Received a nice compliment from a fellow enthusiast. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Received a nice compliment from a fellow enthusiast.

squeegy200
05-26-2006, 04:32 PM
A good friend and fellow audio enthusiast and I are members of one of our regional audiophile organizations.

We recently had an opportunity to audition the latest Wilson speakers attached to some of the latest VTL amplifiers.

Before we went to the event, he insisted on coming over to my place and visit before going to the audition. We listened to my stereo setup for a few hours before heading off.

Once there, we listened to the Wilson Duettas in one listening space and the Wilson Maxx IIs in another. Both systems were setup with VTLs latest amplifiers. It is a rare opportunity to listen to such expensive equipment in controlled environments.

Afterwards, we both agreed, we enjoyed the smaller Duettas more than the larger Maxx IIs.

However, he surprised me by telling me he enjoyed the listening experience created by my humble Magneplanar SMGs more than the expensive Wilson/VTL setups we had just heard.

That was quite a compliment considering one of the systems we auditioned that evening cost more than the amount I paid for my house!

Just thought I'd share the planar experience.

Florian
05-27-2006, 01:25 AM
Thank you for sharing your story.

I had a similar experience regardings 2 HIFI editors and the the X2's.
Did your read the crossover upgrade?

-Flo

squeegy200
05-29-2006, 04:10 PM
Yes I read the discussion. I also frequent the Magnepan Users Group. In it there are lots of tweeks listed including crossover upgrades for many different Magnepan models.

Unfortunately, there is only one schematic posted for the humble little SMGs and its not accurate. It apparently is more accurate for SMGa, b, and c versions of the SMGs. But I've done binding post and wiring upgrades as well as Vertical floor/cieling mounts similar to those used by Acoustats based on information from MUG.

There is one active user who has experimented with many of the modifications and has done extensive writes ups on the smaller Maggies.

However, there is a plethora of information if you own any of these planar speakers.

So I may have to pull the socks on my Maggies and dive into the wire/crossover upgrade myself.