Calling Appleseed Cast PEREGRINE owners.. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Calling Appleseed Cast PEREGRINE owners..

Stone
05-30-2006, 12:47 PM
Hi Jar and Davey. How you guys doing?

Man, this place is slow today, no? (I mean even slower than the snail's pace it's usually at).

So should I be adding this Appleseed Cast album to my wish list?

Davey
05-30-2006, 04:19 PM
Hi Jar and Davey. How you guys doing?

Man, this place is slow today, no? (I mean even slower than the snail's pace it's usually at).

So should I be adding this Appleseed Cast album to my wish list?
Showboat. Had to create your own thread, eh? Too good for Jar and me?

Hey, it's kinda proggy, ya know? You caught my comments on it before, no? If not (and especially note the warning signs in red :)) ... The Appleseed Cast may be Jimbo's favorite hometown band, but hopefully that doesn't tarnish their reputation too much. However, a prog-punk allegory of a hunter and a falcon, in this case taking the form of a family separated, a daughter’s ghost, a once loving father racked with guilt, brutality manifesting like a shell around him, a son fighting against his enmity, and the avenging angel, the daughter, Peregrine...yeah, me too, sounds godawful pretentious at best. Top it off with packaging that looks like a book by a medieval scholar, and a silly slip cover strip calling them America's answer to Radiohead, and things are looking pretty grim in the heartland. But yikes, I really like it! I know it sounds like I just described any of a stack of Euro-prog albums, but the music leans more toward indie post-rock, fueled by distorted guitars and epic drumming, and fortunately with only a smattering of those dreaded three letters, e-m-o.

-Jar-
05-31-2006, 04:45 AM
I think you'd like it Stone-man. There's some "nu-folk" sounds on there that pretty much didn't exist in their earlier material. Probably has something to do with the Old Canes thing bleeding into the AC stuff, but that's ok. Makes it kind of grounded and adds some needed dimension to their work. They've also got some heavy processing going on in a few spots (gating on the drums, overdriven vocals, etc), the effects generally work well and aren't overdone. They still have the sweeping emoish choruses which kind of defines them, so they really wouldn't be Appleseed Cast without them, would they? I don't know what the hell to call them... Post-Emo? not like the world needs more categories..

The term "Post-emo" was actually penned by a Cleveland, Ohio music geek to describe the Appleseed Cast's lastest release PEREGRINE. Somehow though the internet, the term caught on and came to be applied to a variety of experimental, former "emo" bands that grew tired of their whiny ways and started focusing more on breaking free of any stylistic contraints their genre might have imposed upon them..

Actually, while AC doesn't *sound* like Radiohead, their evolutionary track is similar.. PEREGRINE would be their KID A, so to speak..

-Jar-
05-31-2006, 04:59 AM
oh well..

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=post-emo

Music that developed from the emo music scene of the 1990's. Post-emo bands usually have emo-remeniscent lyrics, but contain broader rythems and harmonies.

Cursive is a Post-emo band.

hmm, I still think Appleseed Cast fits..

-jar

Jim Clark
05-31-2006, 05:42 AM
Wow, 2 AC threads. Who'd of thunk it. Why wouldn't you get it, don't you already have just about everything else or has your collection slowed down?

I personally really enjoy it and think you would to.

Jar, can't find my lyric book but it's got to be around somewhere. I do recall not being able to read it. My 41 year old eyes aren't what they used to be. I think lyrics remain the most convincing arugument for vinyl.

jc

Stone
05-31-2006, 06:27 AM
Showboat. Had to create your own thread, eh? Too good for Jar and me?

Well, yeah of course I am . . . and yeah . . . and yeah. I thought maybe we could go crazy on this board and start three threads in one day (and I had nothing original to post).

I think you'd like it Stone-man. There's some "nu-folk" sounds on there that pretty much didn't exist in their earlier material. Probably has something to do with the Old Canes thing bleeding into the AC stuff, but that's ok. Makes it kind of grounded and adds some needed dimension to their work. They've also got some heavy processing going on in a few spots (gating on the drums, overdriven vocals, etc), the effects generally work well and aren't overdone. They still have the sweeping emoish choruses which kind of defines them, so they really wouldn't be Appleseed Cast without them, would they? I don't know what the hell to call them... Post-Emo? not like the world needs more categories..

The term "Post-emo" was actually penned by a Cleveland, Ohio music geek to describe the Appleseed Cast's lastest release PEREGRINE. Somehow though the internet, the term caught on and came to be applied to a variety of experimental, former "emo" bands that grew tired of their whiny ways and started focusing more on breaking free of any stylistic contraints their genre might have imposed upon them..

Actually, while AC doesn't *sound* like Radiohead, their evolutionary track is similar.. PEREGRINE would be their KID A, so to speak..

Thanks for the info. Sounds like something I should get. Oh, and "post-emo" sounds like it does fit. But it seems like there's a "post" just about everything these days.

Why wouldn't you get it, don't you already have just about everything else or has your collection slowed down?

I personally really enjoy it and think you would to.

Thanks for the input. I have slowed down considerably lately. We needed to slow down on the spending, and the music buying was one of the first things to get cut (which is fine, actually - some of the stuff that never got much attention I'm going back to). But I do have some CDs and LPs to sell/trade, so I am going to get a few things soon. My wish list is growing, though, and at the top of it is the Beirut release, and now this AC album will go on it too.

Davey
05-31-2006, 06:31 AM
There's some "nu-folk" sounds on there that pretty much didn't exist in their earlier material. Probably has something to do with the Old Canes thing bleeding into the AC stuff, but that's ok. Makes it kind of grounded and adds some needed dimension to their work. They've also got some heavy processing going on in a few spots (gating on the drums, overdriven vocals, etc), the effects generally work well and aren't overdone. They still have the sweeping emoish choruses which kind of defines them, so they really wouldn't be Appleseed Cast without them, would they?
Yeah, definitely agree with this. Also I hear a lot more Cure influence on this one. But some of the songs like "Woodland Hunter" do really explode nicely, and then it's followed by something that wouldn't have sounded out of place on that great Old Canes album. Still don't know how much Stone would like it, but I do think it's one of those albums that could potentially appeal to many types of listeners who aren't too turned off by some of the more modern production techniques, including the signal processing that does tend to run throughout on this one, kind of like on all those Flaming Lips type of albums.