great value speaker stands.. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : great value speaker stands..

bubbagump
05-29-2006, 02:34 PM
Definitely worth a look if you're in the market for a pair of speaker stands.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=240-744

I wouldn't normally post a purchase I made but these are an exceptionally good value. Heavy gauge steel, sand/shot fillable, more than stable with my 28 pound speakers blu-tac'd in place and built like a tank. The fit and finish is more impressive in person. They come with spikes for the base and for the speaker platform but can be used without. At a little over 100 bucks with free shipping, I haven't found anything comparable for twice or more the price.

audio_dude
05-29-2006, 02:44 PM
why would I buy these again?

cause I can get a simmilar pair from my local audio store for $60 plus tax, thats a much better deal than those, usually PartsExpress is good, but that is just a bad deal, plus, it's in american pricing, thats like $120 up here...way to pricy

audio_dude
05-29-2006, 05:06 PM
thats was a little harsh, sorry, but well, in canada only, those would not be a good deal cause it would cost like $200 american to actually get them ,lol

Woochifer
05-29-2006, 05:12 PM
why would I buy these again?

cause I can get a simmilar pair from my local audio store for $60 plus tax, thats a much better deal than those, usually PartsExpress is good, but that is just a bad deal, plus, it's in american pricing, thats like $120 up here...way to pricy

In my experience, stands that sell for ~$60 are typically built out of lightweight materials and not especially stable. Cheaper stands might also have load limitations that preclude you from using them with heavier speakers. Heavier stands will help lower the center of gravity, provide a more stable platform, and allow you to use them with heavier speakers. Heavy stands use more material and have higher shipping costs, hence they typically cost more.

The Sound Anchor stands that I use for my surround speakers cost me $350, but that's because I found few alternatives that met my needs -- i.e. tall height (45") and able to stabilize a 28 lb. speaker. These stands are prefilled, weigh 65 lbs each, and are shipped in a single prewelded unit rather than flat-packed for user assembly. All of those steps add costs to the stands. If I didn't need the load capacity or height of these stands, then I could have gone with less expensive alternatives.

kexodusc
05-30-2006, 04:40 AM
Those are good stands for the money, not the prettiest, but the price is certainly right.

I haven't seen a $60 cdn stand that I'd feel confident placing a 20 lb speaker on yet, but I'd love to be pointed in the right direction.

audio_dude
05-30-2006, 02:29 PM
I will try to find 'em again kex!

i think it might have been a sale, but they were very solid indeed!
the store had them filled with sand, an I think the speaker on top was pretty big, but these stands were might solid...and for 60 bucks, w0oT lol, too bad I didn't pick up a pair when I had the chance

kexodusc
05-30-2006, 02:39 PM
Not for myself, I build my own out of 1" MDF...heavy and very hard on the toes when you bump into them. Easy to match my speakers front shape and finish. You can do 2 or 3 pairs for $30 or so plus stain and varnish.