Alright time to choose between two TT's... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Alright time to choose between two TT's...

dav305z
05-29-2006, 05:27 PM
In one corner we've got a Technics SL-220. It's a belt driven with an S-shaped tonearm. I just replaced the belt.

In the other corner, we have a Marantz 6170. Direct driven, found in my uncle's attic. When I plugged it in, it got right up to speed, at least according to the strobe on the thing. I don't know anything else about it.

Whichever one I use will be fitted with the Grado Black I just ordered. Anyone know anything about either one so much as to make any recommendations?

Thanks.

Bernd
05-30-2006, 07:21 AM
Hi,
I don't know the Technics deck you have. However I do know the Marantz.
It's from around 1979 and pretty rare these days. It will most likely have a sweet and clean sound and should match your Grado well.
I would go for the Marantz on rarity value alone.
Hope this is helpfull.
Edit: Just done a little research and found 7 Technics from a guy in France selling for 8.50 Euros each. So I think definitely the Marantz.

Peace

Bernd:16:

trollgirl
06-02-2006, 06:27 PM
...no question.

Laz

dav305z
06-08-2006, 08:43 PM
I have a bit of an issue that's nagging both turntables. Each table I've tried has exhibited problems with speed instability. What could be the cause?

BRANDONH
06-09-2006, 11:46 AM
I have a bit of an issue that's nagging both turntables. Each table I've tried has exhibited problems with speed instability. What could be the cause?

SPINDLE BEARING OIL
SFW0 010
http://www.kabusa.com/accesss.htm#pg2a

JoeE SP9
06-09-2006, 04:14 PM
Since you have both tables why not give both a try. This is a perfect opportunity to find out for yourself if there is a difference in the sound between DD and Belt Drive TT's. The speed control on the Marantz is probably the reason it has erratic speed. It is just a variable resistor. They can get dirty over time. Rotate it vigorously several times. If it is the culprit you'll know right away. It wouldn't hurt to spray the pot with contact cleaner anyway.:cool: