Subwoofer Question on the Woofers Location Inside the Sub [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer Question on the Woofers Location Inside the Sub

EdwardGein
05-26-2006, 03:46 PM
On my Subwoofer Accoustic Research ARS108 that I'm currently using in my bedroom, the woofer inside the sub is actually located facing down near the bottom, as opposed to the conventional way I believe of directly facing out. Will this cause more bass or sub sound to seep down to the apartment directly below me or it won't make a difference? Any speculation/guess appreciated.

N. Abstentia
05-26-2006, 04:57 PM
Well, flip it over on it's side so the woofer faces sideways and find out!

EdwardGein
05-26-2006, 05:50 PM
Thanks you're a gentileman & a scholar & a credit to your people.

Fergymunster
05-26-2006, 06:09 PM
Thanks you're a gentileman & a scholar & a credit to your people.
You could let's say get four brickes or flat rocks from some where in the woods and place a wooden surface such as ply wood for example and place the sub on that.If however it's on carpet it should surpress the vibrations somewhat but if on hard wood floor could cause noise that would carry dounstairs.The main point being if the feet of the sub is above the floor or carpet chances are it would solve you problem.

kexodusc
05-26-2006, 06:57 PM
The bass sound waves are so large that the downfiring vs. front firing differences will be minimal...the physical air pressure caused by the woofer pushing it is another matter, but I doubt the sub has enough strength to blow a hole in the floor.

It's then just a matter off sound pressure level and the absorption/deflection capabilities of the floor between you and your neighbor underneath.

The downfiring sub is technically closer and directing bass straigth down, but still, if you measured the differenes in SPL between the 2 designs, the difference, while not zero, wouldn't make the difference between your neighbor hearing it and getting upset, or not.

Ever stand in an adjacent room while the sub's playing? It seems "boomy" or louder sometimes. The room is resonating as well. This tends to be more of what your neighbor hears than the direct sound from the sub.

Fergymunster
05-26-2006, 07:09 PM
The bass sound waves are so large that the downfiring vs. front firing differences will be minimal...the physical air pressure caused by the woofer pushing it is another matter, but I doubt the sub has enough strength to blow a hole in the floor.

It's then just a matter off sound pressure level and the absorption/deflection capabilities of the floor between you and your neighbor underneath.

The downfiring sub is technically closer and directing bass straigth down, but still, if you measured the differenes in SPL between the 2 designs, the difference, while not zero, wouldn't make the difference between your neighbor hearing it and getting upset, or not.

Ever stand in an adjacent room while the sub's playing? It seems "boomy" or louder sometimes. The room is resonating as well. This tends to be more of what your neighbor hears than the direct sound from the sub.
I agree that turning the sub up all the way is not really benifical to anyone including the people dounstairs and the people adjacent to you.However,four bricks could act as a source for the "absorbtion facter" so in this respect you could place any flat wood over that and chances are you would solve the problem.

EdwardGein
05-26-2006, 08:10 PM
I actually have it over a heavy duty isolation pad, albeit this sub doesn't have legs & I should have clarified my post a little in that my downstairs neighbor hasn't complained about that sub which isn't as powerful as my main sub which accoustically didn't work that well in the confines of a small closed room. No matter how much I tryed to make adjustment to it, it still would not be effective in that room. Consequentially this sub works better because it is not as powerful. Anyway, I was thinking of getting a better sub to replace this. It looks like at minimum I should get one with legs on it. I'm hoping to get one with deeper bass but not overpowering but the problem is in that room its trial & error with the acoustics.

Fergymunster
05-27-2006, 07:06 AM
I actually have it over a heavy duty isolation pad, albeit this sub doesn't have legs & I should have clarified my post a little in that my downstairs neighbor hasn't complained about that sub which isn't as powerful as my main sub which accoustically didn't work that well in the confines of a small closed room. No matter how much I tryed to make adjustment to it, it still would not be effective in that room. Consequentially this sub works better because it is not as powerful. Anyway, I was thinking of getting a better sub to replace this. It looks like at minimum I should get one with legs on it. I'm hoping to get one with deeper bass but not overpowering but the problem is in that room its trial & error with the acoustics.
Check out the Mirage omni series of subs 8",10" and 12" I personally own the Mirage omni s 8 sub and I'm extremely impressed with it.The 8" alone puts out enough bass to fill a fairly large room.i.e.your apartment.Also on sale now,so you can search the web to find the best deal if that's what you want to do.

EdwardGein
05-27-2006, 08:35 AM
Thanks I'll check that out

BKSinAZ
05-31-2006, 01:19 AM
I've had this sub for years and I never had a problem with the down firing system when I lived in an upstairs apartment.