Sub volume [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sub volume

shokhead
05-27-2006, 12:09 PM
Any difference between turning up the sub volume from the receiver or turning up the gain/volume on the sub itself?

cam
05-27-2006, 12:37 PM
Any difference between turning up the sub volume from the receiver or turning up the gain/volume on the sub itself?No. I couldn't just submit no because it said I had to add more words.

kexodusc
05-27-2006, 01:16 PM
Not really...unless you have reason to believe the gain stage of the sub's amplifier is worse than your receiver's gain stage.
I usually add a few clicks at the receiver level and then compensate by lowering the sub's amp level for no other reason than to ensure the "auto-on" features senses the voltage. Sometimes it takes a certain minimum amount of voltage for the amp to know to turn on...if the signal from the receiver is too weak, it might stay off at lower volumes...but that's splitting hairs.

shokhead
05-27-2006, 01:39 PM
Happens to me,had to put the gain at around 11o'clock for the auto-on to work.

audio amateur
05-27-2006, 02:07 PM
No. I couldn't just submit no because it said I had to add more words.

Most of the time you guys' posts make me burst out laughing:)

shokhead
05-27-2006, 03:10 PM
Why??????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????

audio amateur
05-30-2006, 08:12 AM
Why? haha you're kidding me ain't ya? Cam could have just replied "no, changing the gain on the receiver or sub amp is the same thing", instead of talking about the minimun word restriction. Anyway that was just an anecdote:smilewinkgrin: . Nothing of real importance, just thought it was comic.

mikej707
05-30-2006, 03:25 PM
Hi first time writting. My home setup concist of a Pioneer SVX-D912 6-1 reciever, RTi12 front speakers CIi5 center channel and Bose 301 side and back. I just bought a new Sony SA-WX700 250 watt duel 10" powered subwoofer and i also have a bigger Sony SA-WM500 12" 200 watt foward firing sub. Ok now you have an idea as to what i have my question is where do i set the sub settings the freqs. go from 20-200 hz and there is a sound level on each. I first set them both at the 200 mark and the room sounded good but when i called Sony he suggested for lower vibs i should set them at around 50 hz. Can anyone give me a better idea as to what the settings are really doing ? I want the room to shake when i play a action DVD. hope you guys can help
Mike

audio amateur
05-31-2006, 05:44 AM
Hi mike, welcome to AR.
Your RTi12 Polks are said to go as low as 30Hz. Basicaly, because these speakers can play quite low, I would suggest you set the crossover to about 50-60Hz. The sub will only then play frequencies below that point, and the lower the frequency you set the subwoofer crossover at, the less you'll be likely to tell that sound is coming from the sub. You don't want to be able to hear from where the sub is playing. That is why if you do this, you can place the sub anywhere around the room. If you set it @ 200Hz, the mid bass will be stronger, considering you set the subwoofer volume a little higher than the receiver volume.
However, you will be able to locate the sub, the sound "imaging" won't be as good, and above all, what you probably really want anyway, are loud frequencies below 60Hz if ya want to skake the room. Therefore I suggest you said it to about 60Hz as suggested before. You can mess with it though and youll surely hear a difference.
On to top of this, you will want to set your the RTi12's to "large" setting on the receiver.
I hope you are getting a grasp of all of this. If not just send me a personal message (PM) if you have more enquiries.