Recommendations on HT Receiver for B&W 300 Series.. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on HT Receiver for B&W 300 Series..

RH Customs
05-26-2006, 06:53 PM
I currently own a pair of B&W DM 303's and a ASW 300 sub. I'm currently running a Yamaha RX-V530 and I'm looking to upgrade within the next 3 months. What would be a fairly good HT Receiver that also is very good for stereo power. I will primarily be listening to stereo and SACD music along with movies. Also B&W recommends a high current amp. As for budget I'd like to stay somewhere around $600.

Thanks
RH

krell3250
05-26-2006, 08:25 PM
rh it sounds like your ready to jump up to higher quality. my recommendation to you is to by a lexicon. the older models r great. you will not be dissapointed. i beleive you can get away with this budget. look at the dc-1 or mc-1. the only problem is you will need to buy a amp. talk to a local dealer. i see them for sale every now and then on e-bay. you will now be what they call seperates. once you are running your system on seperates you will thank me. you will neve go back

IRAWB
05-26-2006, 11:19 PM
Keep the Yamaha for cinema and buy a good stereo integrated - I doubt very much you'll be imppressed by home theatre att the price you want to pay, playing music.

A good wee integrated stereo amp will do wonders however.

RH Customs
05-27-2006, 06:46 AM
I think I would like to get a HT Receiver that can do at least 100 watts at 8 ohms. Also $600 is my maximum for my budget.

Thanks
RH

paul_pci
05-27-2006, 10:06 AM
While you'll come across differences of opinion, those B&Ws are efficient enough to work properly from an A/V receiver in your budget, such as a Yamaha, for instance. Any differences realized from a higher end integrated, for instance, which would be outside your budget perhaps would probably not justify the extra cost. I have a Yamaha RX-V3300 with 601s and have endlessly contemplated getting a two channel amp (something like Rotel), but I fear the improvement would not justify the cost, especially given my income level. You could get a Combridge Azur 640A v2 integrated within your budget and music will most likely sound better than a Yamaha receiver, but then you sacrafice the HT. We all do what we can within your budgets and my opinion is that a Yamaha receiver around $6-700 will serve you and your speakers well and you can always save, if you must, for a 2-channel amp in the future.

RH Customs
05-27-2006, 11:32 AM
Would upgrading from a RX-V530 to a RX-V 559 be a good choice? Reason being the fall below my max budget?

Thanks
RH

NickWH
05-27-2006, 12:02 PM
If you want to make your upgrade worthwhile you should "revise" your budget.

Cambridge Audio Azur 540R
http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=106&Title=Azur%20540R%20(Version%202)%20–%206.1%20AV%2 0Receiver

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=CAMB540V2RB&product_name=540R%20v2%2E0%20A/V%20Receiver

Rotel RSDX-02
http://www.rotel.com/products/specs/rsdx02.htm

Review:
http://www.theperfectvision.com/newsletter/tpv53/rotel_bw.html

I would also look for used Rotel HT receivers on Audiogon.com:
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?miscrcvr&1152961272

paul_pci
05-27-2006, 03:26 PM
Would upgrading from a RX-V530 to a RX-V 559 be a good choice? Reason being the fall below my max budget?

Thanks
RH

What year is the 530? Typically, the only reason to make a lateral move like that would be if the existing receiver is sufficiently obsolete, in that its current replacement model offers sufficient advantages and upgrades in fuctionality and features to warrant dropping the money.

RH Customs
05-27-2006, 04:14 PM
The RX-V 530 is from 2003. The sound is great, but was looking for something with a bit more power.

Thanks
RH

N. Abstentia
05-27-2006, 06:17 PM
I think I would like to get a HT Receiver that can do at least 100 watts at 8 ohms. Also $600 is my maximum for my budget.

Thanks
RH

Be careful of limiting yourself just on a power rating. You don't need as much power as you think, and lots of receivers in your price range use inflated power ratings. I doubt you'll find one that will realistically deliver 100 clean watts per channel, but as I said before you don't need that much. Most of the time you'll be using maybe 10 watts per channel and maybe up to 30..but you'll be in danger of hearing damage at that level.

I'm just trying to drive home the point that that 100 watts per channel should not be the only spec you look at.

RH Customs
05-27-2006, 06:37 PM
That is very true. The main reason I'd like to get another HT Receiver is, B&W recommends using a high current amp. Any other suggestions that can do at least 5.1 and $600 or under in price.

Thanks
RH

paul_pci
05-28-2006, 11:47 AM
B&W can recommend all they want but the fact remains that they make efficient speakers that play well with a wide range of amplification. I auditioned their 700 line from everthing to a 50watt Arcam integrated to B&K separates to a current Yamaha receiver (1600 I believe) and was hard pressed to articulate the difference. My honest opinion is that you're going to waste money on a lateral move. You could do one of two things: buy a $400 Rotel 2-channel amp (or something similar in your price range) and see if that brings pleasing results, or keep your money and save for a real upgrade to a mid-class receiver.

proulx136
07-11-2006, 07:20 AM
I'm currently looking for a ht reciever to push the 300 series as well, and believe I've found mine. I think the Harmon Kardon AVR 635 is the box for the job. It is rated @ 75 watts per channel, 90 watts stereo, but is very high current. H/K has earned respect over the years as far as being honest about the power they boast. I'd put H/K's 75 watts against Yamaha's 100 any day. I've read many positive reviews about this box. It tends to have a warmer rather then a bright sound which will compliment the already bright B&Ws nicely (i hope.) I have seen it dip below the $600 mark on amazon before, but is currently up around $820. I would save up or wait for it to drop back to you range. Thats what I'm doing. If anyone has any imput on my post, I'd love to hear it. Good luck in your search RH.

topspeed
07-11-2006, 09:48 AM
If your avr still has all of the processing power you need, your best bet is to simply add an amp via the pre-outs on the back and utilize the Yammie as a pre/pro. Used amps are the way to go as there are no moving parts...audigon.com is your friend :). This Adcom GFA 7500 (http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1157520675) is all you'll need. 150wpc X 5 will drive anything you throw at it. Adcom makes great budget amps that are built to last.

Another route is to get a 2 or 3 channel amp and allow the Yammie to drive the center and/or surrounds. Relieved of the duty of driving the front stage, the Yammie will have plenty for the surrounds. Going this route will open more options to you as there are far more 2 channel amps than multi-channel.

Hope this helps.

jocko_nc
07-11-2006, 01:19 PM
Get a used 2-channel Adcom and use the pre-outs. I assume your AVR has them on the mains. I am running a Yamaha RXV650 and an Adcom 545 II. Like he said, the Adcom will take anything you throw at it. $200.00 and you are there.

jocko

jrhymeammo
07-13-2006, 10:03 PM
I have a Rotel RSX-972 HT receiver up for a sale within your budget, if you are interested. But if maybe best to invest in an amplifier like topspeed recommended.