Equalizer Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Equalizer Question

likeitloud
05-28-2006, 10:49 PM
:idea: I have a pioneer graphic equalizer with spectrum analyzer that is from 1990, which
means it's analog, Is it possible to use it so the digital signal out, won't be affected?
I'll be using a pioneer vsx1015-s, I don't have the receiver yet, but there are amp jacks.
Tks in advance.

N. Abstentia
05-29-2006, 04:09 AM
Are you wanting to use it just for the spectrum analyzer, or do you actually want to EQ with it?

If you just want to see the lights, you could hook it up either to the preamp outputs from your receiver or to the analog outputs of the DVD player. Hopefully it monitors the input and not the output.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
05-29-2006, 04:25 AM
:idea: I have a pioneer graphic equalizer with spectrum analyzer that is from 1990, which
means it's analog, Is it possible to use it so the digital signal out, won't be affected?
I'll be using a pioneer vsx1015-s, I don't have the receiver yet, but there are amp jacks.
Tks in advance.

It is possible to use the EQ, but I wouldn't put it in my system. The Pioneer EQ is a rebadge EQ by BSR. This EQ is known for using cheap parts that are noisy, and has one octave sliders which will do you no good in most cases.

The absolute minimum EQ resolution you need is 1/3 octave resolution. Otherwise you are just using crude noisy tone controls.

likeitloud
05-29-2006, 06:01 AM
Thanks for all the info, I thought the pre-amp hook-up would be the way to go. On the
old kenwood I have, it used to audio out, between the receiver and tape deck(teac).
All thats in storage, I thought it might be handy for the pioneer vsx1015 I just bought,
due to it's (only) having a five band eq. My tape recording days are over, so I'll take Sir
Terrance advice and park it(the noise issue is a big problem).:)