biamp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : biamp

osvijazz
05-30-2006, 06:52 AM
Hi, I'm new here. This may be an already answered question but I haven't find the answer yet. I've read elsewhere that some 7.1 A/V receivers let you biamp your main speakers. Can this be done on any 7.1 receiver or just those with this feature?. Also, is there a noticeble change (better sound) or is it barely noticeble? Thanks for your help on this. It would be nice if you could also list those A/V receivers that have this feature.

Thanks!!!
Osvaldo

N. Abstentia
05-30-2006, 08:23 AM
As long as it has seperate channels of amplification which are seperated by an electronic crossover then it would be possible. I don't know of any receiver that does this, but it would be pretty cool.

But on the other hand..you'd still be using a receiver which would kind of be pointless in trying to gain quality by bi-amping. Once you get to that level (adding seperate amps and crossovers) it's time to move to a dedicated pre/pro which would be a pretty major overall upgrade from a receiver.

Resident Loser
05-30-2006, 08:58 AM
Hi, I'm new here. This may be an already answered question but I haven't find the answer yet. I've read elsewhere that some 7.1 A/V receivers let you biamp your main speakers. Can this be done on any 7.1 receiver or just those with this feature?. Also, is there a noticeble change (better sound) or is it barely noticeble? Thanks for your help on this. It would be nice if you could also list those A/V receivers that have this feature.

Thanks!!!
Osvaldo

...a number of receivers that have "pre-out" connectors that will allow you to feed outboard amplifiers fo L/R/C signals...unfortunately they have no corresponding "power-in" jacks...so at least four separate mono or two stereo outboard amps would be required...and that's just for left and right. Add two more for the center.

True biamping, the preferred method, requires the signal to be sent from the pre-amp stage to an electronic crossover where it is separated into two separate feeds per channel, one for the high frequencies and one to the low frequencies...each must then be sent to a dedicated amplifier and on to the loudspeakers (bi-wirable ones will help) whose internal passive crossovers must be disabled. You will need to know approximately the crossover freqs for the drivers contained in your loudspeakers and then set the electronic crossover for this ballpark figure and tweak-around for the most satisfying meld of spec and volume levels...An SPL meter will come in handy...

Of course, there is also what some in the audiopile community have come to calling biamping...although it really isn't in the traditional sense as previously described.

You need bi-wireable loudspeakers for a start...you feed the one set of drivers (high or low, your call) with the recievers' internal amplifiers and the the other set (high or low, your call again) from the outboard amps whose input comes from those "pre-out" jacks I mentioned earlier. The loudspeakers internal crossovers are left unmolested and you will need either a stereo amp (for L/R], a stereo unit and a mono unit (for L/R/C}, or three mono units (again for L/R/C)...

jimHJJ(...and this is all for HT tee-vee?...)

GMichael
05-30-2006, 09:15 AM

Thanks!!!
Osvaldo

Welcome to AR.

Some receivers do let you do this. What model & make do you have?

Interesting question. This has been batted around a bit. Many engineer types will tell you that it won't make much difference. I guess the numbers don't support it. Many others will say that they do it and it makes a huge difference. Best thing is to try it yourself and let your ears tell you what is the truth for you. Forget what others say.

osvijazz
06-01-2006, 07:24 AM
Thanks a lot guys...I think I should stick to the regular connection type!!!

osvaldo