Dirty South Hip Hop Blues [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dirty South Hip Hop Blues

Jim Clark
01-29-2004, 06:50 AM
The title of the 2002 release by Chris Thomas King. Seems fairly talented playing all of the instruments and doing all the vocals. That's Organ, Guitar (Acoustic), Bass, Dobro, Harmonica, Piano, Drums, Guitar (Bass), Guitar (Electric), Keyboards, Vocals, Vocals (bckgr), Producer, Engineer, Rap, Guitar (Classical), Fender Rhodes, Drum Programming, Mixing, String Programming, Orchestra Production. Someone else took the picture for the artwork. What a slacker.

22 tracks on this sucker, filling it up with his blending of blues, electronic music, and rap. I have to admit that I like it quite a bit-in spots. It works best when he follows his mission statement of melding the blues with modern music but a few times the music is either too light on the blues or bypasses it completely. If you have "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" you have a track of his (plus he was in the movie). I don't have it so I don't know if it's similar to this project or not but I know that was a big seller so someone here probably has it, I'm guessing Tug, maybe Chip?

Anyway Blues aren't my thing and rap certainly wouldn't qualify either but this is so different and so very cool in spots that it's comp worthy. Maybe I'll mix some of these tracks in with the latest George Thorogood, and Lynryd Skynryd and well I don't know, I'll think of something.

jc

Chip_B
01-29-2004, 05:22 PM
I have to admit that I like it quite a bit-in spots.

Blues aren't my thing and rap certainly wouldn't qualify either but this is so different and so very cool in spots that it's comp worthy. Maybe I'll mix some of these tracks in with the latest George Thorogood, and Lynryd Skynryd and well I don't know, I'll think of something.

jc
Spock...that's....<i>amazing</i>!

I have the 'O Brother' DVD, but not the soundtrack and I haven't heard the new one you mention. I'll have to check it out. His utterly spooky--and dead-on--portrayal of Blind Willie Johnson in Scorcese's Blues series really nailed me to the wall. He's a very talented and versatile guy.

Thanks for the heads up.

-Chip