seems hopeless. Thanks anyway, Bob

dean_martin
05-31-2006, 08:08 PM
ThanksWoochifer, but my MAIN PROBLEM is I have been chasing George Stanwickof Stanalog for over a month now by email and phone with absolutely NO reply. Right now I would not order anything from him, don't even know if he is real. I have asked him on several emails "Won't you please answer me'. If I could get answers from him I would not be here!!! Sorry, but I just had to vent. Nothing personal or about this site. This is just kind of a last resort. I ALWAYS prefer to deal with OEMs, but in this case it seems hopeless. Thanks anyway, Bob

Bob, you should stick around. Also, you might try the vinyl board at www.audioasylum.com. There's a FAQ section on turntable setup and cartridge alignment that might help.

Isn't Stanalog the North American distributor for Sugden too? I was considering their Headmaster but I'll keep their non-responsiveness in mind.

Hump
06-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the suggestion! I will try audioasylum.
Yes, Stanalog is importer for van den Hul Cartridges and Sugden Electronics.
I can not understand the reason for the lack of reply. Very unprofessional.

Hump
06-02-2006, 01:51 PM
JoeE SP9 I checked Stereophile Site and no articals available on WTRP TT. I did check their Master Article Index and one of them I had in my collection, but all it covered was upgrades to be done. For your info. they are; XIV-7, XVI-10, XI-3, XVI-4 and XVI-4. I just send Tonearm to be rewired and upgrade RCAs. I hope I can pull this off, because it sounds like a good table from the reading I have done.

JoeE SP9
06-03-2006, 06:18 PM
PS to JoeE SP9 ; I also had a ARC SP9MKII very nice piece good phono section. I still have my Accuphase T 101 Tuner, haven't used it in years. I had a set of Acoustat Speakers years ago when they first came out. I think they were the Is. I didn't care for the down firing woofer confiruation, traded in on a set of the BIG Infinitys, don't remember the model no, but they had a row of 4 or 6 EMET Drivers, I had them BIwired, not bad. Sounds like you have a nice system.
Thanks. I am quite happy with my rig. I am looking for a pair of 2+2's. I want to run ESL sound from top to bottom. The 2+2's should not need a subwoofer. I may have to look into more power althought the Model 3's I once owned were quite happy and loud enough on 100WPC or so. The room I had then was approximately the same volume as my current room so my current wattage may be sufficient. I may sell both Haflers and get something else. I'm not sure what but some ARC tubes to go with my preamp would be nice.:cool:

E-Stat
06-05-2006, 03:34 PM
Thanks. I am quite happy with my rig. I am looking for a pair of 2+2's. I want to run ESL sound from top to bottom. The 2+2's should not need a subwoofer. I may have to look into more power althought the Model 3's I once owned were quite happy and loud enough on 100WPC or so.
You really need to hear some Sound Labs stats. I used various Acoustats (Original model X, Monitor 4, 2+2 OFC Red Medallions) for nearly thirty years. I used them with Threshold Stasis 3, Audio Research VT-100 MKII and VTL MB-450 amps. While I thoroughly enjoyed them over the years, there is a decided tonal personality to Acoustats. They really do not do first octave bass and are several shades away from neutral.

While the list price of the A1, M1 and U1 (I have a pair of these) Sound Lab models is seemingly astronomical, they can be had used for far less. I bought mine used, but they were completely refurbished at the factory with new cores and backplates for about 2/3s the cost of a new pair. Unfortunately, they are not particularly efficient and do require some power. My 350 watt VTL monoblocks do well with them, but 3db more would be better still.

My wife summed up their overall sound quite nicely. They are not there. I recently met Dr. West and heard the new Majestics in Chicago. The man has a true passion for music and continually seeks better ways to improve his product.

rw

JoeE SP9
06-05-2006, 04:48 PM
Thanks E-Stat, I have heard some Sound Labs. I was very very impressed. The smaller models leave me with the same weak bass problem I'm working around. The larger models are just too wide for my current room. I will keep on searching. Maybe I'll end up with a pair of them anyway. I might have to buy the house next door and knock down the brick dividing wall. I have already knocked down the wall between my living and dining room to make my listening room friendlier to my speakers. I live alone and don't have a significant other to please.:cool:

JoeE SP9
06-05-2006, 04:52 PM
Hump, have you had any luck with setting up that Well Tempered TT?:cool:

Hump
06-05-2006, 06:44 PM
Thanks for asking JoeE SP9. Tone arm is out being rewired with Cardas Wire and Cardas RCAs. I still have no answers and am VERY frustrated wth the whole thing with Stanalog. I have found another source for a Drine Belt, but it is a replacement not OEM. I guess it will have to do.I have all the necessary tools to set it up, I was just trying to find out if there is any special little things I needed to know as I have never set- up a table like this before. I will keep you posted on the progress. Thanks again for asking. Bob